Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gyro on elevator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro on elevator

Has anyone had any experience using a gyro on the elevator to make landing a touchy plane easier?

Hobby King has gyro for $11, would be cheap to give it a try.
I would guess the heading hold would have to be turned off.

Anyone tried this?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Gyro on elevator

I'm not sure how helpful this reply would be, but I'd have to say if your elevator is touchy add some expo or land in low rate, or check your CG.

There's no way I'd but any gyro that costs 11 dollars on any surface, let alone the elevator of a giant scale plane.

But yes, if you're insistent, then do not, under any circumstances, try using HH while landing.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I prefer planes that would be considered tail-heavy by most standards. They respond better and land slower and don't snap roll at low speeds like a nose-heavy airplane will when holding lots of elevator trying to flair. That being said, it does necessitate small amounts of elevator throw. I like to use a very short arm on the servo and a tall horn on the control surface. This, along with expo makes for a nice handling plane. Most of my planes use 3/16ths to 1/4 inch for full "up."

Have you tried drastically reducing the throws? If so, try to do it mechanically as abve rather than electronically. When done at the radio, you can lose a lot of the expo you dialed in. As far as a gyro is concerned, I have them on rudder on some warbirds with narrow gear. I don't think you would want to use a heading lock gyro as this would likely end bad. Talk to a helicopter person about gyros for more details.

Best regards.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I understand your desire for better elevator control on landing. I find I need LOTS of throw capability for a flare, or to keep the tail planted while taxiing tempramental warbirds with long noses on grass fields, and very little travel for high speed flight. I've always found expo to be the best solution for me. I suggest experimenting with expo travel for your needs using an easily selectable (ie dual rate) switch so you can turn it off easily. Since I started flying 3D, I really like having a lot of expo on all the time without a need for switch flipping as the plane transitions between high and low speed regimes, however doing that requires a LOT of discipline and experience with the plane in knowing exactly how hard you can push (or more importantly "pull" the elevator) without inducing a snap.

I've heard of GS warbird guys using rate gyros on rudders to help tame ground loop tendencies, but never on elevator. As BarracudaHockey says, don't ever use a heading hold gyro on an airplane. If you want to play with them, use a "rate gyro" (which just dampens movement, not tries to hold a particular nose pointing direction).

Joe
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Pete S-RCU

Thanks for the replies.
This plane is a Ziroli Panther, and is really a glider on landing.
It's hard to judge speed on a long approach and if I just touch the elevator it tends to 'porpoise', and then it will bounce.
Not good.
If I can get the speed slow enough, everything is OK.
Problem is, I don't always judge the airspeed right.

So, I was thinking a gyro might help.
A airspeed readout, so I could keep it just above stalling would be great too.
Lot to consider.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I know guys have been using gyros (in rate mode) at Top Gun for years on the elevator so they can rip down the runway a few feet off the ground and not worry about bobbles so, what you're asking has been done.

I still think you're better off looking at the control response of your elevator though.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Ed

Expo and reduced rates for landing.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same problem with a BVM Sabre.

It needs lots of elevator to take off (nose heavy, fuel forward of CG)
but was touchy on landing once the fuel had burnt off.

I just increased the expo, it's at 60% now, sounds a lot but it made
it much easier to land. - John.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Pete S-RCU

I will try reducing the travel on low-rate for landing.
I don't like expo because if the speed gets too slow on approach the rate gets faster as you pull more elev and can get me in trouble.
I prefer a linear control response.
Now if I had an airspeed readout with an audible tone as I approach stall speed, that would be ideal.
Have to look into that too I suppose.
I have 9303 now, sort of waiting till I see a good system with telemetry.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
STUKA BARRY

Sounds to me like you need more flap throw. Deploying flap while feeding in down elevator should give you an equal amount of drag for a precision landing. May be just alittle more practice will hone in your landing skills. The Grumman F9F Panther should'nt require and gyro on any flight control. Good-luck
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Pete S-RCU

I know what you mean, it's a good flying airplane.
It's a glider on landing, and likes to float forever.
If I goof up just a little, it bounces.
If I get it slowed down just right, it settles in easy.
I'm just looking to prevent the occasional screw up.
A little insurance sort of.'
I've been flying this Panther 7 years now, great flying plane.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some GEEBEEYR1 pilots use a gyro to assist stability but that is because of the short tail....... oh, and some very naughty 3D pilots also uses gyros to prop hang (you have not heard it from me....)

As per the other gentlemenresponses - consider reducing the Low rate probably by 40% as compared to high rate (or the movement you have now) - I have seen a number of planes this year that was very difficult to fly and when they reduce the elevator and aileron movement - in one case of a Cessna by 55% for low range, it became a sweet flying plane.
Take off and land on low rates and do upper airwork on high rates. Having everything on high rate for landing and take off does not make you necessarily a better pilot, reducing the rates makes it a nicer plane to fly. Save yourself $11 and possibly a plane...

Gyros, if not installed correctly, can be a high tech way of crashing a plane.....

Cheers

Bundu