Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

pt-19 finish

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM
kitman09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pt-19 finish

hi, was wanting to know if the finish on the pt-19 should show the weave or be smooth. im covering a dynaflite pt-19 in dress lining. thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM
heinzulrich

Default RE: pt-19 finish

From my observations , I have never seen a fabrice covered air frame where the weave is showing. Go to a full size air field where they have that type of airplane and look. You will find that the weave does not show...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly the dichotomy between modelers and full scale builders/restorers. We sell to both and not once, never has a full scale builder ever wanted the fabric to show. If anything they go to the extreme for it NOT to show. In fact, there was a Stagerwing at Oshkosh where the finish tapes were not readily apparent even on close examination. When the secret was told, he had actually covered the plane again after it was stitched and never applied a finishing tape anywhere on the plane. The FAA was furious and made him Re-cover it correctly.

Anyhow, the fabric or weave should not show on any model and the pinked tapes should just be a hint that they are there. Most modelers over dramatize that it's fabric covered.

After thinking about it a little more, a PT-19 wing is plywood covered with light fabric. What weave is there is barely discernible on the wing. The control surfaces are fabric but you still can't see the weave of the fabric.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
kitman09

thanks, i will fill the weave completely then, thanks alot.