Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM
skyarrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

I recently purchase a used CMP AT-6 Texan airplane with 81" wing span . The plane looked great with Sierra retracts and a nice looking cockpit. The builder had done a great job adding some nice touches that I could not turn down such a nice looking model. Before I got a chance to fly it for the first time, I had a mishap with the wing and put a hole in the underside of it. I called and emailed everyone I could find that sells this plane to either purchase a new wing or get some covering that would match what is on it. I even emailed CMP multiple times to see if they might be able to send me a roll of covering.

Much to my dismay, I was not able to find any covering or a new wing. I was able to put some covering that was close and cover it with a new decal and it looks pretty good, but my problem is... what if I really needed parts to fix this plane after a crash.

I really love the look of this AT-6 and in my opinion, it looks nicer and has a larger wing span than the TF model. But there is no service behind these planes. If you ever need parts, you might as well put them in the trash.

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up on what I think are really nice looking planes. BEWARE of CMP airplanes if you think you might ever need service.

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

Welcome to the real world of CMP. I've had three of them. They CAN be made to fly good but you need to be a builder to know what to look for. These planes are classified more as BARFs. Builders ARFs. They tend to build heavy, throw the hardware package away(its poor quality), ignore the CG recommendations (ask the forums what works or calculate for yourself), look for obvious build problems (wing incedence, structure defects and so on). All three of mine had lightening holes cut into the retract mounting rail ribs. Very bad idea, I beefed it up with some 1.8" ply. Mine flew ok (2 spitfires and a zero) but you have to watch your landing speed. Get too slow and they stall pretty suddenly. And dont count on any spares. You're lucky if you find some. I striped my zero completely because the paint was chipping and refinished it with ultracoat on the wings and stab, then used rustoleum off white for the glass fuse.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70776.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	1875517  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM
skyarrow1

Very nice looking plane... thanks for the info.

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I have a 25% CMP Corsair and I got it used in a trade. I'm glad I didn't buy it new !
It has the fiberglass fuse and wing. Very detailed and it looks great but it's not built very well. It's a bit of a lump but it flies OK. Any breaks or issues on that wing and it will take a lot of time to repair it and make it look decent . I was looking for a cowl and went as far as emailing the manufacturer and had no luck. Ended up just glassing and repairing it.
Most manufacturers will sell you replacement covering by the foot. CMP you can't even get parts !
Good luck .
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
rcfighterjock

Edwin is right on the money. I have a number of CMP planes and I did manage to get a number of spare cowls and a few canopies, but once they are gone...forget it. I agree with every observation as far as the building. I haven't had CG issues on the big planes. The one I'm flying the most right now is the AT-6. Skyarrow, you're right as well. Looks much nicer and gives a far better presence that the TF version. That being said, I had a major hangar-rash incident and instead of being able to replace the wing I had to buy a new plane. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. Keep 'em flying! Dave
Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont understand why anyone would buy any of those cheap made arfs, buy the time you modify one to make it airworthy you could build one from a kit, there are some good flyers out there thanks to all the ARFs, but there arent many modelers left.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CMP is probably still in business because we don't research as you fellows have done.....
Pictures of planes are pretty and get us excited.........If they keep up the poor quality they will eventually close or sell out to someone else.
I'll surely stay away from them, thanks to you guys...
Old 04-27-2022, 11:42 AM
4dogspete

Angry CMP Yak 54 ARF 140 - 71.5"

I know I am replying to an old thread but hoping someone can provide some help!
Bought this fiberglass airplane at the Perry GA Auction - Seems a bit heavy - and tail heavy.
With a DLE20cc moved forward about 1" and tryin to get the CG balanced at 30% - it's going to take a 4oz spinner nut and about 8OZ of lead in the cowl to get close to the 30% CG point.
Anyone have CG suggestions? or other thoughts other than - START OVER???
Pete

Old 05-02-2022, 06:41 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Is the stab tube aluminum? You can replace with CF. Rudder pull pull cables steel? Replace with Kevlar. Anything in the tail that can be replaced with lighter components will help.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:12 AM
4dogspete

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Is the stab tube aluminum? You can replace with CF. Rudder pull pull cables steel? Replace with Kevlar. Anything in the tail that can be replaced with lighter components will help.
Tried to find the correct CG by laying out the MAC and going from there. CG seems like it's about on the wing tube about 6(+) inches from the front of the wing at the fuse. That is about 35% from the front of the wing at the root - maybe just a bit more. Had to use an 8oz brass spinner hub and at least another 8oz lead in front of the firewall to get it to balance at the 6" CG. With all of that full up weight (dry) is at about 14.8oz. Seems like a lot for a DLE 20! What do you think? Anyone???
Old 05-02-2022, 07:56 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Yes, that is too much additional weight for and airplane that is already on the heavy side. For DLE 20 max weight for good performance is 11 lbs. The key here as explained in my first post is weight reduction behind the CG.
The following users liked this post:
sensei (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 01:40 PM
jlorenco
My Feedback: (11)

I've had a couple CMP planes a number of years ago an they were pretty decent, sorry to hear this.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:46 PM
Dumbthumbs67

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.