Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 AM
skyarrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

I am getting ready to make the jump into giant scale flying... what I am curious about, what is the main difference between flying something really large, say 80" wingspan and up, and 40 or 60 size airplanes? I have flown a Big Stick, but have purchase a monster stick to get the feel of giant scale flying and have not had a chance. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks...

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Main Difference In Flying Giant Scale

taking cost out the bigger birds does seem to do things slower so the timing is easier to control, some of today's smaller birds (3dhs, EF) fly very well then say 10 years ago smaller birds.....
Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say you need to be more careful on your landings. 15-20+ lbs of momentum can wreak havoc on your gear and gear mounts when/if bounced hard? You may also have more of a tendency to land on the far side of the strip (in the weeds?) because you're used to looking at a smaller plane? Judging airspeed might be a little tricky at first as well. Your timing might be totally screwed up when it comes to acrobatics as well. You want to keep them 3-4 mistakes high until you get retrained there too. Depending on the plane, I'd be very cautious until I had a chance to check out control travels and CG on those first few flights. The need for flying wires? I'm sure there's more, but that's all that come to mind for me. -Al
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Takeoff is easy if speed is high enough with a nice rollout. Keep the aircraft higher until you are used to the scale difference. They are easier to see and keep in view for my older eyes. I start prep for landing sooner and prepare for longer rolls. Fun times ahead.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 AM
skyarrow1

I have a tendency now to cut all power on landings... I normally come in high. I have heard on larger aircraft you should not do this, they need some power for landings. Not really worried about aerobatics right now, just want to learn to fly the plane so it looks scale. Also, should I adjust my transmitter to slow some the the transitions down some to make it look more scale? Sorry it the terminology is not correct.

Thanks for all of the great suggests... really am learning a lot.

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 AM
karolh

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Adding some Expo to the main control functions will certainly help to soften the control around the neutral point and aid in smoother flight responses from the model.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 AM
ahicks

Regarding cutting the power on landings? That works fine. Just be prepared t get back on the power and go around at the very first sign the landing is not going as it should.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Have a Sr Telemaster, a 1/4 Sopwith Pup, and a 80" OV-10 Bronco. All three require a little more throttle than my 40-60 size planes for a smooth landing. They tend to handle better in windy conditions, react slower and are easier to see than my smaller planes. Above all, have fun!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Cutting power on landings is a function of wing loading and not the size of the aircraft.

The biggest difference that I noticed is I kept trying to land further out.

A bigger plane is easier to see, and more stable, especially in the wind.

What kind of plane are you thinking?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Good suggestions so far! I always told new giant scale guys that their plane will always be going faster and be farther away than they think it is. For many people, speed seems to be hard to judge when going to larger planes.

A good comparison from full scale is watching a large airliner such as a 747 on landing approach compared to something like a small Cessna. The large plane looks like it is going very slowly ..... looks like it could fall out of the sky at any second because it is moving so slowly. But it is moving well over 150 MPH on approach and over 120 when it touches down. Similarly the smaller Cessna is actually traveling much slower than the airliner yet appears to be moving faster. In fact, in some cases the small plane could be moving half the speed of the larger plane but still appear to be moving faster. Its just an illusion due to the vast difference in size between the planes.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 AM
CafeenMan

I don't fly giant scale although it's on my list of things to do. But I very strongly recommend you learn to land all of your planes properly with power on. I think any pilot at least of intermediate level should be able to do that with any plane that is appropriate for them unless you're in a gear-up situation or have a hand-launch plane that has no gear.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me last fall. At the field I have been using for over 20 years.

I went up with my new Giant Stick. It flew great. I come around to land, ad at the end of our filed there is a raw of trees. I flew right into one of them (I was sure I was much closer to the landing strip than I really was).

So:

a) Be careful with the perspective because the model is much bigger than other models.

b) Careful with the landings, the model is heavier and carries more momentum. In the case of the GS, no worries, that wing is a monster.... It will float in...

Bigger flies much better, you will find out that soon enough...

Gerry
Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 AM
jack steward350
My Feedback: (7)

Mike, These are all very good and true suggestions. I would agree with all of them. As for powered up landings the gentlemen who stated that that is dependented on the wing loading and not the size of the bird is as correct as correct gets. As a Psychologist there is that variable of the feeling of stepping up to a larger size and a greater expense. Relax your self as the truth is larger models, set up properly, are easier to fly, easier to see, easier to take off, easier to land and less effected by the weather conditions. The part that is more difficult is storage , transportation and getting them through doorways and into vehicles. You will adjust to the size and flying characturistics of a larger model fairly quickly and the anxiety of "stepping up" will fade fast. You are in for a treat!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wing loading is totally different. A 30 oz. per sq. ft. loading on a .40 sized model is going to be a handful.
On an 80+ in wing, it is no problem at all - of course I am speaking generally.

The larger the aircraft, the more tolerance they have for wing loading.
And as others have stated, they generally fly slower (or appear to be flying slower), instilling more confidence in the pilot.

They are not as effected by wind speed or direction - again, generall speaking.
Bigger Flies Better, bottom line.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM
skyarrow1

Wow... thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. I have a few (ask my wife it is more than a few) giant scale planes. The GS is going to be my first and I also have a 1/3 scale Fly Baby Bipe. I am trying to get ready for the SodBuster event in August. I want to fly my 105" Jenny and AeroWorks Stearman PT-17. I think the Jenny will be no problem once I get some time on the other two, but the AeroWorks Stearman does make me think a little. It is by far the most expensive plane I have and has a Satio 5 cylinder Golden Knight 53CC 325 Radial that purrs like a kitten.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and now just to get out and have some fun... I just needs to stop raining here in Georgia.

Mike
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy has the AW Stearman with a Seidel 7-70 radial.
Piece o' cake!!

Have fun
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
GerKonig

One more thing... Not related to actually having the model in the air. When you approach that door to go out of the shed/shop/house/whatever, be very careful with the tail, and hangar rush. While going and coming to the field, make sure the models wings, whatever is safely stored in the vehicle... Again, things are bigger and ready to move at any turn:-)

Good luck!

Gerry
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

One more thing... Not related to actually having the model in the air. When you approach that door to go out of the shed/shop/house/whatever, be very careful with the tail, and hangar rush. While going and coming to the field, make sure the models wings, whatever is safely stored in the vehicle... Again, things are bigger and ready to move at any turn:-)

Good luck!

Gerry
Ah yes, the proverbial bird beak dent from that door jamb you hit on teh way out of your house/garage

Jeff
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
sensei

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigger flies much better because cubed loading and Reynolds numbers are working in your favor instead of against you, but keep in mind, lighter wing loadings are key if you desire slow power off landings.

Bob
Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Mike,

What I did when going from .40 size planes to Giant Scale was this. If you are flying a Sweet Stick with a .40 engine, you might be using a 10X6 prop. Take a 12X5 and get use to the plane flying on it's wing, not on the power. The Sweet Stick will still fly, but not as fast as before. That 12X5 prop will also work as a drag brake and slow you down on landing approach causing you to use more power.
Also with the plane flying slower than it use to, you may have to mix rudder and aileron to get your turns smoother. I like to mix them manual, no mixing through the radio.

Another thing is this, bring the plane you are flying in clooser to you now while landing. Get use to seeing this plane a little bigger than before. This will help you adjust to seeing a larger plane in the air and when making a landing. When you get to the aerobatics, don't be afraid the plane won't do them. The power of the larger engines will pull the plane through the manuver but it will be a little slower than before. Also, if you are not accustom to using right rudder in vertical manuvers, such as a loop or stall turn, try it now, because the larger power plant will torque the plane to the left while climbing. When you come off the power at the back side of the vertical manuver, you will have to add LEFT rudder to keep the plane from going right. Good Luck and enjoy Giant Scale flying....

Larry
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
kaboomski

During landing take a brief glance of the spot where you intend to land and focus back to the plane a few times. This will help A LOT to evaluate the attitude, speed, and above all the distance of the plane. Works well on smaller planes too!

kaboomski;
Old 07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bigger flies much better because cubed loading and Reynolds numbers are working in your favor instead of against you, but keep in mind, lighter wing loadings are key if you desire slow power off landings.

Bob
So far, no one has mentioned the drag difference between larger and smaller airplanes. Often, it is necessary to keep power on during landings just to overcome the high drag produced by some airframes and low pitch, high diameter props at idle. Large biplanes and airframes such a YAK or Sukhoi with a large, round cowl often require quite a bit of power on landing just to keep them moving. One can easily end up well short of the runway if power is cut too soon. Now this can also be your friend and the braking effect is also good as it produces a more constant speed airplane during some maneuvers. Also good on landing if you know it exists and you use this to your advantage. Practice dead stick landings though so when you have to do one for real one day, there won't be any surprises.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bob
So far, no one has mentioned the drag difference between larger and smaller airplanes. Often, it is necessary to keep power on during landings just to overcome the high drag produced by some airframes and low pitch, high diameter props at idle. Large biplanes and airframes such a YAK or Sukhoi with a large, round cowl often require quite a bit of power on landing just to keep them moving. One can easily end up well short of the runway if power is cut too soon. Now this can also be your friend and the braking effect is also good as it produces a more constant speed airplane during some maneuvers. Also good on landing if you know it exists and you use this to your advantage. Practice dead stick landings though so when you have to do one for real one day, there won't be any surprises.
There would be so many fewer serious crashes if people would just listen to this enough to practice engine out scenarios once in a while!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
skyarrow1

These are some great ideas... I do fly real flight simulator when I am idle, other than learning just basic handling, is there anything special I can do with that?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Sky,
The biggest difference (in my opinion) that I can tell is that the bigger airplanes fly more like a cadillac, more smoothly. There is much great advice on this subject in this thread. I recommend you load up your planes and go out there and have some fun! Keep in mind that the higher torque servos will drain flight batteries down faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.