Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Robart electric retracts stopped working

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Robart electric retracts stopped working

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Svante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart electric retracts stopped working

I bought a set of Robart electric rotating retracts for my giant corsair some time ago. As the building of the kit has taken a long time I have yet to have them really tested, but they are now mounted in the half finished wing. Cycling in and out has been working fine for a while but today one of the retracts suddenly stopped dead in its tracks. It definitely is the retract that is the problem as switching the two between the different ports of the controller always has the same one not working. The motor seems to be twitching a little on activating, and at first I got it to move again for couple of cycles by pushing on the leg when activating. Now though the motor just moves a fraction and then stops dead.

Short update: I unplugged everything and tried cycling once more. Now the problem unit actually retracted as it should, but when lowering gear once more it stopped at the same place like when the problem first appeared. This is at a point just before it's fully out. Seems like it thinks it's done before it should.

Anyone experienced the same and have tips to fix? Robart will of course be contacted also.

Thanks
Henning

Last edited by Svante; 06-10-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-10-2015, 01:49 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try loosening the retract all 4 of the mounting bolts and retry . If the gear operates as it should then the gear is being twisted by tightening the bolts down. This means your gear rails aren't parallel and you will need to shim the gear at the low spots to eliminate binding .
Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Svante

Thanks for tip. It might very well have been binding by twisted install, but when I loosened the bolts I found another problem that seems more likely to have been the cause now. Just loosening the bolts did not do it, but once completely out of the wing the unit once more worked as it should. Looking more closely I found that both the electrical wires going into the motor had worn through the plastic. I think that the two wires actually shorted at the same point of movement thus stopping the motor. Once out of the wing I could separate the two wires and also apply protective coating. As for now the unit seems to be working fine. Will though have to remount it back in the wing to really call off the issue.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
spaceworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Svante View Post
...the electrical wires going into the motor had worn through the plastic. I think that the two wires actually shorted at the same point of movement ....
Do you think the wires were worn or maybe they overheated due to a stalled motor and burned through the insulation? Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-29-2015, 02:44 AM
Svante

Sorry for the late reply. The wires definitely were worn through. They had rubbed against the pretty sharp edge of the retract housing. Has worked fine since.
Regards. Henning