Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Miiles Reed's Weeks Solution X CG

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Miiles Reed's Weeks Solution X CG

Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 AM
paco ritter
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miiles Reed's Weeks Solution X CG

Need a little help on this plane folks. I purchased a used already built Miles Reed version of Kermit Weeks Solution X bipe, 77" wingspan, and am in process of bringing it back to life with a new 85cc engine and covered in a modified version of Kermit Weeks black plane. What I really need to know is where is the CG on this plane located? I have researched and found some statements about the CG being pretty broad, but I still don't understand the terms used to describe where it is located. If anyone has the plans from this version and can enlighten me as to where the CG should be located, it would put me on the road to being ready to fly. Thanks...PACO RITTER, Texarkana, Arkansas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Solution X.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	2129656  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:10 PM
MFIGHT43

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get an answer? I have the plans and it shows the CG 5-5.25" back from the leading edge of the top wing.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM
paco ritter

Default Weeks Solution X balance point

Originally Posted by MFIGHT43 View Post
Did you ever get an answer? I have the plans and it shows the CG 5-5.25" back from the leading edge of the top wing.

Thanks, I bought the plans so I could get the exact location.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM
MFIGHT43

Oh, okay. Have you flown it? I have one as well, just waiting for the right day to take her up.

Name:	Weeks5.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2150876  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM
paco ritter

Oh, okay. Have you flown it? I have one as well, just waiting for the right day to take her up.

Man, you got a nice looking plane there. I have not flown mine yet either, like you, waiting for the right day. I need to finish balancing mine, by all indications, it was nose heavy and I have moved my batteries back behind the canopy to try to offset some of the nose heaviness, but have not checked the CG again yet. I am hoping this will get me there. If not, it's gonna take some severe shuffling to get any more weight toward the tail. I also have one servo in the rear bottom of the plane for the rudder like my Great Planes Matt Chapman 33% paintball CAP580. It works well, better than pull/pull systems if you have the room to put one back there. Mine weighs in at 21lbs 12 oz dry, 77In wingspan (or close) From what I hear, these are some really good flying planes. I sold a 92" Pitts (like a Python) in the Red Bull scheme (way too much trouble to assemble) The Miles Reed version of the Solution X is a snap to put together and looks good, too. I have mine done up in my favorite adult beverage scheme and the bottom of both wings and tail are in the same checkerboard as the rudder.....Mine is powered by a new brand engine on the market sold by Mile High Hobby in Denver. It is a DJ85, single cylinder 85cc engine with a 3 blade prop. I have to to test run it also, have not put any fuel thru it yet, so I'm still in the "getting ready" stage I guess. Just almost there!!!

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2150879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	2150880  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:37 PM
MFIGHT43

Well, I can't claim I built it. Bought it from a guy's estate and knew it was an awesome plane. It has a 3W75 engine and weighs 26 lbs. Yours looks great too! I am hoping to fly it on Sunday
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gents,

Let me share a little information with you. The Weeks Solution X is the best flying biplane I have seen in my 16 years of flying RC, BAR NONE !. My best friend has one he built in 1994 that has a 3W72 twin in the nose. He has been building and flying R/C planes for a VERY long time and he says he rather fly his Weeks than any other plane he has ever built or flown, except for his 35% Carden Extra 330. He just recovered it last year and it looks like brand new and ready for 20 more years. If you fella's would like some pictorial inspiration, tell me what the maximum JPEG file size is and I will see if I can dig some up.

Hey Paco Ritter, where did you find your plans? There was a guy in Ohio that had plans for ALL of Miles Reed's kits, but he stopped selling them a long time ago.

Hey MFIGHT43, that's an AWESOME looking Solution you have there.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by hrrcflyer; 03-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 PM
paco ritter

David, here is the contact info for the set of plans for this plane and I just got mine around the first of the year, so he is still in business
: plans are $40.00 ( shipping included) and payment can be made out to and sent to Dave Dessecker, 6607 Cherry Run Rd. NW, Strasburg, Ohio 44680 either by personal check or bank money order.

I would be interested in anything you can send me on the Weeks Solution X. email is: [email protected]. I think I can handle about any size jpeg, shoot it to me.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:41 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got in contact with Dave Dessecker thru this email about plans [email protected]. I hope he don't mind me sharing it. He seems like a great guy and is going to get me a set for the 120 size X. The ARF has really made it hard for kit and plan suppliers to make money.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Squirrel,

I am curious about something. Take a look at your plans when you get them. If the bottom wing is not swept like the top, it is not a Solution X, it is a Weeks Solution. I eluded to this in my previous response to MFLIGHT43. When Miles Reed sold the plans, the smallest Solution X he had was the 77"WS plane. He had a larger one that he called the Solution XX. The other major difference between the Solution and the Solution X is the fuse is stretched a little bit in length on the Solution X. My Buddy flew the Solution too and said it was a great flying plane, but it did not groove like the Solution X does.

Later Fellas,
David
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 PM
MFIGHT43

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with this plane. Now if I can just get this thing airborne. Still having engine issues. I'll get there someday. I recently replaced the fuel system since it was about 10 yrs old.

This is the 77" span version with both wings swept.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2151778   Click image for larger version

Views:	77
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2151779  
Old 03-10-2016, 04:53 AM
dasquirrelisme

The 120 size I have has both wings swept. So does that make it the X?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:14 PM
hrrcflyer

Not having my copy of the catalog I had, it is impossible for me to tell you with any degree of certainty. If you have access to a catalog describing both 120 size planes and your fuse is longer than the 120 size Weeks Solution, I would say you have an X.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:14 PM
dasquirrelisme

Here is a couple pics. Not sure if that would help identify it.

Name:	weeks1.png
Views:	922
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	2151971   Click image for larger version

Name:	weeks2.png
Views:	1091
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	2151972  
Old 03-13-2016, 03:58 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Squirrel,

It is hard to tell from the pics you posted. It looks to me like the wings on your Solution are symmetrical. If that's the case, I am lost because I am not familiar enough with the Solution, What I know for a fact is that the wings on the Solution X are semi-symmetrical.

Regardless, you have a nice looking Weeks and it should fly very well.

David
Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM
MFIGHT43

Finally maidened the plane!! BEST AIRCRAFT EVER! So much fun, and definitely a show stopper!

Name:	Weeks7.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	2156566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weeks8.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	697.5 KB
ID:	2156567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weeks11.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	775.5 KB
ID:	2156568  
Old 04-09-2016, 07:34 PM
paco ritter

Your Weeks is looking very good. Love the smoke, outstanding!!! Got mine airborne about 2 weeks ago, have about 6 flights on it now. First thing I took note of is it has no bad habits, no tip stalls, no snaps, a very predictable bipe. Lands really slow and easy, nothing to shake you up without warning. I like that. My 21 lb 12 oz plane with an 85cc engine is gracious plenty powerful, no stopping it in a vertical climb. I am using a 3 blade prop, more for looks than anything, so I might be sacrificing some performance, but with my set up, I have way more than needed anyway. I have got to start mixing/trimming electronically to take out some roll coupling and pulling on knife edge to perfect it's performance and really make me look like a way better pilot than I am ( ah...the conveniences of modern technology!!!!) I need to give it a little time and wait for our calm days to return. Not sure if the wind up higher is causing more issue or the engine needs more right thrust. It is pretty stout on take off, requires a lot of right rudder to track straight, more than I use on my other planes. That issue might also could be calmed down by changing the thurst line I think.

So far I am very impressed with the Weeks, it is going to be an oustanding bipe, probably one of the best I have ever owned. Better than my Pitts, S2 or round nose, Christen Eagle, and equal to if not better than all of the Ultimates I have had. I might just have to move back up the line to the 92" version with an EME120 on it. I think it would be a killer combo!!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:02 PM
hrrcflyer

Congratulations to you both on your successful maidens. The Solution X is an AWESOME biplane, no doubt. I hope you both enjoy many years of enjoyable flights on your planes. . . . .
Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 PM
MFIGHT43

20 flights now and still so awesome! I've changed the canopy ( Fiberglass Specialties) and Falcon CF prop and painted a thing or two. So good!

Views:	1053
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2161790  
Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM
hrrcflyer

Looks AWESOME Mfight43. . . . .
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 AM
MFIGHT43

Thanks hrrc! I'm getting better at the flying and setting up.

BTW, Paco how do you like the DJ 85? I see your plane is on Mile Hi's website!

Do do you have anymore photos of your setup? Your engine seems more concealed than mine and I love the look of the 3-blade.

Views:	940
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2164173  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM
paco ritter

Thanks hrrc! I'm getting better at the flying and setting up.

BTW, Paco how do you like the DJ 85? I see your plane is on Mile Hi's website!

Do do you have anymore photos of your setup? Your engine seems more concealed than mine and I love the look of the 3-blade.
Thanks, MFIGHT43. Was not aware Mike had it on his website. So far, the DJ85 has proven to be an excellent choice. I have never owned a single this large so I don't really know how it compares to others. It pulls my almost 22 lb plane with authority, no lack of power at all. I am sure it sacrifices some power with the 3 blade prop, but since the plane is probably overpowered anyway, a slight loss doesn't seem to make a difference. Besides, I love the look of the three blade prop on the plane also. I haven't gotten the knack of easy starting down yet. This is also my first plane to have a servo operated choke. With the carb exiting to the rear and actually behind the firewall, it was not feasible to try to use a manually operated choke. My patience runs a bit less than way back when, so if it does not fire up in a reasonable length of time, I put my hand held electric starter on it and away we go!!! Never failed to start with that rig!!! Engine purrs like a kitten, runs really good and seems to have ample power. I had to shorten the muffler (as you know, the cowl is short on a Solution). To keep from cutting into the firewall and losing the integrity of that, I elected to take off about a half inch of the muffler, then weld the end back on to it. Once again, this could actually have caused some power loss, but I can't really see that I need any more power. With a rear carb, this allowed me to get the entire engine under the cowl without butchering it up too much. I actually bought a new cowl from Fiberglass Specialties, but after cutting it out, it was so close to the cowl that came on the plane when I bought it, I elected to just slightly modify the old cowl and use it. The correct mounts were already in place, so I painted it and used it. Only major change is 3 bolts holding the cowl to the firewall instead of 4. The fourth one is behind the muffler, no way to get a bolt in that slot. So far it has not been an issue, 3 bolts hole the cowl plenty good. I have more pics at home, I'll attach them later. I have not been able to fly now for a few weeks for one reason or the other. I hope to get back in the groove this weekend and get some stick time. I still have trimming and fine tuning to do on the Weeks. It's gonna be a good plane, I can tell that already....PACO
Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 AM
paco ritter

Here's a good picture of my Weeks taken in late April at our annual "Fly The LIne" fly in. I didn't notice that I had skewed my wheel pants when I pulled my plane tail high in the grass to the flight line. Guess I was too busy to notice during start up. Wheel pants are attached with (I think) Robart or Great Planes clamp style attachments to the axle. They work OK but need to watch for this type movement of the wheel pants. Actually, they did just as designed, moved instead of broke!!!! Still, I think it is an outstanding picture despite my foul up!!!!

Name:	shiner solution x.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	2164208  
Old 05-30-2016, 03:20 PM
MFIGHT43

Looks pretty good! Say, what scale pilot did you end up using? Looks proportionately correct.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM
paco ritter

Looks pretty good! Say, what scale pilot did you end up using? Looks proportionately correct.
Not sure, the pilot figure was in the plane when I bought it from a guy in San Antonio, TX. He had purchased it at a swap meet some 5 years or so prior and never gotten around to recovering the tail fin, which is all it needed to be airworthy. When he saw my add wanting a Solution, he contacted me, we made a deal and he delivered to within 75 miles of my location where his daughter lived. Worked out great for both of us. Got three more flights on the Solution yesterday. It's getting better!!!!