Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/3 Pitts Special ARF version 1 build questions.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great Planes 1/3 Pitts Special ARF version 1 build questions.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Denfly31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 1/3 Pitts Special ARF version 1 build questions.

I have a new in the box GP Pitts ARF that seems to be the first version from 2001. I have some questions about the mods to make the airframe air worthy. There are a few threads here on RCU with some great info that I've gone through. Just wanted some more if possible.

First Problem is the top wing center section were the 90* metal brackets mount with wood screws. There is a small piece of spruce to screw to and apparently the predrilled holes can miss the spruce. I inserted a T pin through 2 of the holes and looked into the center section with a flash light, they go through the center of the spruce. The other two holes I cant see. So a solution maybe to remove the covering and larger plywood blocks?

second is the 90* brackets, I've read that if there shinny they need to be replaced. They get stress cracks.and fail. I have the shinny brackets.

third would be the fire wall needs to be beefed up. This is not to big a deal and is easy to do. I'm going to try mounting a DLE 55ra that I have and build a tray for a smoke system and the throttle servo. I'm also looking into landing gear from TNT, I guess there taller, wider and stronger. Any info or pics would be great for you guys that had this Pitts or are still flying the plane. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
ChrisK-RCU

http://www.greatplanes.com/techsuppo...a1218tech.html

Th addenda to the Pitts manual can be found at the above link.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Denfly31

Thanks for the info. I will be performing the fix to the top wing center section.