Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P51 Mustang 1/5

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Top Flite Giant P51 Mustang 1/5

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:43 AM
erwabo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Giant P51 Mustang 1/5

So, with the generation of builders getting older and the availability of balsa kits dwindling, I decided that I wanted to do a nice build with a TopFlight 1/5 Scale Mustang P-51D while I can still get one. I'd really like to do it right, I found some resources on exhaust manifolds, sliding canopy and there are manufactures for landing gear (seems Sierra is best) though I like the scale of electric gear speed and the door sequencers, not sure the same can be achieved with air. Lines eventually leak but I have heard lots of mixed reviews on Robarts electric retracts. That being said the sliding canopy and gear doors seems to be the least amount of available knowledge on how that has been done. I see Hangar 9 has a 1/5 scale ARF. Any chance those parts MIGHT work with the TF 1/5 scale? Specifically the gear doors and the rails for the canopy slide....or the entire canopy itself, which looks quite nice.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello!
The mustang is my favored plane. I have one on the table that is as old as my son (48) I have built dozens of models since I started on it and only work on it when the mood strikes.

My L.G. gear are air operated Robarts the speed is controlled by restricters, many of the components I purchased at swap meets or made them my self. tons of information is available on the P-51 and several build threads are on this site a little searching will keep you busy with all the info. I have tons of pics and such just be careful when scaling from drawings none seem to match. Here's a few pics.

This is a old pic.

As it sits today....... Yeah I am slow!

exhaust manifold
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ERWABO.... Clink on this link, I think you'll find a bunch of info as suggested by Donny from the previous link. Myself, I to have a TF Mustang still waiting to get it's feathers, with a ST 60 inline twin/ignition for scoot.
Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-P-51-MUSTANGS

Mike
'ck yur 6'

ps: Donny, is that a TF "Phantom F-4" prop jet hanging?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:27 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

ps: Donny, is that a TF "Phantom F-4" prop jet hanging?

In a word no. That plane has been hanging there for a very long time. it is built from plans for ducted fan. it is the second of two. other projects got in the way of it being completed. If you want more info let me know. I still have the plans (somewhere)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:42 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like P51’s too. Over the years I’ve built a couple but never got to fly them...sold them.

the big issue I’ve had was that the cowls were so narrow that a function and efficient exhaust was really tough to build. Many motors have side intakes that really stick out on the big models. I did precision TIG WELDING FOR A LIVING FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS AND DID A LOT OF THIN MATERIAL WELDING SO TACKLING A p 51 was a challenge. I built a number of very complex full scale stack exhausts for them but it always seemed lacking. Usually the side carb was the issue too.

for this TF 1/5 I think I’d look at the DLE 55 RA it’s got rear exhaust and rear carb. They claim it swings a 22-10 with enough rpm to make the plane fast enough to look reasonably scale in the air. A recent stroke has left me with some double vision issues so the truly intricate TIG welding is probably out for me. Ironically I can see to drive but things up close like typing this note are very difficult. I have to select which letter of two to tap. I’ve already tried welding and it will take some getting used to for sure.
however I think a split manifold could be created for this application that may use only one stack on each side. The rear carb should not be a real problem. The fuel tank may be in the cockpit but the pilot could “sit”on it I think.