Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Opinion of Aluminum Servo Horns?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Opinion of Aluminum Servo Horns?

Old 02-15-2020, 05:38 AM
Bryan McLarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of Aluminum Servo Horns?

Hello, everyone!
Just getting my Top Flite GS P-47 ready and want to know some opinions about Aluminum Servo Horns. I'll be fitting this bird with ProModeler DS180DLHV servos on all flight control surfaces. Some of you may not like this choice, but that's what I've chosen and not really for this discussion. They are full metal gear servos.

Now, up until now in my experience with smaller (30cc sized) planes, I've used the Heavy Duty Du-Bro servo horns without fail. But now I see all over the internet EVERY KIND of aluminum servo horn, various style and mounting types, huge variations in price and soforth.

Are these any good, should I just keep using my Du-Bro on these GS planes or ???

OPINIONS, EXPERIENCES and ADVICE PLEASE:

Last edited by Bryan McLarty; 02-15-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your setup is only as good as your weakest link. For 50cc, I have used the heavy duty plastic control arms and also aluminum. For 100cc and above, for me, I only use aluminum, and on all of my turbines. Anywhere that you go cheap, ask yourself if itís worth loosing a $1500+ plane over that part.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Bryan McLarty

This isnít such a question of whether or not to use them, but which styles to use? Like Iíve brought up before, press fit, clamp on, double clamp on, some are cheap, some seem expensive, why?? Do they strip out??
Old 02-16-2020, 04:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

TF P-47 won't stress out Dubro HD arms, save your money.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 PM
Bryan McLarty

Thanks, BH! I'm still fishing for a good answer to my Aluminum Horns question, but I appreciate your advice. I'll probably stick with the Du-Bros.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I have no problem recommending them where appropriate but I have that exact plane along with a 30cc Spitfire and 60cc Corsair and they all have Dubro arms and as warbirds go, I fly the snot out of them.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:12 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used aluminum servo arms of a few different sources and designs. All have worked just fine. I would say the clamping type are really nessesary for extreme 3D type flying. I do however go by the policy to never use a ball link on a plastic servo arm.