Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Elevator Linkage Recommendation? >

Elevator Linkage Recommendation?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Elevator Linkage Recommendation?

Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator Linkage Recommendation?

Hi All,

I'm currently wrapping up a giant scale Douglas DC-3 project, and would like some suggestions on the servo linkage I should use for the elevator halves. This is a 50 lb. model, so I want to make sure whatever I use is up to the job!

Here is a picture of the elevator control horn, and servo arm:

Center to center between the control horn and the servo arm is just under 3 inches.

I was thinking of using a ball link on the elevator control horn, a 4-40 size control rod, and a solderable clevis on the servo arm. Kind of like this:

I'll probably replace the plastic servo arm with an aluminum one as well. BTW, servo is a Hitec HS-645MG.

I've also looked at the titanium prolinks, but that may be overkill for this project?

Thoughts or ideas?

John
Old 05-18-2020, 04:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I would use a ball link on both ends. The connecting tube is KS 3/16" OD x .049" wall tapped for 4-40.

Last edited by Tony Hallo; 05-18-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

I would use an aluminum servo arm with a ball link at the servo arm to compensate for the offset and then use a metal clevis at the control horn. Do not use a ball link off the side of that type of control horn as the horn will flex and can cause flutter. I've seen that very thing happen many times.