Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Harriermate's Topflite Giant Scale P47

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Harriermate's Topflite Giant Scale P47

Old 08-23-2020, 06:10 AM
harriermate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harriermate's Topflite Giant Scale P47

Ok. Ive finally taken the plunge and decided to open the box of my Giant Scale Topflite P47. Its been in the attic for a few years now. Either sell it or build it I thought! So im going to build it, following many of the great threads already available here and elsewhere.

Its going to be a slow build. Time is always at a premium and I know you're probably bored with the number of P47's. Then again, what's one more. Looking forward to comment and support as I go.

The 'Jug'

Hmmm! Thats a lot of wood!
Old 08-23-2020, 06:12 AM
harriermate

Ive just ordered the Robart Retracts from Tower Hobbies and the fibreglass cowl and scoops from Fibreglass Specialities.... so Im committed now! Just need patience to await their arrival from the States... albeit lots to get on with in the mean time.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:16 AM
harriermate

Unrolled the plans. This is a monster! Using Kagero books as my prime source of reference. They are brilliant and the the 1:48 line drawings are very sharp and accurate. Even get colour schemes and decals for 1;72 and 1:48 scale plastic models... hmmmm! Lots of schemes to choose from.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:23 AM
harriermate

Scaled up the line drawings for the fin/rudder and tailplane/elevator to 1:5.75, the scale based on 85inch wingspan (40ft 9in for real). The topflite outline is incredibly accurate. Couple of photos to demonstrate.....

Old 08-23-2020, 06:32 AM
harriermate

I've decided to build the razorback version, which is unfortunate as the bubble canopy version is what's provided in the kit (as those of you who have already built one will know!). I couldn't source a Topflite razorback canopy at any of the available outlets anywhere as the kit was discontinued several years ago. But Fibreglass Specialities have again come up trumps and had one in stock.... not sure if it's the Topflite part or their own version but will soon know when that and the cowl arrive... like waiting for Christmas!
So if anyone needs a bubble top variant, it looks like I'll have one available soon!
Old 09-13-2020, 10:32 AM
harriermate

Finally seems that 2 packages from the US have cleared customs... one from Tower Hobbies has the robart retracts and the other from fibreglass specialities has the cowlings and razorback canopy. As they get delivered tomorrow, I may at long last feel able to start pinning balsa next week!
Old 09-15-2020, 05:14 AM
MalParsons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflite P-47 Thunderbolt

I have the same kit, but unfortunately it did not come with an instructon Book.
Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of it?
Mal
[email protected]
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM
harriermate

Jiri Prekin of JP Warbirds is just completing the production of one of his amazing cockpit kits, designed specifically for the Topflite GS P47. So I might start with the cockpit first!!!
A couple of ideas for the colour scheme ... probably either ‘I Wanted Wings’ or ‘Squirt II’ as I want to use invasion stripes on the under surfaces, which look good on the model and also aid spatial orientation is some light conditions...
Old 02-16-2021, 09:56 AM
harriermate

P47 in 1/48 scale!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:05 AM
harriermate

Now to produce this in 1/6 scale with Jiri’s cockpit kit! 😎
Old 02-16-2021, 10:20 AM
harriermate

I also like ‘SNAFU’ and ‘Eileen’ but there seem to be a few of those around already!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:12 AM
harriermate

Duplicate photos deleted

Last edited by harriermate; 02-16-2021 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate removed
Old 03-19-2021, 01:01 PM
harriermate

So I finally received the cockpit kit from JP Warbirds and have started the build. Seat will be scratch built as will the cockpit corrugated floor to save weight.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:07 PM
harriermate

Highly recommend the JP Warbirds cockpit kit. And Ive just discovered 'cabochons'... Never heard of them before. They are basically flat based glass convex lenses that are absolutely perfect for the collimating lens in the Mk8 gunsight (16mm diameter). And at £2.95 ($4) for 20, I have 19 spares!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:15 PM
harriermate

I know there's lots of banter and disagreement about the cockpit interior colour for the P47 and I've decided that Tamiya 'Olive Green' is close enough to the colour Im looking for. But there's plenty of time to change my mind.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work on the cockpit harriermate. I went through the same exercise a few years ago and developed a 1/6 scale P-47 cockpit. As I am sure you are aware, just the research alone is a huge project, much less the actual construction. When you get down to finish work on your Jug I can supply rub-on surface details including rivets, fasteners, hatches, panels, inspection covers, etc. if you are interested. Rub them on the primed surface of the model and then paint over them. Enjoying the build.

Chad Veich
[email protected]

Old 03-19-2021, 11:16 PM
harriermate

Thanks Chad. The rivets look very realistic. Will definitely take you up on that!
Old 03-19-2021, 11:46 PM
harriermate

Having sourced a razor back canopy which seem to be as rare as hens teeth!), I’m not looking forward to separating it into windshield and sliding hood.... and need to consider how best to strengthen it to allow it to slide.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:36 PM
harriermate

Cockpit kit slowly taking shape... looking at the photos, no one P47D seems to exactly match another! 🤪

Trim control unit before....

During...,

And after ageing

Oxygen controller

Wander lamp

Gunsight under construction

Mounting bracket attached

Oxygen controller and landing gear selector

Trial fit of circuit breakers and throttle quadrant

Left side wall under construction

Rudder pedals ‘aged’ and ready for assembly
Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Great job on your cockpit Nigel!! Like weathering you did. Do not forget to drill the small hole in rudder pedals to keep them scale.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:19 AM
harriermate

Thanks Jiri. I would almost certainly have missed that. Im currently experimenting with producing additional placards for the cockpit walls and components, using original photos as templates. Here's an example..

Fuel Calibration Placard - Left Cockpit Wall
Old 03-25-2021, 12:22 AM
harriermate

Oops! Typical. Cant even read it at the correct scale. Still.... I know what it says!
Old 03-25-2021, 01:38 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It will be much scale with those details. I will add them to kit when I finish current project.
For P-51 I got shots from cockpit with measurements of each bar, well it was much easier job.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harriermate View Post
...looking at the photos, no one P47D seems to exactly match another! 🤪
Thank you! It's good to know that I am not the only one who came to this conclusion. I ended up just picking and choosing those items that seemed to be the most common for my cockpit as well as those that I had the most information on. One or two may have been thrown in just because they added some color as well!

And since we are sharing rudder pedals, here is mine. Fun to see each person's interpretation of what they are looking at. Of course just about zero of this stuff can be seen in the finished cockpit but it's fun to know it is in there none the less.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 AM
harriermate

Chad, I see you even added the rudder pedal reach adjusting levers.... now I’ll have to do that too! 🤪

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.