Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Superior RC Yak 54 50CC

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Superior RC Yak 54 50CC

Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 AM
pcoppola5373

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superior RC Yak 54 50CC

Hello, looking for a little guidance. I picked up a Superior RC Yak 54 50 CC plane in the box from a friend who is not in the hobby who bought it at auction. I have read a bunch about this plane some positive some negative. I have read a lot about the CG being an issue where a lot of weight needs to be added to the nose. I have read about the carbon rods and was able to make a set using metal wire. This is my first gas airplane. Not sure if I should go forward with this build or get something smaller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You In Advance,
Pete
Old 07-26-2021, 06:42 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Default Superior Yak 54

Hi Pete,
Hope these words dont come too late.

I fly what you have. Mine started with a DA 50 but loved the change to an EME 60 and the bigger prop disk. Yes it took weight up front to balance and the carbon rod change is critical but you got that covered. Covering gets pretty frail after years but shows up well.
Odd characteristic it has on landing, it seems to want to balloon before it settles but is a really good plane.

Feel free to ask any questions if this isn't too late.
Ben
Old 10-28-2021, 10:49 AM
pcoppola5373

Default Superior RC Yak 54 50cc

Ben,

I would love to have a conversation with you about this plane. It's still not finished partly because of all the questions I have. Feel free to call if that is at all possible.
My biggest concern is balance and what you did to balance it out.

Thank You Pete

I will PM you my number.

Last edited by pcoppola5373; 10-28-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Wrong Phone number
Old 11-01-2021, 01:11 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Ben, I have no time on your air frame but hate add weight. I like to push the engine further forward with shims under the stand offs. Most recently I did this on a 70cc Flex innovations Mamba. The plane was designed around a 70cc twin. I already had a DA-60 and used it. It shimmed it forward about 1/2" and the CG was achieved with no extra weight added. Round cowl air frames like a Mamba or Yak don't look bad with the spinner pushed out a little like an Extra or Edge would. Just be sure to get it done before you cut any holes in the cowl.
If you don't have an engine yet look at the DLE55 or a Valley View RC twin plug 50.

David