Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 scale servo

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 09:12 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1/4 scale servo

Hello everyone...I purchased 7 high torque servos to put in a 95" wingspan ARF Beaver I am putting together. I get the servos and low and behold...they are 1/4 scale(so it says on the box) servos and look to be the size of lemons.
I was thinking they would be the physical size of the standard servos I always get. The cut outs in the plane are for standard size servos. My question is....does anyone know of a plane that these physically huge servos will fit in?
I would rather get standard size servos for the Beaver and use these huge servos for something else. lol...yeah I'm a beginner.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 AM
sweinhart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive built and flown many airframes and have never seen one that accommodated 'giant scale' servos. My largest airframes are 1/3 scale and 1/12th C-130 133" wingspan. They uses standard digital high-torque servos.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Real2You

Yeah...I was looking for something that didn't call for standard size servos and I couldn't find anything. I'll use them somewhere, I'll just have to custom build a spot for them if the plane is an ARF.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:47 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't we recommend the Hitec D645's in another thread? Lol. Those are more what you want.

The "1/4 scale" type servos are monsters. Very heavy and huge, and generally not nearly the torque rating of a standard digital servo.

I don't even know why they call them 1/scale... they're just big, fat, heavy, and weak servos.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:02 PM
Real2You

I bought the D645's that was suggested and I bought the 1/4 scale servos also. The D645's I was going to put in the Beaver. But when these came on sale I bought them also thinking I could put them in the Beaver and use the D645's in a Navy SNJ4 Warbird I picked up at a swap meet.
Or vice versa....I was thinking between the two types I could get those planes dialed in. So now I have like 16 servos and half of them are like you said....big and fat and hopefully not to weak...lol
Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Those 1/4 scale servos are from 20 yrs ago technology, when we did not have 300 oz digital servos.
ive seen them used in 100cc plane before. Would not consider them weak.
use them in ww1 plane like stearman where weight is not issue .
Old 11-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Real2You

Thanks....I will find a place for them somewhere. That's the great thing about this hobby, there are my options when it comes to aircraft choices.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:35 PM
sweinhart

I got my c-130 plans and kit from a company called kit-cutters but I don't know if they are still in business.