Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF >

CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF

Old 12-18-2020, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF

I just purchased the CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF. It looks like a great ARF. My concern is the plane came with some very large wheels. These are not the wheels shown on the horizon hobby website nor the manual. They are 8 1/2 inch tires weighing 1.7 pounds each. That sounds a bit excessive to me. That's 10% of the weight of the entire airplane. I contacted horizon hobby and they were basically clueless. I'm putting a DLE 61 on this cub but I just feel like these tires are too much weight for this combination. Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I just purchased the CubCrafters XCub 60cc ARF. It looks like a great ARF. My concern is the plane came with some very large wheels. These are not the wheels shown on the horizon hobby website nor the manual. They are 8 1/2 inch tires weighing 1.7 pounds each. That sounds a bit excessive to me. That's 10% of the weight of the entire airplane. I contacted horizon hobby and they were basically clueless. I'm putting a DLE 61 on this cub but I just feel like these tires are too much weight for this combination. Any thoughts?
I just received mine about 4 weeks ago and thought the exact same thing about the wheels. Anyway I purchased a set of lightweight treaded 6”wheels, 1/4” axles, and 1/4” collars for mine, just haven’t installed them yet. The weight savings is almost 2 lbs. mine also came with axles that are too short to engage into the locking part of the nuts. I also ordered the the undercarriage scale gear but the date keeps moving, it went from 12/15 to12/22, and now sometime in February. I went with an electric setup in mine, the XPWR 60CC motor. I finished the fuse on Saturday and glued the aileron control horns in yesterday, I’m trying to get it ready to maiden the day after Christmas, but I still have a ways to go...

Bob

Old 12-21-2020, 06:04 AM

Thanks Bob. Where did you get the 6" wheels? The plane looks great. It looks like your in San Antonio. That's where I grew up. I was in the first graduating class of Winston Churchill high school. That goes way way back. I belong to the Texas City radio control club and if you're ever in the area, come fly with us.

Vince
Old 12-21-2020, 06:29 AM

Thanks Bob. Where did you get the 6" wheels? The plane looks great. It looks like your in San Antonio. That's where I grew up. I was in the first graduating class of Winston Churchill high school. That goes way way back. I belong to the Texas City radio control club and if you're ever in the area, come fly with us.

Vince
Hello Vince,

Thank you for the invite, and the same to you if you ever get back this way. The wheels are Dubro 6” lightweight wheels I purchased from Horizon Hobby.

Bob
Old 12-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Don´t be afraid of the weight. I have a take off weight of 13.7 kg (30.2 lb) and
It fly’s like a dream. I have chosen the Saito FG-61 TS for the great sound and drag.
I also using the optional undercarriage with 200mm (7.9 inches) air inflatable bush wheels.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:24 AM

I got the aileron servos and linkages installed yesterday, hope to get the flap servos and linkages installed today and maybe the light lenses glued on.

Bob
Old 12-30-2020, 04:06 AM

Here it is with a set of 5” Dubro wheels and a set of nostalgic wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties. Just need to get them painted now and I am ready to fly. Still waiting on the scale undercarriage to ship...

Bob

Old 01-16-2021, 07:54 PM

Finished.

Bob
Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

New XCub stripped and recovered in Stits Ultra Lite. Additional details in video description.