Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/3 Balsa USA Nieuport 17

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/3 Balsa USA Nieuport 17

Old 09-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Sarge Johnson
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 Balsa USA Nieuport 17

Help !!! My 1/3 Balsa USA Nieuport new built with DLE 160 twin and using the balance point on the plans is requiring an additional 7 and 1/2 pounds. Two sub C 5 cell Nicads are up against the inside firewall. Any suggestions , PLEASE , Thanks Sarge
Old 09-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not knowing all of the particulars, all I can offer is the suggestion to lighten things in the tail, Keep in mind that lightening the tail by roughly 2-1/2 pounds will have the same effect as adding 7-1/2 pounds to the nose. That is assuming that it is 12" from the CG to the nose, and 36" from the CG to the tail. Because of what is called the moment arm or lever arm (engineering term). Plus, lightening the tail by 2-1/2 pounds not only corrects the CG, but also makes your plane 2-1/2 pounds lighter. It is extremely unlikely that you can remove 2-1/2 pounds from the tail, but every ounce you remove from the tail is about 3 ounces that you don't have to add to the nose. And if you have to add weight, then try to make it "functional weight", meaning adding something or using something heavier that gives you some other benefit. Such as a heavier fuel tank or battery that give you longer flight times, or a heavier prop that gives your engine a better "flywheel effect". Try as much as possible to avoid just adding dead weight, which doesn't give any additional benefits.

See if you can use components back there that are lighter than what you have now. See what you can trim back there (extra length on music wire, shorter servo cables, lighter wheels, plastic clevises instead of metal, etc.. Grams add up to ounces when you eliminate enough of them.

For future reference, another thing that helps prevent this problem is to do rough balance checks before covering the plane. See if you are in the ballpark, and make changes while it is easier to do so. I do this with every plane I build, either by scratch or from a kit. Never assume that a plane will come out as designed, in the balance department.

Hopefully, someone familiar with that particular plane has personal experience and can give you some specifics. Until then, I suggest looking at what I mentioned, which will benefit you anyway.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:42 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sarge,
WWI planes are like that, the answer is add 7 1/2 lbs to the nose, it'll still fly great. I went the "lighten the tail" route on a BUSA Nieuport 28 I built a long time ago and ended up ripping the tail off on a normal WWI maneuver cause it was underbuilt. Add the weight, fly the plane.