Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Travel Air Model R Mystery Ship scratch build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Travel Air Model R Mystery Ship scratch build

Old 06-09-2022, 09:08 PM
bryanmiick

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

new landing gear with anchor points for flying wires that aren't attached to wheel pants.

fiberglass wheel pants off of a friends Howard. (they were the wrong shape for his plane) they are a little too narrow but the price was right and fiberglass specialties didn't have a shape that I liked

these are about 1/2" too narrow and made for a smaller wheel but I think with some creativity I can make them work

fiberglass filler strip added, I will also shape the bottoms down to the line drawn on the pant. The profile won't be exact but pictures of the real plane show several different shapes

cowl being painted.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:02 PM
bryanmiick

Got things finished up last night and flew today, still have some bugs to work out, flies great in the air, but I need to get a little more speed on take off as it wanted to stall until it got some air speed. It also nosed over on landings. I may have something binding in the wheel pants when the tires flex after touch down. All in all it was a good couple of flights.

wheel pants painted and installed

they don't look as nice after today's flying, and need some repair

Old 06-23-2022, 07:00 AM
sensei

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have silently enjoyed watching this thread since January, and because of your thread I looked for and found a new in old box 70Ē wingspan Mystery Ship in Fredericksburg Texas, I drove there from San Antonio and met an old guy that had owned it for decades and decided he just didnít have the steam to finish it any more, I say old guy because Iím near 66 and he was maybe 20+ years older than me.

anyway the kit came with nicely done fiberglass fuselage, cowling and wheel pants, the tail feathers, wings and ailerons are all built up from balsa and some plywood, once I get into the build after I complete my current project I will be covering with ceconite and the Stits system followed with automotive topcoat as I have done many times over the years.

Thanks for the inspiration to search and purchase this jewel of an airplane!

Bob

Old 06-23-2022, 08:31 PM
bryanmiick

looks like fun, what kind of power do you plan to use?
Old 06-24-2022, 07:00 AM
sensei

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanmiick View Post
looks like fun, what kind of power do you plan to use?
probably my DA 35cc, not sure yet.

Bob