Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

What size starter?

Old 01-14-2022, 02:56 PM
Real2You

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What size starter?

Hello...I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, please direct me. I just need some advice on a good electric starter for large 2-stroke engines. I would say 20cc on up.
I know Sullivan Products sells one for like 450 bucks. What do you guys use? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

If you are referring to 20cc and larger gasoline engines with electronic ignition, they are quite easy to hand start unless there is an issue. If you have one that won’t hand start, you need to find and fix the problem.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:43 PM
ForcesR

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Real2You View Post
Hello...I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, please direct me. I just need some advice on a good electric starter for large 2-stroke engines. I would say 20cc on up.
I know Sullivan Products sells one for like 450 bucks. What do you guys use? Thanks.
I use this Sullivan starter every now and then. It has plenty of torque to turn over a 40cc engine with ease and it's very affordable, less than $130.00usd. https://sullivanproducts.com/product/s603/
Old 01-15-2022, 08:15 AM
Real2You

The engine isn't gas with electronic ignition. To be honest...I need to take the cowl off and see what exact size engine it is. I do know it's a large 2-stroke based on the cylinder head protruding out of the cowl.
The engine is on a Stinger 120 that I bought used. I tried to use my regular starter that I use for all my planes with .46-.55 OS engines and it wouldn't turn it.
I tried using a chicken stick and couldn't get it to start, I am curious if I need a big starter and if a Sullivan is the way to go or are some of the off brand starters are any good. Maybe that Sullivan for 130 will work. I'll definately pull the cowl off and see what size the engine is before making a purchase. All my other large planes I bought gas engines for so I have never come across this issue starting.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

Many of the guys I race boats with use Sullivan starters, I personally have two of them and have had them for years.
For engines of .46 and under, I would recommend the high torque 600/601. I know Sullivan says it will start up to a 1.2 BUT personal experience doesn't support it as my 601 struggles with a .67 marine engine unless I have a fresh, fully charged battery. Sullivan doesn't say anything about using anything over 12VDC
For larger engines, you would probably be able to use the Dynatron 603. Sullivan says it will handle up to a 2.4, which I tend to believe. At 12 VDC, it has 50% more torque than the 600/601 and, if that won't cut it, the Dynatron can handle 24VDC and give three times the torque of the 600/601. You can order direct from Sullivan and, depending on the spinner on your plane, you can order the optional spinner size compatible inserts for the starter shown on pages 26 and 27 under the "shop" link at the top of their home page. Their website link is
.Sullivan Premium Radio Control parts for planes, drones, cars, trucks, boats and helis (sullivanproducts.com)

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-15-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

FYI, I have used 4 cell Lipo ( 14.8V ) on my standard starters for years. Worked very well on the large 4 strokes I used to run. OP, let us know what exact engine you have. I’m sure somebody here has experience with that brand and can offer sound advise to get you up and running.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
FYI, I have used 4 cell Lipo ( 14.8V ) on my standard starters for years. Worked very well on the large 4 strokes I used to run. OP, let us know what exact engine you have. I’m sure somebody here has experience with that brand and can offer sound advise to get you up and running.
And therein lies the difference, I've always used a 12-volt gel cell with mine as I've not normally had extra cash to replace/rebuild it if I burned it up. I know of those that have used up to 18 volts, but the starter usually didn't last more than four or five boating seasons. My starter was purchased in 1983 and still works fine though I am considering installing a Speedmaster handle and switch assembly on it instead of the strip it comes with from the factory. On the flip side, running the same 12volt gel cell, my Dynatron has almost injured my wrist on more than one occasion while starting my boats due to the torque it produces
Old 01-15-2022, 09:55 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, they do produce a good amount of torque. That’s the reason why I can’t use a starter in the traditional usage. My right hand which I suffered an aneurysm a few years ago has gotten to the point where I can no longer hold a starter. I no longer fly airplanes that require one. The only thing I have left that requires a starter is a helicopter that has the starting cone on the bottom. When the heli is finished I will build a table that includes the starter which will be operated via foot switch.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:00 PM
Real2You

Ok I got the cowl off and the engine is a Supre Tiger S3000 with a OS Carburetor on it. So I'm guessing it's about 30cc. Anyone have one of these? Any advice as far as fuel to use that best fits this engine?
Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM
speedracerntrixie

OK good. Fuel should be no more then 5% nitro and about 10% oil. You may be able to go to less oil if the lower end of the connecting rod is needle bearing. You will want a fairly hot glow plug, I would go with an OS F plug provided you have no clearance issues. This should start up pretty easily. They love to be what most guys would consider over primed. Set it to a high idle, cover the carb opening with your thumb and pull it through a few rotations. You should be able to see fuel traveling into the carb. You should be able to feel when the cylinder has good fuel in it. Hook up power to the plug and give the spinner a quick flip clockwise. This should fire the mixture in the cylinder and get the engine running counter clockwise.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Real2You

Thanks! I'll use all of your advice.