Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
OS FR5-300 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke Glow >

OS FR5-300 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke Glow

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

OS FR5-300 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke Glow

Old 03-07-2022, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FR5-300 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke Glow

I recently acquired this beauty and I am having a hard time matching it to an airplane, please comment if you have experience with it, need help.
I am really interested in a WACO for it but don't know if it will pull a 1/4 scale.
I'm new to threads, hope I'm doing the right thing here!
Thanks, Herbert
Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably depends on the weight of the plane. My 1/4 scale WACO cabin weighs in about 32 lbs and has a Seidel 7-70 in it (50cc with 7 cylinders). Will fly it scale but not much more. The Seidel handles props from 22-10 to 24-12, up to about 5500 rpm. Your OS also has about 50cc but with 5 cylinders and turns smaller props but at higher rpms than the Seidel. I'd guess if you were under 30lbs it would probably be fine.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you RBACONS for the quick comment and your set-up, my OS can use props from 18x10 to 22x8 as indicated in the manual and up to 8,500rpm, as you say it might be okay, hopefully somebody else has a closer experience to convince me further to take the "plunge". I am also hoping that I can get the airframe on the lighter side of the range which by manual for the Phoenix Models is 27.5-29.7lbs, I am also considering building it from Wendell Hostetler plans and the weight on that one is 28-30lbs almost the same.