Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Contemplating a half scale Fokker DR1. >

Contemplating a half scale Fokker DR1.

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Contemplating a half scale Fokker DR1.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Contemplating a half scale Fokker DR1.

So I'm definitely looking at going off the deep end here and wanting to build a very large scale Dr1 triplane. I've been looking at the BUSA 1/3 scale kit a lot but also have the drawings to build a half scale size. Made a rough bill of material using price list from Specialty Balsa and Spruce Specialty and the basic half scale airframe itself will be a similar cost to the BUSA kit, which has a lot more goodies. We can fabricate a lot of things but a good cowling might be a challenge. Anyone know where one that size can be obtained? Any thoughts or input would be very welcome.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are serious about a project in that size, you really ought to have the knowledge, or skills already. For one, or a few cowlings, I would make a positive plug in a wood lathe. Then lay up fiberglass on the outside of it, and maybe even sand it while it is still in the lathe. Today, 3D-printing plugs or negative molds is also an alternative.
Lars
Old 05-31-2022, 05:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Building a DR1 cowling that size will be a simple task, all that is needed is a little plywood, foam, glass, epoxy resin, primer, PVA and bondo.

just a couple of days work and you will have your plug ready to layup an airworthy part.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
LN-JET (06-01-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 04:24 PM

Yeah I'm right there with you guys. I work on full size aircraft of my own, up to complete rebuilds, so skills, tools and so on are basically in place. Scratch building a large model is alot of fun, but there's also something appealing to me about getting that big ole box and bringing a kit to life. And pretty much everything is right there. Decisions!
Old 06-06-2022, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I have full scale DR1 plans that wood make great reference for a build like that. Plans are designed by Redfern for the home builder.
If interested Email [email protected], cheap!
Don
Old 06-07-2022, 07:29 AM

Cool,
I'll be sending an email