Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Returning to RC after LONG absence, servo question

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Returning to RC after LONG absence, servo question

Old 05-10-2022, 07:11 PM
charles_b60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to RC after LONG absence, servo question

I bought the Hangar 9 15cc Carbon Cub. I also bought the RCFG 200 twin to power it. I have been away from RC's since 1991. I am not sure what servo I need for the elevator also the ones for ailerons and rudder. are there any brands of servos that are particularly better than others now?
What ever help I can get here will be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:16 PM
tedsander

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

The manual says "A6180 Standard Digital Aircraft Servo", which is one by Spektrum. Look up the specs on the Horizon Hobby site. Those are fine, if you want to avoid the pain of getting into other options. Speed, torque, voltage, case size are the main criteria you will be concerned about (size depends on the mounting arrangement for the model, and you may be able to modify the mounts easily if a little different in dimension).
More torque is always good, as is faster speed. That pretty much correlates with $$. Voltage depends on what you will be using for batteries. NiCad, NiMH, or LiFe are all options, and voltages for a flight pack fall within the 4.8-6v specs for most servos and receivers. There are "HV" (High Voltage) servos that use LiPo batteries, but for a first plane are probably overkill, and then you have to make sure the rest of the electronics support it, too, The first three are safe options, with little chance for catching fire. LiPo's are generally safe, but good practice is to always remove from a plane, charge away from flammable surfaces/things, and do not leave unattended. You will need a charger that can specifically charge the battery you have chosen. For fuel planes, most common are NiMH or LiFe batteries these days.
There is a plethora of gear train materials, servo motors, and bearing arrangements - again better pretty much tracks with $$.

Servo brands? There's a bunch. Hitec, Bluebird, Savox, Spektrum, Futaba all have a wide variety. Others will chime in with other brands they like, too. All use JR/Futaba compatible plugs, so no issues there. Servo arms may or may not be interchangeable with another brand, but what comes with the servo is usually fine.

Since this is to be a gasoline plane, you either will need two battery packs (one for the ignition) or a Tech-Aero IBEC that allows you to use one battery, but isolates the circuit so engine electrical noise does not cause interference to the rest of the system.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:20 AM
charles_b60

Default Ted thanks for the reply.

I haven't opened the box yet, I am going on an extended vacation. I thought I would get all the things together for when I return. I guess I should open it and check things out a little. You gave me a lot of valuable information, thanks a lot.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:32 AM
warbirdnutt

Futaba 3152 or Hitec standard digital servos will be plenty for this small plane. Decent servos should be in $35 price range.
LIFE batteries for easy use and lower risk of fire. Nobody uses NIMH anymore that I’m aware of.
Spektrum radio should give you access to lots of PNP planes out there. Foamies are popular now.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:03 PM
charles_b60

Thanks so much for your answer. I am unaware of LIFE batteries and that is a BIG help to know that I need to learn about them- Happy flying
Old 06-05-2022, 06:03 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 141 Likes on 123 Posts

If you go with Futaba 3XXX series servos ai highly recommend against using over 6V. I did once and had servos randomly lock up for a couple seconds. Confirmed this with a long time Futaba rep.