Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Recommendations for first giant scale plane >

Recommendations for first giant scale plane

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Recommendations for first giant scale plane

Old 06-12-2023, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Recommendations for first giant scale plane

I've been flying 40 & 60 size for all of my 20 years of this hobby. I would like to transition to 1/5 size eventually. What is a good recommendation for a first time giant plane? I've been looking at an 81" easy stick.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a quality engine like DA 70 and get a floater 3D plane from Flex Innovation ,ExtremeFlight or any good quality 30% and turn the rates down til you get the hang of it. after flying .40-.60 these planes are super stable and easy to fly. good luck
Old 06-20-2023, 08:45 AM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What sort of larger airplane do you want to get into? Scale? 3-D? If you just want to futz around the field a big Easy Stick would be just fine. Your 40-60 sized flying skills should transfer to a larger plane just fine as long as you aren't trying to jump straight into an overweight warbird. Airboss' comments on getting a quality engine and dialing back the throws on an already sorted plane are on point. One thing to be mindful of is that there are differences in plumbing when you go from glow to gasoline and you will want to be sure that you get appropriate servos. Unless you have been pylon racing or some such a .40 size airplane's servo requirements haven't changed much since the 1980's. Once you start getting past an 80 inch wing servo torque requirements go up considerably.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Giant scale transition

Originally Posted by 7aso
I've been flying 40 & 60 size for all of my 20 years of this hobby. I would like to transition to 1/5 size eventually. What is a good recommendation for a first time giant plane? I've been looking at an 81" easy stick.
I made this exact same "leap" of faith back in 1997. Wasn't sure how to go about it. A flying friend of mine asked if I would pilot his 144 inch wingspan plane while he made a video. Back then JVC made these neat hand held camcorders that were just bigger than a human adult hand.
I was quite nervous because I had only been flying RC planes since 1987 but thought, okay it's been 10 years, why not?

The flight went great. I just told myself "just fly it like a 60 size plane, but make gentle turns and setup for landing a bit farther away. I instantly fell in love with how much easier it was to see the plane, after all I was 29 back then, getting on in years 🤣🤣🤣🤣
The plane was a scratch built DAS UGLY STIK, traditional colors: red/black and white with maltese crosses. Those crosses made the plane easy to keep oriented.
After that I started building and flying my own giant scale planes and now exclusively collect and fly giant scale civilian airplanes.
Today the smallest airplane I own is a tiny 80 inch Beechcraft Bonanza and my biggest is a 108.5 inch Bonanza. I just acquired a 100 inch Piper 140 with DLE. Looking forward to getting this one into the air.

Keep in mind with bigger heavier planes you can't simply punch the throttle and yank the plane away from trouble like you can with a small nitro plane, it will likely stall and spin into the ground, much like a full size one would. If the landing doesn't look good or you THINK you might have a problem with something, best to smoothly add power and go around. Giant scale planes have a lot of $$$$ hanging up there and a great day flying can quickly turn to a story and a hit to your bank account.

Be safe and happy giant scale modeling.

Sophia
RC Pilot since 1987
Full scale Pilot since 1991
Old 09-28-2023, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started building a 1/3 scale pup several years ago, got the fuse about 80 percent complete but have not touched it in a couple years. Now that I am older I question whether I want to bother with the weight!
Old 09-28-2023, 01:14 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started building a 1/3 scale pup a few years back, got the fuse about 80 percent complete and stopped working on it. Now I am older I question whether I want to hassle with the weight!!
Old 09-29-2023, 08:55 AM

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dj9124
I started building a 1/3 scale pup several years ago, got the fuse about 80 percent complete but have not touched it in a couple years. Now that I am older I question whether I want to bother with the weight!
With an airplane like the Pup it is not so much the weight as it is the volume. Even disassembled, you are looking at something like an SUV or a pickup truck to haul one out to the field.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The time and money escalates exponentially with an increase in size. The logistics to get it to the field also. Obviously you've looked around what have you seen that stirs the juices. Then what size is workable for your situation. If your going to make the jump you may as well get something that pleases you and not someone elses idea of fun. Just like when you started out be reasonable in your choice concidering your experience and skill set.

Better to put the question like tthis. After listing your experience ask if a certain model that has caught your eye listing manufacturer and size would be appropriate for your stated experience.

Good luck and happy flying.