Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Piper Tri-Pacer from Wendell Hostetler is now here!! >

Piper Tri-Pacer from Wendell Hostetler is now here!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Piper Tri-Pacer from Wendell Hostetler is now here!!

Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (219)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piper Tri-Pacer from Wendell Hostetler is now here!!

The Miller design is 1/4 Scale. If you want a 1/3 Scale bird you'll have to Scale the plans.

In my opinion, there are pros and cons to both. The Fuselage design on the Miller
is better, but the wing attachment on the Hostetler is better as is the Firewall.

The tail feathers on the Miller are more scale like - built up while
the Hostetler are sheet with simulated ribs.

Both of them build into a nice plane.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 PM
My Feedback: (24)

I was more interested in a design comparison regardless of scale, so thanks for that. Have you given any thought to altering the Miller design to incorporate the Hostetler wing mount and firewall features? Seems like it might not be too bad... but then I haven't seen either plans. I'll have a Miller set in hand by the end of the week though.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Hi,

I actually modified the Miller to use wing tubes I purchased from GatorRC.
That was straightforward and works well.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM

Hi
Thanks for such well informed thread, I am here in the UK and a friend would like me to build
a Tri-Pacer for him by way of a joint effort really, we are concidering changing the wheel struts
to Carbon Fibre do you think this nessesary given the size of the aircraft and possible nightmare
landings? Also if any body out there has anymore photos during construction or finished model
I would be very grateful my email address follows

[email protected]
Thanks again
Paul
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Joel,
Pauls friend from the uk here? Thought I`d get on in the act!.There is a tail dragger version of the tri-pacer which we would like to modify to.
Would you say that this would be an easy modification to make,ie.would the fuse shape etc allow for the gear to be brought forward?

Also Joel have you got a link for Mike`s line? (for the wire gear ?).I would prefer to bolt a metal/carbon fibre gear set up but not sure if there is enough "flat area" for this to work.

Would be grateful if you could furnish me with your knowledge.

cheers

steve
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Steve,
I plan to make a Piper Pacer from the Hostetler plans. This is the tailwheel version of the plane. Via email Wendell Hostetler advised me that the only thing that would have to be done to make the Pacer from the Tripacer plans is to turn the gear around which he said would put the axel of the main gear 3" ahead of the CG. He said, "This should work". Obviously, a tail gear would have to be added as well.

When I look at photos of full scale Pacers, however, it appears that the gear are a bit further forward than they would be by simply turning the gear around as Wendell suggested. I been studying the plans to determine how hard it would be to move the gear plate further forward but so far have not reached any conclusions. If its important to have your plane faithful the full scale plane then moving the gear plate forward is something you might have to do. I do believe, however, that Wendell is right that simply turning the gear around would result in a model that would operate in a satisfactory manner.

touch 'n go
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 AM

thanks for the info,much appreciated.

cheers

steve
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eye candy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26743.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	224183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93167.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	224184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33508.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	224185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91514.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	224186  
Old 02-02-2005, 07:41 PM

Steve,

There is plenty of flat area. The bootom is a piece of 3/8" plywood the width of the fuse
and about 8" front to back. The wire gear has two parallel pieces of 1/4" wire that are about 6" apart and
have to be fastened to the bottom, so a carbon fiber gear would be no problem.

As for making the tail dragger version, that should
be no problem either.

The company that makes the wire gear is Like's Line (mailto:[email protected])

Joel
Old 02-03-2005, 02:39 AM

thanks joel,your help is very much appreciated.would love to see pics of your tri-pacer once finished.

my email steve@ euro-disc.co.uk

Keep in touch with your project!

We`re ordering the plans,cowl etc next monday.looking forward to the project.

Great guy!

cheers

steve
Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Guys how are these Great Pacers coming along...
Dennis
Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I bought the plans and the Sierra Gear at Toledo on 4/1/05. Ordered the cowl, and it should arrive soon. (Paid cash for the gear)

I've had trouble getting the gear. Four follow-up phone calls, and today he finally said the gear was sent by UPS today (4/21/05). I hope so. If not, I will add further posts to describe my difficulties.

I've built several of Wendell's plans. They are not dead-on scale, but the parts fit. They require some head-scratching in certain areas, but the answers are usually on the plans if you look long enough. They fly well, also.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Hi Bill,

A Guy here in the uk is selling a scratch built tri-pacer.100" wing span,length 68".He says its approx 1/3 scale but does not seem large enough compared to day the Wendell Plans

It was flown on a Quadra 35.If I buy this I would want to use a simular size/weighjt of engine.Was thinking about a Fuji 32,What do you think?Any help or knowledge on the Tri-Pacer you can forward will be much appreciated.

cheers

Steve

uk
Old 04-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Hi Bill,

A Guy here in the uk is selling a scratch built tri-pacer.100" wing span,length 68".He says its approx 1/3 scale but does not seem large enough compared to day the Wendell Plans

It was flown on a Quadra 35.If I buy this I would want to use a simular size/weighjt of engine.Was thinking about a Fuji 32,What do you think?Any help or knowledge on the Tri-Pacer you can forward will be much appreciated.

cheers

Steve

uk
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 AM

I think the Fuji 32 would be ample power for a 100" Tri-Pacer. I put one on a Kangke 96" Monocoupe ARF that I assembled for a friend, and it is more than enough power.

We had to send back the Fuji 32A that we had originally, however, and got a 32B. Seems that the A had small magnets, and it quit producing sufficient spark!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM

Well, my saga re: the Sierra Nose Gear for the Tri-Pacer continues!!

As stated above, I paid cash at Toledo on 4/1/05 ($310!). I was told all the parts were already fabricated, and the gear would go right out.

On 4/12, I called. Was told it would go out 4/13. Called 4/19, and got no answer. I called 4/20, and was told that he would call back on 4/21 after he had talked to the people who took care of shipping. I called on 4/21 and left a number. He called on 4/21. Said it went out today, and he gave me the UPS tracking #. On 4/22, I checked the tracking #, and found that the gear was being sent to far Northern Indiana (I live Central IN). I called again on 4/22 (my 6th call to him!!!!!), and he checked his records. His person who does shipping had used 46342 instead of 47342 for the zip code, and had put Hobart, IN instead of Gaston, IN. He said he would call UPS and correct it. On 4/25 AM, tracking shows that the package was scanned out early this morning for delivery in Hammond, IN. No indication that the shipment was stopped or corrected.

I guess I'll get it some day!!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM

Well, my nose gear finally arrived today! Quite a nice piece of work. Expensive, but I don't have the machinery to duplicate it, so I just had to bite the bullet. Paid for it on April 1st, received it April 27th.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: RickVB

I was more interested in a design comparison regardless of scale, so thanks for that. Have you given any thought to altering the Miller design to incorporate the Hostetler wing mount and firewall features? Seems like it might not be too bad... but then I haven't seen either plans. I'll have a Miller set in hand by the end of the week though.
How are those Miller Tri Pacer Plans???
Do they have a scale Cowl for it?
I know it is 1/4 scale. I wonder how is a gas Mill would hide in the cowl.
Dennis C
Old 07-13-2005, 06:51 AM

Sorry to see there is so little activity on this forum site lately. I have decided to go with the YW48 twin on my plane. The engine looks great, and the quality seems to be superb. I reviewed it on the "Modelsport Magazine" DVD. May be just a little tight on the fit around the nose gear assembly, but should be doable. I'd like to hear from the others on this list as to engine used, flight characteristics, etc.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 AM

Any updates on the Tri-pacers from anyone? Mine is coming along slowly due to my work schedule. Hard to get much done when you are away from home 40+ days at a time. Is your's flying yet Joel? I was noticing that you added sheeting from the rear spar to the TE of the wing. Don't see that on the plans. Not on mine anyway. Thought maybe it had ought to have some but trusted it was good enough. Then noticed you had it on there.

Also, did you hinge your doors the way the plans did? I did mine that way, then my friend who has an actual fuselage in his round top, sent me some pictures. The front seat door has a piano wire hinge the entire length from the window down. The baggage door also has one. The rear seat door has two very simple, flat strap hinges. Tri-pacers aren't an airplane I've had a lot of experience with so I'm not sure what all variations came from the factory on this subject. Just curious how you or anyone else here ended up doing theirs. I need to track one down here and take a look.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:51 AM

I did add sheeting to the wing. I decided the extra weight was worth the extra strngth.
Here is a link to a site with great pictures of TriPacers.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...sok=&photo_nr=

I haven't been able to do too much because of the heat in Vegas.
The wings are coverd and pinking tape in place. I used Stits Lite to cover.
After working with the Poly Brush, decided to switch to the Nelson Paint System.

The Stits stuff works, but STINKS and I don't like having to use MEK.

I am still working on the door hinging.

I'll post some more photos in the near future,

I ended up using a Super Tartan Twin with C&H ignition.

Joel
Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 AM

Hi Joel and everybody else,

Got anymore pics of the tri-pacer you`re working on.Would love to see some more developments on this thread.

Steve
Old 09-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Getting a little bit of a start on my Tri Pacer. I decided to go with a framed up and sheeted empannage, rather than the 3/8" sheet than Wendell suggests. I can offer a little bit of a correction as to the price of the main gear. I suffered a little sticker shock when I called Hank Likes to order mine. The price is $88.00 plus $12.00 shipping. One hundred bucks for two pieces of 1/4" wire!!!! It looks well done, though, and should be able to handle the load. I have built several of Wendell's plans, and they all fly very nicely.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 PM

The price of that main gear has gone UP. I bought mine from Likes Line early this year and it was $56 + $7 shipping. He must not be selling many of them any more. I built mine from a kit from Precision Cut Kits and
they supply the 3/8 sheet. It cam out fine. The full size has ribs that show through the fabric
and I think the 3/8 sheet with 1/8 x 1/4 ribs looks quite realistic.

I also sent the wheels to Sierra Giant Scale and had brass bushings installed on both the mains
and the nose gear. They run much smoother.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I have finally started my Piper Pacer project. I am building the tailwheel version of the plane. Photos show jig I made for the fuselage. I will also make a built up horizontal stab to save weight. I will use my "Mighty K&S Wire Bender" tool to make the main gear from 1/4" music wire; should cost about $5 to $10.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91107.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	327334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29012.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	327335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49918.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	327336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12841.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	327337  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.