Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/3 Scale Aeronca Champ build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/3 Scale Aeronca Champ build

Old 06-23-2021, 05:16 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Have two flights on the Champ, first one was a little shaky, added 2 1/2 pounds to the nose and aileron differential and the second flight was better, had cross wind however.

The following users liked this post:
Steve (04-28-2022)
Old 06-23-2021, 05:17 AM
Tony Hallo

Steve (04-28-2022)
Old 06-23-2021, 07:36 AM
rhsmrt50

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...........Looks great in the aloft Tony..........good Job!!!!

Rich....
Old 06-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful Champ sir!!! Well done. The level of detail and craftsmanship makes one think you could walk right up, hop in, set the altimeter and go. And she looks good in the air too!
Old 06-25-2021, 04:50 AM
Tony Hallo

When you build yours I would suggest that you modify the landing gear slightly from what is shown on the plans. If you compare the gap at the top of the main gear to the short video of the test run in post 92 or the photo in post 79, you will see what I'm talking about. I would make the steel tabs shorter and add that to the length of the main gear
Steve (04-28-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 05:00 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice morning read with a cup of coffee.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A well earned moment of relaxation!
Old 06-19-2022, 01:41 PM
jlorenco
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 09-08-2023, 04:28 PM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Tony

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
His ad says production halted for cowl and plans.
Tony did you get your cowl and windshield from Probuilderd? Still trying to find one drew a big zero from rcaiir will not sell them only if you buy a kit. I did that a year ago and still getting excuses AJ.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:42 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC Champ Windscreens and Cowls

Guys, and Arthur, I told Toni I wasn't making them last year fist because it was freezzing and My heat was broken, I had to wait over a year to get the new heating equipment that was backordered. I have it now but still need to finish installing it.
I was Making new plugs for the curved windscreens but had to stop the in the begining of the year because of a stroke. I made 1/4 scale and 1/3 scale cowl molds but had not finished the windscreen plugs.
Then I got a severe infection in one of my hip implants that I've had 10 years. I had to have surgery in may to put in a temporary antibiotic implant for 90 days then a second surgery last month August to put in the new permanente implant, I'm recovering from that now. I've been pretty much shut down for the last 9 months. As soon as I can I will be working on orders, plugs and molds etc. once again.
I refunded Toni's payment from what I remenber because he paid before I had given him a quote for the total price and I hadn't started on his order yet.

Last edited by frequent flyer; 09-09-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:09 AM
Tony Hallo

That is correct FF. Sorry to hear of all your heath problems, I hope you get back in the saddle soon.
The answer to cowl and windshield question is that I had bought them from ProBuilder. The cowl is one piece, I cut it apart and made it three piece like the full scale.
I experienced a dead stick last year and had to recover the fuselage over the winter, during that time I made modifications to the landing gear, shorten the tabs 13/16" and lengthen the gear struts the same amount. Here are the before and after photos, you be the judge.
I also made the left front window a slider like the full, makes getting to the wing rib bolts so much easier.

Last edited by Tony Hallo; 09-09-2023 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:47 AM
AJ Sun

Hi Tony thanks for the positive note make me feel better. Don and I are not reslly getting along right now. TONY I ve been following your post and watched your cowl mod. That would work with my OS 300. That engine I bought especially for my 1/3rd Champ build. Been planning on this for years. I've sent an email to Probuilders all the post on the partsI need are at least 10 years old except for yours. Got lots of good Ideas from several posts. Looks like I may start the wing ribs when and if I can get into touch with ProBuilder. IVE Spend a lot of money on this only to see very little results. Am very disappointed about all these developments concerning my build. Hard to.explain all this. But I have enjoyed all the reading. AJ.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:35 PM
AJ Sun

Okay good note here, pro builders still makes the cowl and windshield I have the funds in the mail should be a few maybe three weeks. Thanks Tony I am going to start on the wing ribs maybe in a couple weeks. Still wanting a 1/4 windshield for my AA industries champ. Pro builder just does not feel it would be worth making. I see lots of guys looking for them between Nolsen and AA Industries I had been told at Sig,maybe 900 kits we're produced between the smaller and the 1/4th 7AC Champ. AJ
Old 09-11-2023, 03:46 AM
Tony Hallo

Well AJ let's get this build started and post your progress here.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:30 AM
AJ Sun

Morning Tony. Ya I've been having issues with posting pictures not just this web site but two others. A moderator POSTED the process to post photos. I followed it but it must be my server. Your build was very impressive. I just want a good flyer. Like my quarter AA Industries Champ. Still working on the repair AFTER my mishap. Trying to beat the bushes for a windshield for that plane. I even tried using the leather base ball and my heat gun. Just thinned the plastic. Might try a card preform or make a balsa plug and form thick plastic sheet. Still waiting on my OS 120 gemini II parts got all the gaskets. And bought that new left cylinder. Had the push rod tube the OS 160 is sill in production. Several parts cross Over to the 120. AJ
Old 09-11-2023, 02:13 PM
AJ Sun

Default 1/4 scale Aeronca windshield

Okay guys somebody has a Scale Champ windshield been looking, Probuilder will not sell one and never has. In AA Industries 1/4 scale. Not enough interest. Many kits were sold and who knows how many were built between Hobby Lobby.Presedent and Nolsen /.AA Industries hundreds were built. PRESEDENT did offer a Cowl and Windscreen, but were sold seoarately from the kit. There are some may bees. So well see. AJ.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:18 AM
AJ Sun

Hi Tony I sent you a message but I have no Idea if you will get it. My service is so bad and I am so .new on the site it's gets confusing I need a young Priest and an old Priest. And 8 year old to.explain this web site to me. Lol any way with all that's going on in my life zI am betting next summer my AA Champ 1/4 scale will fly again I hope. I would buy 3 windshields if I could find them. I've got my 1/3 scale wired ordered what I needed from Probuilder.and plan on adding another windshield for that build after I get that first one. And see how it looks. Hope to start on the ribs this winter. Thank you Tony for your offer I will take you up on it. AJ