Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Giant Aeromaster ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Giant Aeromaster ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Chevyman44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Aeromaster ailerons

I am getting ready to build a kit that I have had for some time the Gaint Aeromaster. I have the option of two aileron servo with a link or four servo's. What do you all think is the best? I am sure four is best but I dont like the exposed wire, servo and looks.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Giant Aeromaster ailerons

Well I have seen it and flown it done both ways. Frankly I like the 4 servo setup better. Seems to be more positive and more responsive for some reason. Also one advantage is that you can reduce the requirements for servo torque if in fact you want to. Instead of having a higher torque servo driving two surfaces, you can have lower torque servos driving each surface. Powered right the plane will never know the difference in weight!

Advise, if this is the kit you are building and not the ARF, do what I did and with every ply former in the turtledeck, fill them full of lightening holes. You do not need the extra bulk. It just so happens I have both the kit and the ARF and I will tell you the engineers at Great Planes have taken a "ton" of extra weight out of the ARF as compared to the kit. I will post some pics of both Fuselage setups and you will see what I mean!.

Cheers
Hooked!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the kit built as per plan with the US41 and two servos for ailerons. Flys fine like that. If yo uhave four servos you'll eliminate the inter aileron strut so the weight addition is almost nil. The only thing is the added servo wires and remembering to plug thm in the right way, but hey if we didn't do that all the time we would have airplanes falling from the sky.

Hooked, did you have both a kit and ARF set up the same way, motored the same? If so what motors and all up wieght? Did they fly the same? was the ARF quality pretty good? How about a mini comparison/ review?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
aa2dd

Hooked-on-RC has it right. 4 servos are the best way to go for all the reasons he gives. Mine has G-62, and flies like a big ole trainer!

Bruce
Old 01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Well I have both the kit and the ARF on the go right now, so I have not flown my own plane as yet. I have flown fellow fliers planes and i will tell you it is one very nice biplane to fly. As for the differences in the kit and the ARF they are huge. I plan to remove a lot of extra material on the kit side to lighten it and feel I can do so without sacrificing strength. The ARF is well engineered, however one thing I do not like is the fact that they changed how the cabanes mount to the fuse, the kit is a much better system and much nicer looking.

What I am planning for the two of mine are a ZDZ60's for engines and some sort of JR servos all around. Rudder will be on a pull-pull system and on the kit I have enlarged both the elevators and the rudder for a little more authority. I have also tapered the elevators and rudder to 1/8" on the trailing edges as compared to the plans, they are 3/8 of an inch thick all around and they look really clunky to me. I will do the same to the ARF and may use the plans from the kit to build alternative elevators and rudder for the ARF. With the ZDZ60 up front it should haul ass pretty good, I have flown one of these with a Sachs 4.2 and it really moved so we will see. I will try and post pics of the differences when I get them on the building board again! Took a break from them to build a Cessna and an Extra 330S

Cheers
Hooked!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Well, I've got one built from a kit. I have a 3W60 in it with Futaba 1/4 scale servos. 3 servos in the tail and 4servos in the wings along with the throttle servo. I've got a Futaba PCM receiver and using 2 airborne packs (2700mAh NiMh JR). Ignition is an 1100 NiCd pack. Prop is Zinger 22-10. I purchased the airplane RTF last summer but the radio installation was not to my standards so I have redone everything. It's ready to go, just waiting on warmer weather in Amarillo. Dwayne
Old 01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be careful about the amout of engine you put on the front end of the Aeromaster. Like was mentioned above, I had a 4.2 in one and on the down side of a large loop the elevators fluttered and tore the horizantal stab completely off! What happened next was not pretty. Because the plane flew so well I built another one, but this time I put an A&M 3.2 in it, the 3.2 was terrific, but radio failure did it in on the second flight.

Just wanted to becarful about the amount of power and speed that air frame can take.

Dale
Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

I have installed 4-40 threaded rods inside carbon fiber tubes on rudder and both elevators. Each have a servo. Also, I hope I can remember to use the throttle. Dwayne