Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
roknHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

Saturday I was scanning the Toledo pictures when I saw the new 98" span Super Decathlon from RCGUYS. I just couldn't resist and had to pull the trigger this morning.
I called RCGUYS and talked with Dan Speers to place the order.......he said the first shipment is 126 planes and half are sold as of today. Wow, that was fast and it looks like the entire shipment will probably be spoken for soon. If you haven't seen it, you really ought to take a look and if you like it, don't wait to order if you want to get your hands on one.
Dan was taking an informal survey of what ARF plane RCGUYS should bring out next so I got to give my opinion on the subject. I told him I was wishing for a scale Ag Plane. May be something like a Piper Pawnee or a Cessna Ag Wagon............and man was I surprised when he said that was one of the subjects they were considering.....they actually have the preliminary work done on a Ag Wagon. I think that would be totally cool and its a classic airframe you just don't see produced in the ARF world.....at least not in recent history. He said they are also considering a Super Chipmunk ARF. I like Chipmunks but in my book the Ag Wagon would be a slam dunk. If done right, and I'm sure they would, the 1/4 scale Ag Wagon would be a head turner on the ground and in the air.

Take the time to give your opinion here in this thread. We could be the force that influenced the next great ARF from the RCGUYS............I'm sure Dan will figure out he should look here before the decision of which airframe to produce is final.........and give some wing span preferences so he knows if 1/4 scale is in the ball park.....
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

roknhs - An option for an ARF Ag Plane would be great. A few of us have had a thread going down in the Scale forum for a couple of years now. The thread link is - [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1639293/tm.htm]crop duster r/c[/link]. You'll find a lot of really nice Ag planes as well as Slurry bombers (think of an Ag plane on steroids I guess). A couple of the guys are kitting out some beautiful planes, mainly AirTractor's. Most of them are all modeled after the AT502, but just recently a 100" model of the AT802F was announced which will be made specifically for those of us who are into the Fire Fighting side of flying This is my next kit to purchase and hope to be contacting the guys this in May to arrange pick up during one of the Montana Fly-Ins. Can't wait. The nice thing is you have a good choice of going for the radial or turbo-prop. The Wren Turbo-Prop is being planned as the power plant for one of these.

Let us know anything we can do to help to get this started with Dan at RCGUYS.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
roknHS

Thanks GPutt,
I've been following the crop duster thread for almost a year......Yeah, it has some great pictures. Tell your guys to get in here and voice their opinions........great opportunity to get a new Ag Plane on the market. I'd love to see the prototype of a 1/4 scale Ag Wagon.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say the Super Chipmunk. I've had two in the past and would love a 40cc to 50cc chippy.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
swixtt

Well i am one of the ones building a AT502 as well, just in 72" size though. i would really like to see a AG type from RCGUYS...that would be great! it is definitely one plane that you just don't see that often!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Zipperneck
My Feedback: (1)

There are other chipmunks out there - been there, seen that.

The Agwagon is a novel idea and there hasn't been an arf produced since Kyosho, if I'mnot mistaken. I think it could win a few hearts over!

Too big for me, but I'd really love to have one.

Zipperneck
Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you do an Opinion poll at the start of the thread and submit to RCguys after a week or so showing the results.

Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ag Wagon has my vote.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM
BipeLuver

This Agwagon idea is great, but I am a scratch builder by heart. I like the Air Tractor kit. This is a good idea though.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

I am totally in favor of the Ag Wagon from RC Guys. I'm currently flying my Kyosho Ag Wagon I bought about 4 or 5 years ago. I have approx. 200+ hours on the airframe and it's starting to show it's age. Adding this model to my hangar would be AWSOME! I applaud RC Guys for considering us crop duster fans.I was going to order their Super Decathlon, but I already built a Dynaflite 89'' wing span Decathlon a while ago. The two Decathlons are simular in size so I said no. They came out with the Cessna 150 Aerobat but I already bought a Hangar 9 Cessna Skylane 96'' ws so that was out. Why have two similar airplanes. They have a Pitts, but....Great Planes been there done that. (Actually, hear that RC Guys Pitts is much better quality). This is a plane that could easily fill a niche in the market for us duster fans as well as other modelers who just want to try something different.
So, I say bring it on, RC Guys! Put me down for one and possibly a spare as well. Chipmunks are available. 1/4 scale ag planes are not available but we wish they were.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ag Wagon! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 AM
ken 68

I vote for an AgCat
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
roknHS

How about if we sway em to bring out the Ag Wagon first.......and when they see what a hit it is..............we'll sneak up behind em, and hit em with the Ag Cat idea..........I gotta believe a 1/4 Scale Ag Cat would look pretty impressive setting next to a 1/4 Scale Ag Wagon[:-]
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM
ken 68

I have a set of Bill Northrop's AgCat thats 7' 6" wing span I guess I could have them shrunk by 1/2 or so. I want one that will fly with my 2150 Mah 20C 3s. Can't fly glo anywhere near here so I'm building electric now.
But I would rather buy a kit the size I need rather than build.

Ken
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: roknhs

How about if we sway em to bring out the Ag Wagon first.......and when they see what a hit it is..............we'll sneak up behind em, and hit em with the Ag Cat idea..........I gotta believe a 1/4 Scale Ag Cat would look pretty impressive setting next to a 1/4 Scale Ag Wagon[:-]
With ideas like this ----this thread keeps getting better all the time. I've got a set of Ag Cat plans by Fitzgerald. Realisticly speaking, I don't think the Ag Cat would be the hit that the Ag Wagon would be. It takes a hardcore ag plane lover to find beauty in the Ag Cat. I'll be building one of these this coming winter 07-08. It's really hard for me to imagine this plane as an arf and selling quick off the shelves. Could I be wrong?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:55 PM
ken 68

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: roknhs

With ideas like this ----this thread keeps getting better all the time. I've got a set of Ag Cat plans by Fitzgerald. Realisticly speaking, I don't think the Ag Cat would be the hit that the Ag Wagon would be. It takes a hardcore ag plane lover to find beauty in the Ag Cat. I'll be building one of these this coming winter 07-08. It's really hard for me to imagine this plane as an arf and selling quick off the shelves. Could I be wrong?
So what size are your plans for and what power ? I haven't been to Kinko's yet and can adjust easy now. I want to power with electric with my Enerland 2150 Mah 20 C 3s.

Ken
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
outacontrol41

Ken
The plans for the Ag Cat are from Model Builder Magazine from the late 70's. The designer is Floyd Fitzgerald and I believe it's approx. 1/4 scale with top wing at 90'' wide. It can be powered by 35cc - 45cc. Get the plans from Bill Northrop and go to Kinko's and have them reduced to your liking. You'll probably end up using the lightest of balsa you can find and bypass the complex stuff (tailfeathers: instead of built up with sticks, use balsa sheeting). Post pictures during your build to inspire others to go electric with the Ag Cat.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I thought I would try to help out a little so folks can see some of the differences in the Ag Planes were talking about.

Picture #1 is the Ag Cat
Picture #2 is the Ag Wagon
Picutre #3 is the Thrush
Picture #4 is the AirTractor
Picture #5 is the AirTractor Slurry Bomber - 3 Blade, I hope you don't mind me using your picture.

Hopefully the order matches the description.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77134.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	668151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33268.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	668152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48074.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	668153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13968.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	668154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28569.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	668155  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
ken 68

I vote for # 1 but with the turbo mod.

Is # 3 the one made in Russia ?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
swixtt

in the first post he mentions they have already got some work done on the Wagon... so i see it logical to proceed in that direction. there is an electric kit out there already after the AT-802 so seeing the Wagon would be my vote for sure!
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM
ken 68

Theres an AT 602 electric 42" span 12 oz. in RCGroups thats a sweet looking plane. And when my SSI check comes in two more weeks I'm going to order one.

But I still want a AgCat.

Ken
Old 04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: GPutt33

I thought I would try to help out a little so folks can see some of the differences in the Ag Planes were talking about.

Picture #1 is the Ag Cat
Picture #2 is the Ag Wagon
Picutre #3 is the Thrush
Picture #4 is the AirTractor
Picture #5 is the AirTractor Slurry Bomber - 3 Blade, I hope you don't mind me using your picture.

Hopefully the order matches the description.
You didn't include a picture of my favorite...the Piper Pawnee??! I'M HURT. [][]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20820.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	668203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83517.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	668204  
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
ken 68

I was working at Piper Vero Beach & a friend helped put the air conditioning in the Pawnee. He told me it took a 5 ton unit to make it cool in the summer. Then they put the turbo on it and brought it alive. The first turbo I ever seen was on a Comanchee 400 and they flew it all over testing it. I'll never forget the pilot pulling up in front of the hanger and backing it in. They also put a turbo on a P-51 and it would out climb the shooting star they had for a chase plane. Piper bought the P-51 tooling and built a few test planes. So much for turbo's.

Ken
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
outacontrol41

Turbo charged engine or variable pitched turbo prop for backing the plane up?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
ken 68

Did it with the prop. Sounded neat when it went flat and then reversed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.