Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

World Models 1/3 Super Cub

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

World Models 1/3 Super Cub

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models 1/3 Super Cub

If the Sachs is heavier than the 3W106 with stock muff, than yup, it will be nose heavy.

The power would be fun.

Making this bird overpowered allowed me to fly it in our little park, with steep climb out over the trees. It is nice to have OMIGOD power for those special times.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 AM
sodbuster 1

I think a 5.8 weighs around 6 lbs.
too heavy you think?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM
bzyguy01

Ahhh. What does Jerry know anyway Just Kiddin! The Sachs 5.8 will work just fine...Very close weight to my GT 80 in my cub...Balanced perfectly. Love the Big power and you will have close to more as mine is a modded GT80. I have a Brison 5.8 that is basically the same thing as the Sachs and you will enjoy it but the two cylinders poking out the cowl are the best for looks. I hang my cub on the prop all the time and people just look at it in awwe!
Shayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71093.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	772191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70712.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	772192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26448.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	772193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41453.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	772194  
Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 PM
bzyguy01

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I would highly recommend the 6 inch Du-Bro Inflatables, they work great. The stockers were a little thin, and might have worked if one of the filler valves hadn't failed.

Also, articulated landing gear is high on the list for replacement. I am very experienced Cub Flyer, and would have no problem keeping the stock gear, and never damaging it, but, with a few hard landings it would get bent up by someone without that "Cub Touch".
Just to let all know ....The stock gear is WWAAAYY strong! If you bend the gear you have been landing it like a parachute! Don't ask me how I know[:@] No I didn't pile mine but rather while I was going up north , The cub was in my toy hauler....the toy hauler has beds that flip up and pin against the wall....Yeah, one fell while in transit and crushed my tail, fractured some of the fuse balsa and nearly blew out a inflatable tire....BUT did not bend the gear in the slightest and who know how many miles the entire bed was on top of it while I was driving?

The tire....well i took it off and used flexable CA on it overnite and it still holds air today! Amazing model for the $.

But Like Bosshossv8 ....Were flying and not crying as others build the kits! But in scale terms...Yes , Laughable. Laughable enough to win peoples choice award tho!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Bosshossv8

Right on,

IF I had the time to build, the BUSA 1/3 is ten times the plane. But, out of the box, this bird is a great fix for Big Bird-itus.

Forget the stock wheels, use the 6" Du-bro inflatables. The stock tailwheel spring could be softer, or a better one altogether.

If you were going to go weight crazy, there is a lot of room for a diet, but really, it is not needed. I think it's wing loading is perfect with the six pound 106.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
zayzay1

anyone know where to buy this cub at a discount??? in the US.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

byzguy said: "But Like Bosshossv8 ....Were flying and not crying as others build the kits! But in scale terms...Yes , Laughable. Laughable enough to win peoples choice award tho!!!! "

But builders have something to do with their hands during the 'dark' hours
Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 PM
bzyguy01

Shots taken by a friend at a local One Eighth Air Force meet. 1/3 World Models J-3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44872.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	799556  
Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Bosshossv8

Awesome pic.

Yes, it is a noble undertaking to build from kit, and the result is often times stellar.

I would not have had the chance to fly this bird anytime soon without this ARF.

The dark hours of winter may take me to kit one up...but alas....

My Super Cub crashed, pilot error into the trees after a 30 minute sit-down flight, I got up, went to the flight station and brought her in on a long approach, and dorked the depth perception, this model is SO big it looks like it is close rthan it seems.

I shreddddddddddded her through the trees. the secretary of my club loves doing re-builds....so he has it and is forensicly re-assembling. Fuse broke in two, topand bottom cabin seperated, firewall, one wing , one strut. minor damage on all other bits.

It will fly again....the 3W106 was stupid fun, and will go back in.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

whoa...sorry to hear abot that. I guess shred through the trees is better than plunge to the ground into balsa powder. We all make mistakes...learn...then move on.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bummer Bosshoss!!!!! Glad to hear it is rebuildable. I recently put one of these together. After several years of flying nothing but 37-50% aerobats, this plane is the most fun I can remember. Everything from low and slow flat turns to 1 foot inverted passes. This plane is an awesome deal for anyone thinking about a 1/3 scale Cub. Not the most scale Cub around, but very acceptable, well built, light and fun!!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Bosshossv8

THanks guys, yeah it happened a while back, and really bummed me out. I just plain dorked . [:@][:@]

I fly this bird at our public field.....www.rsmrc.com.

Ringed my trees, which for me , are usually no big deal, I am used to them. But on this flight, I was sitting ina lawnchair for 30 minutes...yup 30 minutes , my timer was set. Feet up, cooler in hand. I took her on a journey, all over the golf course, the Che Che Pin Qua woods, just putting and flat turning....got so far away, it looked like 40 glow trainer.

When the timer went off, I did not bring her down for some in the park fun,....to get size perspective back....
I just lined up for the long approach......bad idea, I was at my regular flight station for that approach, standing. We saw it dip behind trees and disappear....it was too late to pull up. I just plain (plane) dorked it. THe motor went all the way through the trees and landed in the soft grass!!! The rest tumbled down sloooowly.

There is a picture or two of me singing the Super Cub Blues with my Fender later on that weekend. It really made me sad.
If I only would've played with her down low before landing...total Big Bird depth perception dork out.

But, she is on her way back to being one piece again...I just got the wingtubes, and windshield from Airborne Models.

You can bet your Super Cub panties that I won't be taking the long approach any more , I was slipping this thing in like a parkie and have the video to prove it....this is the most fun bird I flew all year...and that includes my EF Yaks...

Oh, after the crash, I had easily 16 ounces of fuel left...after 30 minutes. 50 oz tank....

I was 3d'ing her somewhat..but was really saving it up for when I got the velocity stack and Williams gear. I could half hover -harrier her around like a balloon. Tail flip/loop her and keep right on hover-harriering.

The landing gear is TOO STRONG , IMO. Not enough give for our rough field, so I compensated by letting some air out of the 6" DuBro's....the stock wheels are little wimpy and blew one out filling her up. I actually PULLED the valve out of the tire when done filling her.

The next incarnation will have 2 32oz tanks ...gas and smoke. And we are modifying the wing attachment method. Right now, stock it uses the "screw into the wingtube method". I hate that...it get ugly/sloppy after a while. So we are hatching the top window, dowel pinning the wings, and blind nutting the first ribs. The stress of the struts was pulling on the wingtube screws a little too much for my liking , hogging out the holes...it was noticeable after some repeated looping and aerobatics.

Buy one of these....and get ready to be hooked on BIG CUBS....
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

What kind of smoke system are you going with. I hear with a big gasser you can use the little pump that runs on tank pressure. Glad to see you've learned your lesson and getting back into the air. Anything can happen between a loooong aproach and landing. Use your flaps, man, that's why you got 'em.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
zayzay1

so does the wm 1/3 super cub's flight charecteristics differ from the 1m 1/3 j-3 cub. If so how do they differ. I have everything ready I just need to buy the plane but which one?

g62, 2 6v 2600 nimh, 1 4.8v 2600 nimh, 7 5645's,

anything wrong with my plannned setup, will I need more weight or more power up front than the g62.

will a spring starter for the g62 work if I need more weight?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
sodbuster 1

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

When the timer went off, I did not bring her down for some in the park fun,....to get size perspective back....
I just lined up for the long approach......bad idea, I was at my regular flight station for that approach, standing. We saw it dip behind trees and disappear....it was too late to pull up. I just plain (plane) dorked it. THe motor went all the way through the trees and landed in the soft grass!!! The rest tumbled down sloooowly.

Hey Bosshoss I have one question..............

Did it sound scale coming thru the trees??

Just teasin'
My heart goes out to you?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
bignuts181

Hi guys I am about to comit modeling buy shoehorning a 3w 157 cs into the world models super cub. The model will be used for towing my 20kg(45lb) Aerobatic sailplane to height in a hurry!! at this point I have the motor and canisters and am waiting on the airframe to arive. Tell me is it a big job or is there scope to make the tailplanes removeable??

chers Rossco
Old 01-10-2008, 07:45 AM
wiz310

So, how would it go with the DZY 48Twin in it?. Thats what I fitted to mine. Its almost ready to maiden (this weekend if all goes well with work)
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Bosshossv8

The 157 will be sticking out really far, AND the left cyl will be VERY close to the cowl mounting tabs.

I had to stuff the ignition above the tank, and bring the wires out of the firewall in the upper corners and then re-install the plug caps.

I needless to say had to really cut out the cowl for the Cyls to stick out, but it was worth it. MY 3W106 S.S. would have pulled TWO Super Cubs vertical, the 157 will have plenty of reserve power when towing, absolutlely instant takeoffs.

The 48 twin will be enough to fly her for sure, just not vertical. 45 degree climb out for sure. With full flap , it will leap off the ground. But , it needs 5 to 6 pounds on the nose to balance, so it might as well be motor!!!!

Mine is rebuilt from the crash, better than it came from the factory, with a new wing attachment method, better than the screws through the wingtube method. Also, a stronger stringer build, re-inforced this and that. AND, a new color scheme.

I will post pics here when she is assembled the first time. A good friend re-built her for me, and I am going to stuff it with the works this time. Smoke, cameras, drop box, lights, shock absorbing gear, AND the 3W106 is going back on the nose for sure.

It looks dynamite, a cross between Clipped Wing and Super Cub schemes.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 AM
bignuts181

Hi there Boss, I have been dreaming of how this model will be going together for the past couple of weeks ans figured there would be some serious juggling. The first and most fun bit will be to cut a huge hole in the firewall to fit the 420mm canisters and mounts. Now if I'm not mistaken World models provide you with a flat platform just below the door hight, I figured this would make a good canister tunnel and put a substitute panel in the bottom of the model towards the back to let out the hot air and mount the 2 x 2s 4200 lipos with power expander and reg ontop of the tray. I'll be using HT 5955tg servos throughout with 475bb's on throttle and choke, anymore is a waste. and then 3800 intelect nmh on ignition. I have also been thinking of updating the uc to the 1/3 robart units and giving that ugly tailwheel the big heave ho in favour of a leaf spring unit. I have a 2 litre fuel tank that should offer 30 minutes run time.

This cub is going to rock your socks off!!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Bosshossv8

There is plenty of room for modification , for sure. You are going to be adding an extra layer to the firewall for sure, just to space it out , to get the cyl clearance on the cowl mount, so use it as your cut template for the cans, before you add it.

The servo tray can be made removable, so that would help also. There really isn;t much bracing holding the whole cab together, but when modifying it for servo tray, what you add will help. The vertical junction in front is the weak part , IMO. In most Cub the the inverted "V" brace is structurally functional, in this one it is not, it is only ornamental....change that, we did, it was easy. Add attachment points and use metal rod. This will go a long way to making it handle short loops, and heavy twisting rolls.

This Super Cub is a great plane right out of the box in "Lazy Sunday Flier " mode. But, with a little beefing it can handle and stay together in "Super Sunday Acrobatic Flier " mode.

Come on spring,.....
Old 01-19-2008, 05:56 PM
bignuts181

thanks for the heads up Boss the functional V strut is a top idea and as you mentioned will stiffen things up imensely I was also thinking of tieing bulkeads 1 and 2 together with 1/4 dowl @ 4 corners and then mount the motor to a carbon ply carbon laminate with short SWB standoffs to the firewall. the fuel tank I'll mount under the C of G and hard to one side this should allow enough room for the throttle and choke servos.

Hey apparently World models are very close to releasing a float set for the cub triplets.

cheers Rossco.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Bosshossv8

HI,

Yes , F1 and F2 got beefed on mine during the re-build. My fuel tank is going in the stock location again, with a removable holder. The Smoke tank is going under the servo tray, on the C of G.

I have the Wallace gear for mine, and yes the stock tailwheel is getting pitched. I originally used it, but, it is A: Way too stiff, and B: the camber angle is not suited well for lumpy bumpy, deer hoof holed, grassy runways.

I have some Touch and go footage from last year BEFORE my crash, let me see if I can get it uploaded.

I will post it on RCU vid and the Flying G*I*A*N*T*S. You have to trick the RCU software, seems RCU doesn't like references to other sites in the hobby. LOL. Juvenile style exclusionary playground rules......
Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 PM
bignuts181

hahhaha
Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Bosshossv8

Here you go Bignuts....

This oughta get you twisting the screws .................

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/NRQ26HMHL0SQCWHL]SUPER CUB Touchy Feely. [/link]
Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 AM
bignuts181

cool this is cunna be sooooo much fun only problem is I will only have 10 days to build and fit out the model....OUCH!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.