Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 or 1/3 scale J3 cub

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 or 1/3 scale J3 cub

Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 AM
LennyD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 or 1/3 scale J3 cub

I am looking to build either a 1/4 or 1/3 scale J3 cub (full wing version) can someone advise me on what kit they recommend and why. I am looking for a great flying cub with a nice accurate scale look to it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Marcol

Default RE: 1/4 or 1/3 scale J3 cub

For the 1/4 scale go with the Sig kit and in 1/3 scale it has to be Balsa USA.

I have the Sig 1/4 scale J3 and I regularly fly my friends 1/3 scale Supercub from Balsa USA.

They are both great flyers.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
fcf

i just completed a sig 1/4 j3 kit. it was not bad at all i have not flown it yet due to weather but it look good.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

fcf i have 3 sigs here in sheridan where do you fly would like to see it in the air thankd frank
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 AM
LennyD
My Feedback: (1)

I fly on Long Island in New York Frank although I have seen the Sig fly already though. I was curious as to see if there was an opinion as to othe kit makers out there (although unfortunately there aren't many kit makers left) that might fly even better or perhaps even offered more scale features in their kit. Thanks for the input. Is there a reason you chose Sig over Balsa USA Frank?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

to me sig has better wood, plans, instrutions, better over all but i like sig, have seen balsa usa and sig looks better to me thanks frank
Old 01-01-2008, 12:19 AM
EdFly

Lenny, welcome to the Cub Club! I can't speak to the Balsa USA Cub, but I have the Sig 1/4 scale, and I have been flying it for about 3 years now. Some do's and don'ts. Do build a kit, it is a very rewarding experience. Do cover it in fabric. Mine is covered in 21st Century Fabric which is great, and Nelson has a fine product too. Do purchase a set of operating gear like Robart or J3CubGear, it makes all the difference in the world. Do have tail wheel experience before you try this plane. Don't worry if your Cub needs to go on a diet because they can handle the weight. Do have fun shooting about 100 touch and go's on a lazy summer afternoon, and even try some one wheel landings while you are at it..... Have fun.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 AM
minitelemaster

I'm planning on purchasing a 1/4 scale cub too, and I've narrowed it down to the balsa usa or sig kits. Still can't decide though...Any information on either kit would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

You might want to research the engine issue. The Sig is not as wide as the BUSA in the cowl department I have heard. I am currently building a Sig 1/4 scale clip wing cub. This plane is made for the OS 160 twin in my opinion, although many other motors have been used. I have decided on a Supertiger G2300 just because of size and price. The ST will fit inverted inside the cowl and the firewall will not need to be moved reward to place the prop in the proper location so the nose does not seem to long. I had thought of using a 1.2 4S but this would have required the firewall being moved rearward about an inch. The fuel tank then extends into the interior of the plane to far for my taste. I have built Sig and BUSA kits although not a BUSA Cub. Both manufacturers are a gift to the model building community and either would be an excellent choice. I am very pleased with my Sig Clip Wing Cub. The plane is ready for cover and I plan on using Sig Koverall and Acrylic Latex paints from the craft store for the finish. Paint scheme will be the very often used Hazel Sig colors. Scale documentation is easy to get for this plane.
Hope this helps, best wishes.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

IMO you can't go wrong with either the SIG or BUSA Cub as they are both excellent kits that will produce a very good flying plane. We have several of both at my Club - I have the BUSA with a G23 and I see no major difference in looks or flying qualities of any of them. I bought the BUSA because it was less expensive... I did replace some of the wood and hardware - but I do that with virtually any kit I build.... I used 95% of what came in the box and found the plane to be easy to build assuming you have experience cutting/sizing lots of sticks to size! A good disk sander with a miter angle guide is a must. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
minitelemaster

Thanks for the info! Do both the sig and balsa usa 1/4 cubs have barn door ailerons? I just couldn't stand the look of strip ailerons on a scale plane that large. I'm thinking of going electric power, but it's hard to convince myself when I can go gas for less.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
minitelemaster

Do both the sig and balsa usa kit have a 2-piece wing? I assume so, cause that's a BIG wing, but better be safe than sorry
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Both are barn door and two piece... neither plane is exactly scale but close enough for government work and look great especially in the air.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: minitelemaster

I'm planning on purchasing a 1/4 scale cub too, and I've narrowed it down to the balsa usa or sig kits. Still can't decide though...Any information on either kit would be appreciated.
Minitelemaster --
If you're interested in the BUSA 1/4 scale J3 I have one NIB for sale. Along w/ cowl, cylinders included, and an engine kit too. Decided to go -- and went -- w/ the H9 1/4 Pn'P rather than "roll my own". PM me if you're interested.
Al