Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

let me know if you find a way to install the lights thanks frank
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
JoeMamma

Subscribed
Old 09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
anderhau
My Feedback: (1)

What size 3-blades Biela would you recomend for the OS FT160 GEMINI in this model?

Everything has arrived! I'm ordering the lighting system from Electro Dynamics tomorrow, and the Robart Nosegear are on it's way.

I have been looking at pictures and videos of the fullsize 182 to find out about the exterior lights on this plane. Anyone of you have an overview of what colors, where, and if they should flash or not?

Looking forward to build this GREAT looking plane!:-)

Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 AM
[email protected]

Hi guys
Just to give you all an update on my 182, it arrived from the states yesterday (Friday) and on opening the box
I inspected all the parts just to make sure that all was well with everything.
There was a few dents on the packing but the model was all intact due mainly to the very efficient way it's packed up.
the only thing I noticed was a few wrinkles on the wings,tail feathers and some small ones on the fuselage which shouldn't take much to
remove with a quick run over with the heat gun.
This is one very large model.
I don't like the tinted window glass though and will probably exchange this for a clear allternative to allow you to see into the cockpit area.
the size of this model will lend itself to having 2 action man size figures for pilots put in there as this will be about the right size for the scale.
Each of these figures(full body)are about 10" tall and I will have to get the wife to fashion some sort of outfit for them to wear.

Has anyone used these before for pilot figures and also has anyone changed the window glass to clear acetate???
One other question is what servos to use as I was going to put in HiTech Hi Torque Digitals for everything with exceptions of the throttle.

Your thoughts guys would be much appreciated on the above.

I also ordered the nav light system from Electro Dynamics which is on its way. When I last checked the tracking number it had left O'Hare airport in Chicago
so it should arrive here soon.
I also took delivery of a new Zenoha 26 and also a scale nose leg from belair Digital down in England which is a really nice piece of machining work.
Anyway guys your thoughts on the above questions would be much appreciated.
I'll try and post some pictures of the build process as I go along.

regards to all from Steve in Scotland

O one more thing I will have to travel to Seattle for work purposes on 16th October so if any you guys know of any good model shops let me know.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 AM
anderhau

ORIGINAL: [email protected]
One other question is what servos to use as I was going to put in HiTech Hi Torque Digitals for everything with exceptions of the throttle.
Hi there.

My lights are also on the way from ED, and I also got the onboard glow system from him. Nice to both have onboard glow remotely switched, and idle-glow. No need to make ugly holes in the beautiful fuselage/cowl for glow purposes...:-)

When it comes to servos i have desided on the new Hyperion Atlas digital servos. I have never tried them before but have bought them for two new projects of mine. I have been very satisfied with all products I have tried from Hyperion (motors, regulators, chargers, plane kits, aso.), and I expect to be very satisfied with these new servos also!:-)

For Flaps I have chosen the Hyperion Atlas Digital HP-DS20UMD: 13.8 kg/cm combined with 0.18 sek/60 deg
For all other surfaces I have chosen the Hyperion Digital Atlas HP-DS20FMD: 8.2 kg/cm combined with 0.13 sek/60 deg

Both servos cost around 40 USD. No one can beat that "bang-for-the-buck".

Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
A MAY

hi
just wondering what type of hinges used for rudder an elevator have been used other than the stock zap in type
thank you
Arden May
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
EdwardB
My Feedback: (6)

I used CA type hinges all around for my 182, but not the ones supplied. There are several brands of quarter scale or giant scale CA hinges, which I typically upgrade to for this size model. I've used the ones from Radio South, and B & B, both with good results. For giant scale, I will often sometimes make them a little wider (e.g. 1 inch instead of 3/4 inch) and also put in more than the plans show. I also don't stick pins in them, as many instructions show to center during installation. I've never had one fail (sound of knocking on wood...).
Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Volker001

About onboard-glow:
I made the decision to make my own onboard-glow - costs: 10 US$ and it's working perfekt!

Here you can find the plan for the wirering*:
http://home.comcast.net/~volker-rogl...low-system.jpg

ALL parts you get at Radioshack ! for about 10 bucks

* use a little thicker wire - for less resistance!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Volker001

flashing is only the peakon on the tail-feather and the strobe-lights (if you got them) at the wingtips - all other lights are steady - as far as I remember - flew the real 182 years ago...
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Volker001

and here again: The "no cost" exhaust/muffler/silencer - workshop - for the Cessna 182 Hangar 9 with a 4-stroke-twin

http://home.comcast.net/~volker-rogl...a/silencer.htm

large pictures availlable - just klich on the smaller ones!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 AM
anderhau

Nice silencer! Is the temperature there low enough in use to solder with standard soldering paste, as the one I use on wires?

The budget remote glow are nice, but I think lots of us want to be able to control it remotely, and mix it on to throttle as idle-glow.

I went for the remote glow from ED.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
vince.b

Is there a float kit/arf the H9 182 ?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
eyecare

Just noticed your post on the Robert Nose Gear. My advice to you is to go right to the Sierra unit. the Robert is slightly beter then the origional and we all know that this nose gear was not configured properly. Sierra still needs to be treated gently on landings (slightly nose high) Be carefull on power landings where the nose wheel touches down slightly sooner then the mains. I have seen the firewall pulled out by this action.

................. Good Luck, .... Gene
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
eyecare

The G-26 is a great engine for the Cessna 182. I am using a Grumpner 3 bladed 15 x 8 prop and get excellent results. The nose gear and firewall are tender areas on this model, so try to flair out on the main gear to soften the touch down. In the air the plane is very well behaved and a pleasure to fly.

................ Good Luck, ............. Gene
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM
anderhau

ORIGINAL: eyecare
Just noticed your post on the Robert Nose Gear. My advice to you is to go right to the Sierra unit. the Robert is slightly beter then the origional and we all know that this nose gear was not configured properly. Sierra still needs to be treated gently on landings (slightly nose high) Be carefull on power landings where the nose wheel touches down slightly sooner then the mains. I have seen the firewall pulled out by this action.
Maybe it's a reason for the spring on the original strut? Both the Robart (arrived yesterday) and the Sierra strut are "solid" all the way without any form of suspension to take the load of the firewall. If the new struts make the complete firewall come off, I'm wondering if I should use the stock strut....?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Yakflyer
My Feedback: (2)

The G-26 is a great power system to fly this plane around. I have one now I have flown as long as 20 minutes (using a APC 17x6 prop) and still had 1/4 tank of gas left.
The factory strut is only for looks. Eyecare is right about flaring. Do not attempt a landing on the factory nose gear, it will bend and/or break the fire wall you mounted it to. I only made 6 Landings and it happened to me. Another member at my flying field made only one landing before his snapped. I doubled the firewall with 3/16 plywood and beefed it up with additional triangle stock using the serria visit strut. No more problems with it collapsing now!
It is a pleasure to fly!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
eyecare

The stock strut would be my last choice. The Serria with its "Olio" strut function I feel is the most forgiving. The wheel fork on the Robert will tend to be bent to the side on a less then good landing and this would require some workshop repair time.

................. Gene
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
eyecare

Hi Yakflyer,

Noticed on your response that you were able to add triangular support stock to the firewall area. If this was done behind the origional firewall, I would appreciate knowing how you got back in there to accomplish this fix?

................. Gene
Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Yakflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Usually I have my son-in-law help with this type of installation. He has very small hands! lol. I love kidding him about that too!
But in this case I used a sharp pointer which a poked into the triangle stock, used some epoxy on the contact area(s) and worked in in with the scuwer, held it until it dried.
You will have to wiggle and contort a tad, but if a clumsy ox like myself can get it done, I'm sure you might be able too.
Let me know how it goes.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 PM
eyecare

Thanks Yakflyer,

I haven't lost my firewall yet however, I can see that happening.

Will let you know if I have to make that trip.

........... Gene
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
chappyg63

Hello,

I have one of These... What a nice plane!

For a PowerPlant... The Fuji 50EI w/ onboard starter. WOW! 5.2 Hp Less weight than the G-38... And it completly fits inside. Nothing sticking out. With a 3-blade 18-10 Mejzlik carbon prop. Lots of power to spare.

I used All Digital servos. All Working Nav lights, Aftermarket front strut. Ultimate Spinner Polished & Chromed.

Still have to add brakes.

The first flight was great. I flick of a swith... A slow realistic start... Then The Fuji came to life! A fantastic sounding slow idle. After a short roll it took to the air. Cruise at about 1/3 throttle

No trimming req'd. Did roles like a dream. Great slow flight ..Amost a hover. Landed with 25% flaps... Very Nice, Soft & slow.

I will be posting pics and Video.

Greg Chapman
Winnipeg, Canada
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
JoeMamma

Have been trying to decide which nose gear to get. Decided on the Sierra unit with the optional wheel/tire.

How did you fellahs remove the stock wheel pant without damaging the pant or the original paint ? How did you install it ?

Any other tips/pictures on installing the Sierra unit ? I did read on one post about modifying/cutting the engine mounting box to fit the Sierra unit.

Is this unit fairly easy to install ?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 AM
EdwardB
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Joe. I used the Sierra nose gear on mine as well. If you can get hold of the RC Report review of the Hangar 9 182, Dick Pettit explains in detail how to remove the stock nose gear wheel pant and install on the Sierra nose gear. Basically it involves removing as much of the resin holding the wheel pant to the stock fork as possible. I used a Dremel and got most of it out. Then if it won't tap loose, a little bit of heat on the fork and it should come right off. Mine came off pretty easily with no damage. The Sierra unit requires a much bigger hole in the top of the pant, so you have to lay that out, and then it fits back over the Sierra fork. I used epoxy with some milled fiberglass filler from the inside and around the fork. There’s a lot of glue surface, and it’s a pretty tight fit, so it’s not going anywhere.

Regarding installation on the firewall -- don't use the block provided in the kit. Bolt the Sierra unit directly to the firewall. The Sierra has the proper forward rake built into the mounting bracket. There have been some comments in this thread about reinforcing the firewall installation, since the Sierra unit is pretty rigid. I do agree some additional strength is needed in the firewall itself, or it could pull out. I made a plate out of 1/4 inch birch ply, with the t-nuts installed, and glued to the inside of the firewall. I made it as big as I could fit to spread the load onto as much of the firewall as possible. As I recall, it was about 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches. I also sanded the face of the plate, so that it became kind of a wedge, and the back of the plate is parallel to the front of the Sierra bracket. That way, the bolts and t-nuts were perpendicular. Hope this makes sense. Easier to do than to explain… I haven't found any additional bracing of the firewall necessary. First, the Sierra gear has excellent shock absorbing characteristics. Second, the 182 lands as slowly and gently as any giant scale I've ever had. Set it on the mains first, as others have suggested, and the stress on the nose gear and firewall is really pretty minimal. But with this setup, it's not fragile at all.

You will have to drill a hole in the bottom of the engine box for the strut, and it will extend through 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch. As it turned out, with the engine I used (Saito 182 twin) I needed the tank pretty much right on the floor of the engine box, so had to cut off the top of the Sierra strut, and it's flush with the inside top of the box. This part of the strut is not structural, so doesn't hurt anything. I placed the top of the drag links right against the bottom of the fuse, and this gave the exact stance and necessary prop clearance. Also, you will have to move the location of the nose gear steering pushrod from the pre-drilled stock location. A simple change. I've attached a picture of my installation, for what it's worth. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76858.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	781445  
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 AM
[email protected]

Hi Guys
My Cessna is just about finished and should be ready for its maiden flight soon.
I am off to Seattle for a meeting on Tuesday so this will have to wait until I get back home to Scotland.

I'm only waiting on a few items to complete like a white tail nav light and a red beacon for the under side of the fuselage.
All the other lights are installed and working fine.
I got these from Electro Dynamics.
I also fitted the after market noseleg to mine but to install this the first thing I did was to get a piece of card and hold this up to the front firewall.
the straight edge of the card was placed under the engine box and i traced around the bottom piece next to the former.
This gave me a template to use to allow me to cut a full piece of 1/4" birch ply to cover the whole bottom area.
Once I cut this out I gave it a rough sand and used 30 min epoxy to glue to the firewall.
I had already drilled and installed the t-nuts for the nosegear which I bought from Belair Digital in Norfolk England which is very similar to the Sierra one and these helped to pull the ply into position and hold it until the glue had set up.

One additional thing I did within the cabin area was to go to the local electrical supplier and buy a length of that electrical wire conduit.
You know the rectangular one with the snap on front. I cut 2 x 8"pieces of this and fixed them from the floor of the cabin up to just above the side windows.
This is excellent for concealing all the wiring that goes up to the wings and saves it trailing all over the cabin area.

I'll get some photos and maybe even a video with all the nav lights working when I return from the States.

Happy Building & Flying Guys

Steve
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
JoeMamma

Edward and Steve,

Thanks for the info on the nose gear. I went digging through my old copies of RC Report and found the Sierra article (Nov. 2003). I planned on ordering the Sierra unit today.

After having two different firewalls fail on two different Hanger 9 ARF's, I had planned on beefing up the Cessna's. Hanger 9 puts out some really nice scale ARF's, but their lack of quality control is quite evident ! How do you say CHINA GLUE ![:@]

This Cessna will probably take me forever to finish assembling as I'm currently assembling an OS 1.6FX powered Hanger 9 Sundowner, a Dual Ace twin powered with a pair of OS 52 4-strokes, an EFlite P-38, a 100 mph over-powered electric ducted fan in an Alfa F-86 jet and other various RC projects. Did I forget to mention I'm also happily retired ?? [8D] Too many airplanes....not enough time !!!

Ed: I noticed you are from Lake Orion. Do you belong to a local club ? I'm a member of the Radio Control Club of Detroit (RCCD). We have a real nice grass field in Lenox Township. I try to get out flying at least twice a week.

Steve: Any chance you could take a pic of the wire routing conduit ? I called some electrical suppliers. They only carry large conduit. Can't wait to see the video of your lighting system.

I still need to drive over to see Andy at ElectroDynamics to pick up my lighting system. His wife Kathy told me they have a display model with a working lighting system.

Thanks Again,
Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.