Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Old 12-09-2015, 05:56 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy_Pilot View Post
As part of my quest to add more scale touches to the Cessna I bought a set of Robart Fowler hinges. These allow you to mimic the movement of the real 182's Fowler flaps which travel back as they deploy. I built a quick ply mockup to see how they come together before committing to cutting holes in my wings and flaps and I'm certainly glad I did. Several problems became clear:

-The fit between the plastic tracks and the bushings is extremely sloppy.
-The tracks appear to be laser cut, and being plastic this resulted in a raised melt bead around all of the cuts which Robart didn't bother to deal with. These raised edges snag on the steel brackets as they slide.
-The slop, combined with a single point actuation, results in the flap skewing as it's pushed or pulled.

My first order of business will be to 3D print a new set of tracks with a tighter fit to the slide bushings. Once that's done I can re-do the mockup and see if that solves the problem or if the single point actuation is really just a deal breaker.
The single point actuation, to me, seems like the bigger problem. Getting them working on the bench is one thing. Under aerodynamic load single point actuation will cause a jam in the contraption and stall the servo. Will likely need a two point actuation to work free of jams in the air. May need a to drive a driveshaft with the servo which in turn actuates the fowler at two points.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 PM
rgaynor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Tom - I happen to have an extra wing tube along with other parts. PM me and we can discuss. Best
Ron
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgaynor View Post
Hey Tom - I happen to have an extra wing tube along with other parts. PM me and we can discuss. Best
Ron
Hi Ron.
I have PM'ed you twice and have not heard back. If the tube is unavailable thats ok.
I have yet to successfully find any data on the tube dimensions.
I have called Horizon (nothing) and TnT landing gear with zero results.
I know I could measure the socket the tube goes in with a micrometer but thats not always accurate (socket out of round ect).
If anyone gets a chance to measure theirs I'd appreciate it.
(so would horizon lol)

tp
Old 01-13-2016, 06:16 PM
RonTins

Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
Hi Ron.
I have PM'ed you twice and have not heard back. If the tube is unavailable thats ok.
I have yet to successfully find any data on the tube dimensions.
I have called Horizon (nothing) and TnT landing gear with zero results.
I know I could measure the socket the tube goes in with a micrometer but thats not always accurate (socket out of round ect).
If anyone gets a chance to measure theirs I'd appreciate it.
(so would horizon lol)

tp
Tube outer diameter is 27.0mm and length is 31.5 inches.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Tom in Cincy

Originally Posted by RonTins View Post
Tube outer diameter is 27.0mm and length is 31.5 inches.
Thank you for taking the time to measure the tube. Its appreciated..
I am going to start the search for a proper replacement right now..
tp
Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Tom in Cincy

I just received my wing tube from China. Excellent quality carbon fiber tube. 27mm diameter was right on.
I do have to trim the length but thats no problem..
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 AM
RonTins

Originally Posted by Crazy_Pilot View Post
So after two years and as many moves I'm finally settled into a new house and can get back to work on my Cessna. My original plan was to just push ahead and get it flight ready, but after reading over a few really detailed scale build threads I decided that I wanted to enjoy the construction phase a bit more.

To get the correct location of the door I ran masking tape around it's perimeter and then pushed a pin through from the inside flush with the ply formers. Connect the dots and voila, exact door outline matching the plane's structure perfectly. I'm slightly bummed that I can't achieve the exact scale shape (the floor is lower in the real plane), but oh well, that's what I get modifying a pre-built model. The cargo door will be a bit trickier to lay out - I'll have to make a series of scaled measurements to get it just right.

Once this plane is done it's going to become a floatplane. Being a cottager I love seeing Cessna's fly off the lake (a former neighbour had a gorgeous 185), and seeing a scale model skimming the water is a sight that's hard to beat. However, swapping over from floats to land gear is annoying. Soooooo... Amphibious floats it is! I've been casually designing the retracts in Catia for the past year or so and now that the bug has bit me again I got back to work. A friend has a 3D printer and offered to run off the parts for the prototype so that I can test the geometry and I'm happy to say it works nearly perfectly. A couple small changes to the design and it'll be ready to reproduce for real. Next step is to prototype the main gear and get it working.

My goal is to make this as close a replica as possible of a late model T182T, right before the JT-A model was released. This means glass cockpit, tan interior, proper antennae, all that jazz. Should be fun, I've never gone this in depth into a build before!

Hey CP. Any updates on the working fowler flaps for you Cessna?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM
labebe

Hi, I am planning to install a Saito FG 36. Would like to know if anybody have installed it ??? Will fit inside the Cowl ?? Will the backplate be just where the cowl ends??
alex
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 AM
labebe

Another thing, I new to buy a new windshield.
any idea where???
Alex
Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 AM
labebe

Hi, I am planning to install aSaito FG 36. I think it is the same size of the Saito 220 like yours. Tell me pease about the backplate, will it bi closer to the cowl???
how do you fixed the muffler problem???
Alex
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

Delete
Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM
tim allen

THAT is funny ! Gave me a great laugh , thank you !
Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 PM
M.R.FPV

I know this is an old post but I recently picked up a H9 182 and I have a E GT262 engine I was thinking of putting on it. I seen this and just wanted to say how it looks great. I need to get a different muffler for mine. I also need some other parts to get the plane ready. I'm missing the wing tube and struts. Anything you can remember or advise for me I would appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Tom in Cincy

I used K&S Metals #1105 3/4 x 35" 4800 (hobby) streamline tubing.
I glued a Carbon fiber rod inside the aluminum tube.
Covered it with white heat shrink tubing 2 layers.
The wing tube I bought was from Ebay.
carbon fiber tube. 27mm diameter
Old 07-26-2019, 07:04 PM
M.R.FPV

Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
I used K&S Metals #1105 3/4 x 35" 4800 (hobby) streamline tubing.
I glued a Carbon fiber rod inside the aluminum tube.
Covered it with white heat shrink tubing 2 layers.
The wing tube I bought was from Ebay.
carbon fiber tube. 27mm diameter
Oh ok yeah I have been trying to find a tube 1 1/8" od by 36" but I'm having a hard time. It's more a matter of the wall size and making sure it's not a total waist of time and money buying it online. I found one locally 1" so adding the heat shrink on it may work perfectly. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 PM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by M.R.FPV View Post
Oh ok yeah I have been trying to find a tube 1 1/8" od by 36" but I'm having a hard time. It's more a matter of the wall size and making sure it's not a total waist of time and money buying it online. I found one locally 1" so adding the heat shrink on it may work perfectly. Thanks for the idea.
You might try here:https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ube_6061t6.php They have a large selection of different size aircraft aluminum tubing with different wall thicknesses.