Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Monster Planes Fly-In

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Monster Planes Fly-In

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Planes Fly-In

Is anyone going. I figured I'd make the trip up there from Charlotte, NC to see some huge planes and stay for the weekend.

Anyone else going?

~Michael~
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monster Planes Fly-In

Do you know the dates?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
iflynething

October 17-19th. Lake Wales Airport, FL.

http://www.monsterplanes.com/

Ha ha. I thought it was going to be in Muncie, IN and it wouldn't be that bad of a drive, but it's a 587 mile, 9 1/2 hour trip now since I found out it's in Florida.......grr.

~Michael~
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflynething

October 17-19th. Lake Wales Airport, FL.

http://www.monsterplanes.com/

Ha ha. I thought it was going to be in Muncie, IN and it wouldn't be that bad of a drive, but it's a 587 mile, 9 1/2 hour trip now since I found out it's in Florida.......grr.

~Michael~

Go back and learn about the event. The event is geared towards aircraft that fall outside the normal size and weight for the AMA to insure. So this event IS NOT AMA sanctioned. I did not even expect this type of event to be anywhere near Muncie. Read a little about it on the link you provided.

Rafael
Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Jim Messer

I have always thought that the pilots are the show, and without them there is no show. I am a little concerned that a $50.00 pre-registratiion fee, or a $75.00 registration when you get there, is a bit much for the average Joe pilot. I have four airplanes that qualify, (all 40% scale) but I'm going to have to think long and hard about paying $75.00 to fly them.

I hesitate to pre-register because my wife is in need of constant care, and the possibility exists that if I can't find someone to stay with her - I'll have to stay home anyway.

Am I the only one that sees the high registration fee as a problem? Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

No your not the only one. I too have decided not to attend one reason being the entry fee. I understand about all the work that goes into this and people have contributed it to having to pay the airport,but according to the local paper up there the airport is only charging a fee of about 6 or 7 hundred dollars. The other thing I am not impressed about is the way Tiano conducted himself at the banquet for the jet rally.This is just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 PM
mogman

I'm driving down from Vancouver B.C.(7000 mile round trip) Although I am bringing a plane to fly (1/2 scale s/walker) my main reason for going is I've never been to that part of the country and I would like to meet and talk to some of the people I read about in the mags and on sites like this one.Plus I have the time to do it.I am coming by myself so I will be looking for a little help for starting, spotting etc. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer
... I am a little concerned that a $50.00 pre-registratiion fee, and $75.00 registration when you get there, is a bit much for the average Joe pilot.....
Could it be that since this is not an AMA sanctioned event (read: non AMA insured) Mr. Tiano had to get some kind of insurance and you are paying for it during the registration? Otherwise, everybody knows that this hobby ain't cheap, and the price/cost goes up with the size of the aircraft.

Rafael
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Anything within guidelines is covered by the AMA, same with waivered planes that are outside guidelines.

I'm 99 percent sure I read that he has third party coverage for anything not covered by the AMA
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 AM
mogman

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer I am a little concerned that a $50.00 pre-registratiion fee, and $75.00 registration when you get there, is a bit much for the average Joe pilot.

There aren't 2 registration fees. The reg.fee is $75.00, if you pre-register it's $50.00
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Jim Messer

Mogman: Thanks for pointing out a grammatical error in my post. It has been edited to say :
$50.00 pre-registration OR $75.00 when you get there. That's what I meant to say - just typed it wrong.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
eagledancer

i am going to be there, sold my sopwith pup that would of qualified, my camel is not done yet. if someone wants a spotter or help just holler
moving to fl just before the event.
todd
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM
iflynething

Well I was just wondering if ya'll were going.

I have seen alot of threads around about no 3D flying. I guess at the moment, I could care less about the 3D flying. I know there are large Extras, Edges, etc. out there that could come to the event. I have read up on it but could have swore it was in Muncie. The planes are going to be huge but the trip is very long.

I was wanting to take the new car I just bought down there but if I can get on my dads stuff for flying since he works for US Air, I could fly down there for free and save $200 in gas.

~Michael~
Old 10-03-2008, 06:47 PM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

Booked my flight, going as a spectator, loking to lend a hand if needed. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Oh yeah, about Frank at the dinners. Yes he does have a coarse sense of humor that is not to everyone's likeing. Definitely PG-13 (at least). You've been warned! Nuff said.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:56 PM
FTiano

Thought I might clear up a few misconceptions about Monster Planes USA.
You know, hearing it from the horses mouth etc. First of all as of today, October 6th, we have 51 aircraft signed up with verbal commitments of approximately 25 or so more.
Second, I know that the entry feee of $50 sounds a little steep, compared to the average pattern or scale contest where its ony $35-$40, but we do have some unusual expenses and there doesn't seem to be any way to recoop them other than to charge the entry fee and spectator fee.
But, what you get for the $50 is a Flight Line location for your tent, a 5,000 Square Foot Tent for overnight storage of your models so they do not have to be taken apart. And Paid Security Personel overnight as well. There's no electricity on site we we had to rent generators, and then there's those darn porta potties to go to the bathroom! We had to purchse insurance, over $1,000, so heavier models can fly with confidence. And then there's the personel that set up the event and tear it down. Since we have NO volunteers, we have to pay each person a salary, every single one off them.
So while it may not set well with a some folks, at least you have an idea of why we charge a registration fee. Oh yes, one thing else the pilots will get for their reg fee. A GREAT place to fly. All open spaces, choice of grass or hard surface runway, 2,000 feet of it and another 2,000 feet out in front of you as you fly. Skillled Flight Line Crew from Top Gun will handle safety issues on the line. Hope this helps. Sorry of it doesn't.
Look forward to seeing some of you there. BTW, there's a FREE Pizza and Wings party, on site, for all pilots, Friday night, just bring your own beverages.

Frank
Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Jim Messer

Frank:

Thanks for the explaination. In my case, with a wife that requires constant care, I never know from one day to the next just what is in store for me. So I ask you this question? What is the last date that one can pre-register with the $50.00 fee? I just want to avoid being penalized with the additional $25.00 late fee, if I can help it, in light of these circumstances.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

What is the fee for spectators?
Is there an additional parking fee?
Will we be allowed to see the planes close up or will this require an additional $$ pit pass like previous events ?

Can't seem to find this info on the website
Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
mogman

Jim, the website states Oct. 10 is the cutoff for early registration.
Cheers, dave.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Jim Messer

mogman: Thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 AM
FTiano

Good Morning,

The Spectator entry fee includes up close parking. The pilots are allowed to have their trailers right at their tents, but nmot the tow vehicles.
The event has an "Open Pit Policy" so spectators are welcome to run all over the place, EXCEPT
up to the actual Flight Line where the guys flying are standing. There are a few vendors coming as well. You know, it's the first year for this and it was quite an experiment, but it appears that it will grow, perhaps larger than Top Gun, only because of the interest and novolty in the larger airplanes. And remember, not every
airplane here is going to be a Monster. While we have several at around 100 pounds, the average is a 55 pound bird. From the number of emails I have received, that will change next year because the event has given those who were building larger models, but stoppped because of a lack of places to fly them, a renewed interest and has rekindled their spirit to work on them again.
We hope for the best. This event is run for the pilots as much as we can, and we appreciate them becasue without them, there is no Monster Planes.
It's just unfortunate that we havet to apy for every single little thing. I just paid for the darn Dumpster in advance yesterday, another $500!
Anyway, I really don't mind answering questions, I visit RCU once a day or so.

Thanks,
FT
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
RosieRN

sooo looking forward to the Monster Planes Fly-in. Four of us coming from southwest Fla. Is there a site with more info for just us lehman spectators? I heard promotions of the event on the radio here in Naple,sFlorida sounds like alot of fun. Any advice for first-timers? How long is the event? Where to be to have the clearest view? Anything anyone can share is appreciated.......Thanks, Rosie
ORIGINAL: FTiano

Good Morning,

The Spectator entry fee includes up close parking. The pilots are allowed to have their trailers right at their tents, but nmot the tow vehicles.
The event has an "Open Pit Policy" so spectators are welcome to run all over the place, EXCEPT
up to the actual Flight Line where the guys flying are standing. There are a few vendors coming as well. You know, it's the first year for this and it was quite an experiment, but it appears that it will grow, perhaps larger than Top Gun, only because of the interest and novolty in the larger airplanes. And remember, not every
airplane here is going to be a Monster. While we have several at around 100 pounds, the average is a 55 pound bird. From the number of emails I have received, that will change next year because the event has given those who were building larger models, but stoppped because of a lack of places to fly them, a renewed interest and has rekindled their spirit to work on them again.
We hope for the best. This event is run for the pilots as much as we can, and we appreciate them becasue without them, there is no Monster Planes.
It's just unfortunate that we havet to apy for every single little thing. I just paid for the darn Dumpster in advance yesterday, another $500!
Anyway, I really don't mind answering questions, I visit RCU once a day or so.

Thanks,
FT
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Jim Messer

mogman:

I've made arrangements for someone to stay with my wife during the day, so I can attend this rally. I sent in my entry fee yesterday. I'll be looking for a big Spacewalker. You look for a big 30% Stinson SR-10, and a 40% J-3 Cub. I won't get there until mid morning Friday, so will probably have to set up my sun shade pretty near the end of the flight line.

Here are the planes to look for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30865.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1047766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77214.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1047767  
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Sounds like it's going to be a good event. Setting up a carpool here to split the gas $$
Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 PM
bp30656

[:-]
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
mogley

Hello,

I'm planning on attending as a spectator. I will be arriving with a fith wheel late thursday (approx. 8 P.M.). Is there a person that I need to contact to pay my fees and are there directions were to go and set up the camper? Will there be an additional entry fee to the camping fee or is it like top gun were the overnight fee included the event?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.