Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Sig Sundancer Giant Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Sig Sundancer Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Sundancer Giant Scale

I just "aquired" a Sig Sundancer ARF... the BIG one... and I am a TOTAL newbie to gas engines... soo.... I am curious what would be a good .. reliable... economical ( not cheep... but I DO have a kid starting college in the fall ) Gas Motor to put in it.... I've seen some Chinese motors at the field that seem reliable... but I have nowhere or no idea where to start looking.... or what size I would need for that matter... here are the specs on the plane

Specifications:
Wing Span: 71.5 in 1816 mm
Wing Area: 1688 in² 108.90 dm²
Fuselage Length: 66 in 1676 mm
Flying Weight 17 - 18 lbs 7710 - 8165 g
Engine Required: 3.2 to 4.2 in³ (52 - 68 cm³) Gas
Radio Required: 4 channel, 8 servos

I am planning on HS-645 MG's all around for the servos.... but the motor... I am at a loss on....

any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks !!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 AM
FLYINMIKE-RCU
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Sundancer Giant Scale

I'd Go With A Zenoah G45. Simple, Reliable And They Last Forever.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
jbarnes

You can pick up used G62's for less than $300 and they are great engines. I have a G62 in my Aeromaster which is basically the same size.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Anything between 40cc and 60cc, the lighter the better. I think the best bet would be a DA50, if you can afford it. If you want to go cheaper, there is the DL50, CRRC, Thor, and as mentioned in other reply, Zenoah. If you go with one of the less expensive imports, you take your chances as to quality. There are threads here that talk about people having to fiddle with the timing of certain import engines to get it set correctly, etc. Zenoah is great quality at a fair price, but they are heavy with the magneto ignitions. If you are handy, you could buy a CH ignition kit and install it on a Zenoah and eliminate the magneto (I don't think Ralph is still doing this at RC Ignitions). Good luck, whatever you choose. Read as much as you can on threads here for those pearls of knowledge relating to the brand you choose.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

I have 4 Chinese engines, 3 of them took a little work to make them reliable. The DL 50 did not have any issues and is far above most imports availible today in terms of reliability, power, weight and cost! Mine was one of the first ones out and has been just great. The ones out now have beefer mounting tabs and mount system. Not to offend anyone or start a war here but I would't trade my DL 50 for 2 side carb engines of any brand! I think a DA or DL would work nice on this plane to avoid cutting up the cowl so much.

I was searching for info on this plane and found this thread. The price on this plane is great and I am amazed I can't find very much info on it. I am thinking of getting rid of a GP aeromaster I never assembled and getting this plane. Hamman
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM
plasticjoe

yea when I saw the price I was like WOW... had to get that one !! It's going to be a work in process.... Opened the box and looked at all the parts and it looks like it's made very nciely. Gonna be a winter project putting this one together
Old 11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

I was on the Cheif site this AM and thought it must be a mistake but went to Sigs site and sure enough the price was 249.00, The 48" one is 259.00. It makes no sense to me! Where did you get yours and how much was the shipping? I think I am going to order one this evening. I like the looks of it better than the GP Aeromaster, it is a pain to work on because the fuse is so narrow and a real cluster jam in behind the firewall. I couln't find out how to download the manual on Sigs site. Could you inform me the width of the cowl and firewall? Thanks, Hamman
Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Sig SunDancer with a G-62. Love it. The G-62 with a B&B muffler fits almost entirely inside the cowl. I dont have my cowl on yet but will when the engine get fully broke in. Its definately too much power but not so much that it scares me. I'm thinking about buying a backup SunDancer.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26235.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1077922  
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 AM
donoisten

HI, I too have this plane. I have been waiting on the money to buy an engine for it. But, I would like to know how much weight you guys have had to put in it, Did you have to had weight to the tail for the g62? to balance it out. I want the power, but I don't want to go with a light motor, then have to add a pound of lead in the nose to balance it. I would like to here what you guys have in your planes.

Thanks.
Don.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I didnt have to add any weight on the nose for mine, G62. Unfortunately I lost mine due to depth perception (hit a power pole near the end of the runway). The rudder servo was pull-pull up by the cockpit and two elevator servos were in the tail. Had to put the ignition battery and all under the fuel tank to keep the rf distance needed. A pretty standard setup. Rec and rec battery was under the cockpit. Lots of room in the fuse. I was planning on putting in a smoke system later. I believe I was around 17lbs or 20lbs, cant remember.
Edwin
Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 PM
TROUBLED 61sf
My Feedback: (1)

toc 3mm on my plane and love it
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
donoisten

Thanks, Now I got a good idea what to expect. So if I go to a lighter motor I will end up putting lead in it. That's OK, The g-62 is a lot cheaper then other more lighter motors out there.

Don
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

DL50 in mine and built per specs - no weight needed to balance. The DL50 flies this plane like a dream - you will love the plane. It is by far my favorite. When landing, once on final leave about two clicks (above idle) of throttle until touchdown and it will make you look like a pro.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
plasticjoe

I Flew mine today with a DLE55 on it and it was a tad tail heavy so I only flew it once.... safety 1st yanno.... but it was Sooo nice and had a ton of power. It was a little windy today but it glided in nice and smooth for a very gentle landing... it's an awesome plane... too bad SIG discontinued it it's a sweet flying plane !

Here's a couple pics I too before going to the field

Name:	Zw69369.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1257517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13759.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1257518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34964.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1257519  
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Glasair2
My Feedback: (93)

No ballast weight required on mine, fly's great with a Brison 3.2 52cc turning a 22x8, all digital Futaba's with a servo controlled choke and matchbox on the ailerons, nice Sunday flyer. Built 100% stock, no mods, balances out perfect.

m
Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
flygilmore

G-62 all the way!! I have one on a kit built Giant Aeromaster and another one going on a Giant Stinger kit. They are very strong, easy to start, and will last forever-you'll plant one before it wears out! Yes, they are the stock mag. version too.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

I have an Evolution 45 in mine no x-tra weight to balance flies awesome my favorite bi-plane

Name:	Wu61353.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1286455  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 AM
flynj1
My Feedback: (48)

I started out with a g62 on mine. Had a prop strick on take of and twisted the crank after a few flights. I then went to a fistplace 3.4 and love it. Great flying plane but I know of three of them that has lost the top wing in hard flying. I was lucky and only pulled the front mount out of mine and was able to land it with the wing still on the plane. I watched another blow off the top wing two days later and was able to land with minable damage. Herd of another wasnt so lucky. All three had the upgrade mounts. I still bought a 2nd plane after knowing about the problem just because I realy like to fly them but I make my own fr mount on the top wing. As for the two motors was g62 was great on the plane but the 3.4 first place is even better
Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Plasticjoe; I picked up a giant Sun Dancer about 3 months ago at a local H.S. Was amazed to still find one N.I.B. Have it powered with a DL-55. and a Xoar 22x8 wood prop. Got it from Valley View RC. Balanced perfectly with no added weight. Hoping to do the maiden the end of the week. The DL-55 is an incredible engine, just break it in properly. I know someone who has the same set-up as mine and it will hover at near half throttle. Mike (ACF)
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
donoisten

ORIGINAL: flynj1

I started out with a g62 on mine. Had a prop strick on take of and twisted the crank after a few flights. I then went to a fistplace 3.4 and love it. Great flying plane but I know of three of them that has lost the top wing in hard flying. I was lucky and only pulled the front mount out of mine and was able to land it with the wing still on the plane. I watched another blow off the top wing two days later and was able to land with minable damage. Herd of another wasnt so lucky. All three had the upgrade mounts. I still bought a 2nd plane after knowing about the problem just because I realy like to fly them but I make my own fr mount on the top wing. As for the two motors was g62 was great on the plane but the 3.4 first place is even better
Hi flynj1,
I have one of these planes still nib. I really like the plane. but, I'm concerned about the top wing mount. How have you made your front mount for yours? Because I fly my planes pretty hard. So I would like to see how you made yours stronger.

Thanks,
Don.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
flynj1
My Feedback: (48)

Don my fix was pretty easy. I used a 3/8 bolt ( you need 3/4" threaded and 3/4" none threaded section of bolt) and two jam nuts. I ran one jamnut down to the end off the threads. The first nut is the coller that goes to the bottom of the wing. I cut the unthreaded part off the same length as stock mount. Then ground it flat on both sides just like the stock mount. Because of the thicker thickness of the jam nut from the stock mount I had to cut about 1/8" off the top of the cabang. I then drilled the wood mount clear through the top of the wing and trimmed away the balsa for the top jam nut. Thread and use thin CA on threads in hard wood and put it all together. A small patch to the top of the wing and no more worries

Name:	Nl31172.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1308608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73316.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1308609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21610.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1308610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11821.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1308611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15204.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1308612  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
donoisten

ORIGINAL: flynj1

Don my fix was pretty easy. I used a 3/8 bolt ( you need 3/4'' threaded and 3/4'' none threaded section of bolt) and two jam nuts. I ran one jamnut down to the end off the threads. The first nut is the coller that goes to the bottom of the wing. I cut the unthreaded part off the same length as stock mount. Then ground it flat on both sides just like the stock mount. Because of the thicker thickness of the jam nut from the stock mount I had to cut about 1/8'' off the top of the cabang. I then drilled the wood mount clear through the top of the wing and trimmed away the balsa for the top jam nut. Thread and use thin CA on threads in hard wood and put it all together. A small patch to the top of the wing and no more worries
Hi flynj1,

Thank you very much. I can use your idea. But mine might be a little easier. I can do most of this fix before I put the wings together... I think anyway.

Don.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Did the maiden on my Sun Dancer today.....WOW is all I can say. Straight down the runway, lifted off in about 75', and climbed out beautifully. Got it to altitude and it was hands off flying without ANY trim adjustment. Did any aerobatic maneuver I could throw at it. Fly's inverted with only the slightest touch on down elev. Lands like a dream with 2 clicks of power. This is absolutely the best ARF I've ever built or flown. Wish SIG would bring it back out in production again, I'd buy another one just to have a spare. Mike
Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
cwhipple

Just bought newly assembled last night with G-62. Only need help from flynj1 to fab top wing fix. Plane looks great. Picked up a GB Pitts Monster 1.20 with 25cc gasser on deal too. Now I am sitting with three Bipes! The third is the Seagull with Saito 125 and showtime smoke. Haven't flown any of them and it is snowing outside!!!! [:'(]

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 AM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

Hi there , Great Post ! The best engine for the sundancer is the Zenoah G62. Mine has recently been thru a few Upgrades.. 1st coverted to Electronic ignition D&B ignition
Module...it works great ...then convert to 2.4 Gig - It was futaba(pcm) 9cap before. I Now have a Hitec Aurora 9(christmas Gift from wife!) - Great radio and have added 6 hitec 6-hs5645 digitals 4 ailerons + 2elevators) , 1 multiplex jumbo for the rudder and a airtronics digital for the throtle , li-ion batteries fromecos with a regulator.. 5200 ma also . I also got a sulivan skywriter pump which I used on channel 7 It uses the slider to regulate the smoke level. std B&B Muffler /W smoke tap Ive had this plane about 4 years and it has been great It has about a 50 flights on it . and has been at a few airshows. people really like the old bipes. An old oshkosh pilot swore he has seen it before and it was copied after a homebuilt bipe (he swore but hoo knows ? Maybe the sun was getting to him. anyway... I love this bipe . I also have a real nice Aeromaster that i fly a lot with a da 50 (that hauls butt) [X(] . It is also a great plane ... Thanks for the advice for the modification for the upper wing... I will Do it ... Nachman

Name:	Yw68961.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1375544  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.