Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub

Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 AM
morganflyboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub

Hi All
Thinking about building a 1/3 Scale Balsa USA Cub, can anyone out there that has built one of these Cubs kinda let me know what they thought of the kit. ( Pro's & Con's ) And the quality of the wood and hardware, and how were the directions and rolled plans. Are there any other 1/3 scale kits available out there.

Thanks Morgan
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 AM
mogman

Default RE: Balsa USA 1/3 scale Cub

You can't go wrong with a BUSA Cub. I built mine back in 1992..still going strong! Just build it the way they say. I used a G 62 and still have the original Airtronics Vanguard radio in it. Great airplane...especially on floats! The only change I would make is to put the aileron servos out in the wing rather than at the root and push rod and bellcrank method they say.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 PM
dhal22

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i see one that is over 25 yrs old at our field occasionally. i know that because the rudder fell of as it was taxing to the runway. the owner commented that the glue must have been good to hold up for 25 yrs. big graceful planes, especially at this size.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

THEY ARE GREAT FLYING PLANES. THEY LOOK EVEN BETTER WITH A TWIN IN THE NOSE. I WOULD DO EITHER ONE THE J3 OR THE SUPER CUB. IT IS A NICE BIG PLANE FOR A LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 AM
morganflyboy

Hi all, I am heading to Toledo next week. I e-mailed Balsa USA and they are going to have the 1/3 Scale Cub there, so I guess I will be picking it up there. I thought about a Twin Hanging out of the cowl like T Shark said. Everything I have seen so far is really big in Gas. ( 5.2 cu ) it calls for a ( 2 - 4.0 cu ) And the only thing that comes close to 50 cc in Nitro is the OS Pegasus 4 cylinder for $ 1400.00. I fly 3 Cubs now and they are all over powered but I do use throttle managment when flying, so I guess over powering the 1/3 scale a little would work fine. Will post again after I get home from the show.

Morgan
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Mr.Freeze

Hey guys I just picked up this Balsa Usa 1/3 Super Cub in trade for one of my boats, all I can say is holy wings Batman, and it just so happens I'm in the middle of a group build of the exact same plane. I was told by the previos owner he flew it with a g45 zen but recomended dropping a g62 in it. Here are some picks of both the build and my new old Cub, I'm the guy with the torch in hand.

New aquisition

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
morganflyboy

MR Freeze, just wondering how the quality of the kit was when you started building. Also are the plans and book pretty straight forward
on building. My last couple of 1/4 scale plans were something to be desired, you had to read between the lines several times. Good luck with the Cubs, they are a great flying plane. Can't wait to get started, after I get my Cub home from the Toledo show. Its ONE BIG AIRPLANE.

Morgan
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Mr.Freeze

Morgan as far as the book and plans go, the balsa usa kit is laid out well enough so I being a newbie to the stick building plane thing can understand it. The problem we have is my buddy has two kits one is a J-3 and the other was the Super Cub, both had been moved several times throughout his ownership of them and the boxs got intermingled. but when all is said and done we should should two great planes. I was the lucky one and got mine on trade so the work was already done for me, and I must say whoever put it together origanally did a very nice job indeed, right down to the fabric and pinking tape. All I need to do is get an engine for it and give it a paint job and it will be good as new.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
morganflyboy

Good luck with them both, They are a great airplane. And thanks for the info on the quality of the kit, as they say. Nothing flys like a CUB.

Morgan
Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM
morganflyboy

Hi all, Just got back from Toledo show on Saturday. I brought home the 1/3 Scale Balsa USA Cub and I also purchased the Robart 1/3 Scale landing gear for it. The folks at Balsa USA were the greatest, they took the time to answer all of my question I ask them. Both vendors had excellent show prices on the items I purchased. If you have the chance to attend the show, go for it. You won't be disappointed, I have already made plans to attend it again next year. I will post the building on the Cub when I start it next month. I have to finish up my Fleet Bipe first.

Morgan
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: mogman

You can't go wrong with a BUSA Cub. I built mine back in 1992..still going strong! Just build it the way they say. I used a G 62 and still have the original Airtronics Vanguard radio in it. Great airplane...especially on floats! The only change I would make is to put the aileron servos out in the wing rather than at the root and push rod and bellcrank method they say.

Cheers, Dave.

hi
I have a 1/3 w/m super cub on the way, aileron servos are out on the wing, I intend float flying but am concerned about the servos being exposed to the water ???? but you say this is the way to go ? please advise if I need to protect these servos ?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
mogman

make a hatch for the servo, mount the servo to the inside of the hatch with the servo arm protruding through a slot in the hatch. If you are still worried about water you can make a small shield to go over the arm and slot. I use a clear plastic bubble that was used to protect/display something in a store. Sometimes it takes a bit of looking in a store for the right size/shape of package.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
cavandish

I though about ironing three sides of a square of film over the top of the whole assembly, allowing the control rod to exit from the fourth un ironed side at the rear. it could easly be replaced after a day or two flying.

I like the bubble idear, I will be keeping my eye's open for somthing suitable in the garbage, I am looking at a clear plastic water bottle now that may suite !
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
hanko

Ken baker from Ridge machine in Ohio makes a beautiful 3.7 CI twin, which i had in my 1/3 cub. fantastic combo for the 1/3 busa cub
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
mobyal

Morgan
Check over on RC Scale Builder. There was a great build thread on the Balsa USA J-3 over there. Done bu a guy frpom Spain. Lots of good info.
Looking forward to following your build.
Al
Old 04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
morganflyboy

My flying buddy just informed about the site, lots of good info out there. I plan on joining the Scale builders site, thanks for the info.

Morgan
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
morganflyboy

Hey Hanko, is there an e-mail address for the Ken Baker you were talking about ?????????.

Thanks Morgan
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM
morganflyboy

Hey Freeze, just wondering how the 1/3 scales are coming along. I am starting my Cub next month.

Morgan
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
morganflyboy

Hi all
I just opened the box on my Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Cub since picking it up in Toledo, it is a small lumber yard in there with BIG Pieces of lumber. The book seems to be very clear on the directions. Will start building the wings with the scale ailerons this weekend after dinner, I will taking some photos during the course of the project. Be posting soon.

Morgan
Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Raymac
My Feedback: (1)

You may be interested in this build log for my 1/3 BUSA Super Cub.....
http://members.shaw.ca/mcdougall.imp...20page%201.htm
Make sure you use their landing gear kit and go for the scale flaps and ailerons. I used a Saito 300twin.....the sound is perfect.

good luck, Ray
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
wildbills21

I just happen to live in Menominee, Mi. Home of BUSA. Thier Cubs are the way to go. Here are a couple of pictures of my 1/3 scale. She had her maiden about 2 weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84625.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1189855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34538.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1189856  
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
morganflyboy

Very nice looking Cub WildBill, did you finish it in solartex covering. The Balsa USA crew at the booth in Toledo were very nice and answered every question I threw at them about there product. I am keeping it as scale as I can, I still haven't decided on what power plant to use yet,. I would like to have a kavan FK 50 for it, but thats like pulling teeth trying to fine them. What did you use for powering your 1/3 scale with. I want it to fly scale, but would also like to have a small reserve of power available if needed. Again , nice job on your CUB.

Morgan
Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
wildbills21

Morganflyboy,

Yes I did use solartex to cover the plane. I used the natural color and primed and painted it with automotive paint. The plane is way over-powered with a GT - 80. The plane is going to fly mainly off the water so there is really no such thing as too much power. On it's maiden the plane took off at 1/3 throttle and flew around at around 1/4 or less. Great flying plane. I spend a lot of time at BUSA and I would not buy anything else. The DH-4 they are working on is beautiful and will be at the Joe Nall.

Wild Bill
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
qldviking

I scratch built a 1/3 cub some years ago, powered with an OS-320 pegasus, was an awesome plane to fly and the os had plenty of power for it and sounded awesome. I have a buddy building the Balsa USA cub now, says its a straight forward built and the quality id good
Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
morganflyboy

WildBill
I am going with the Solartex Cub Yellow, Pinking tape with rib sticten also done in Solartex. I used there covering on my Fleet Concept Bipe, nice product to work with on the compound curve areas and the finish results look great. I also bought the Robart landing gear for it, at the Toledo show. I just received a CD from a friend which contains over
150 shots of a Piper Cub J 3, should be very useful for scale detail work.

Morgan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.