Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

CESSNA 185 35% TMMY COMPOSITE

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

CESSNA 185 35% TMMY COMPOSITE

Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CESSNA 185 35% TMMY COMPOSITE

CESSNA 185
35%
TMMY COMPOSITES
Wheels and Floats

Hi Fellows;

This is a new building thread for the up coming 35% CESSNA 185 from TMMY Scale Composite which is located in Thailand.

For those who are both new and for the fellow modelers joining in from the 35% C-182 thread, welcome.

A brief introduction for those who are new:

TMMY Scale Composite is operated by Tommy Tirawis. He specializes in fiberglass composite manufacturing of giant scale aircraft and supplies classic scale airplanes to the marketplace. The fiberglass composite planes are furnished as prefabricated kits .The wings, fuselage, horizontal stabilizer and vertical fin are all detachable which makes for easy storage and transportation to your flying field.

Further information can be found from his web page at http://www.tmmy.pantown.com

He presently fabricates a 35% C-182 that has generated a lot of interest and discussion over the last several months from modelers worldwide. This model has become very popular to those who enjoy the large-scale models and has been flown with great success.

(continued next post)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
cgcrc

Default RE: CESSNA 185 35% TMMY COMPOSITE

CESSNA 185
(Below comments taken from the C-182 thread to update new comers)

I have always been interested in having a 1/3rd or 35% Cessna 185 but haven't had the required amount of time for the drawings and of course the build. So, I had contacted Tommy from TMMY Composites a while ago and enquired regarding the possibility of him adding a 35% C-185 to his fleet. He was certainly very interested and subsequently took on the project. I have had many conversations and sent a "ton" of drawings and full size pictures of the aircraft over the e-mail re design, design changes, panel line detail, rivet detail etc. etc. etc.

So yes, there will be a 35 % Cessna 185 available from him shortly for those interested in the model or adding it to your C-182 fleet.
Tommy is completing the plugs now and then will move to the molds.

The changes in the mold from the C-182 will include, minor changes for the wing to now resemble C-185, minor changes in the stabilizer and elevator re the appearance of the C-185 and major changes to the fuselage, (cowling, windscreen, side windows, aft section of the fuselage, fin, rudder and of course landing gear etc.).

Oh yes, I am also a float flyer of full size and large size model aircraft over here in Canada, and yes my 35% C-185 will be outfitted with floats and yes I do have a builder here in Canada who will fabricate floats for the model for those also interested. The floats are approx. 7 feet in length.

(continued on next post)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
cgcrc

The following are some of the specs I got from the TMMY web page for the C-182. The C-185 will be similar but I won’t comment any further in fairness to Tommy until the model has been fabricated.

Specifications.
- Scale 1/3
- Wingspan 4.00 meters (157.5 inches)
- Wing area 1.097 square meters (1700 square inches)
- Weight range 20 - 25 kilograms (45-55 pounds) without floats
- Engine: 120 - 210 cubic centimeters (7.3-12.8 cubic inches) spark ignition gasoline engine

Attached are a few pics of the full size C-185 both on wheels and floats. Paint colours, and designs are as wide a range that you wish to go.

(continued next post)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10507.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1163646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78812.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1163647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10017.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1163648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98509.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1163649  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Had to send the previous posts in sections. Don't know if my document was to big but for what ever reason it wouldn't take.

Anyway, just a few more pics and in answer to some of your PM the floats will be fabricated by Sea Commander Floats. The company is situated in Powell River, British Columbia owned by Ryan Holm. Ryan and I have worked on a few different float projects over the years. All I can say he is a great fellow to help you work with your float projects and does fantastic work. My latest project that he completed was outfitting a 27% C-182 on amphibs. (removable wheels). "That's another thread".

The floats for the C-185 are approx. 84" in length and will follow the EDO appearance (flat top). These are straight floats for now however we have spoken about amphib. conversion. Alot of work re the conversion but does look great. I think it will all depend how many of us are willing to pursue the amphib. "float world" to make it worth his while. The 84" floats are huge and make my 66" floats for the C-182 look rather diminutive.

It will probably be a few weeks until Tommy sends me the updated build pics of the plugs.
When received, I will post them.

Attached are a few more full size pics of the C-185 and some basic 3 view drawings.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Xu62463.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1163699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60266.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1163700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89225.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1163701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26549.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1163702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88691.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1163703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aq98432.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1163704  
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool airplane,looking forward to your posts Randy.Our new club airfield has a river (St Mary's) right beside the landing strip so I can see a C-185 on floats would be right at home there.
Steve
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 AM
bignuts181

This is awsome news Randy, I wonder if this means that Tommy is also doing an all glass 4 meter Husky as it uses a similar wing with the dihederal crank, tail and cowl.....just add fuselage.

cheers Rossco.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 AM
flytosky

hi,
i'm one of the aeromodelling pilot who really fall in love with the cessna 185. i live in indonesia, and last year i found out a friend who can built me a cessna 185. the project was started at August 2008 and still on progress.

here's some picture of our cessna 185.

pre mastering.

building up the detail.

finished the tail wing.

my Cessna 185 will be look just like the MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) registration number PK-MCB (this plane still in service until now since mid 60's)

i hope to hear from you soon about your new cessna.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Welcome "flytosky" nice to see your model of the C-185. Looks great. Also looks like your friend has done a nice job with the molds on the fuselage and cowling. Certainly looks like a C-185. Nice detailing with the panel lines.

What size is the model and what is the wingspan.
What engine will you be using. Will it be flown on floats.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Regards
Randy
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

I have been in touch with Tommy who is pushing ahead with the plugs and molds for the model. I have asked him for an approx. time line of the mold completion and will pass this information on when I receive it.

In the mean time perhaps engine selection could be discussed for both wheel and float application.

WHEEL: Much like the C-182 you will probably find that a DA 150, 3W 157xiB2-F, 3W 157xiB2F-TS would be sufficient sized engines for the model. Again, not putting "the cart before the horse" but overall weight of the model should be close to the C-182. (20-25kg)

FLOAT; For those of you that have flown both large and small models on floats an increase of HP is required over wheel application. Personally I like lots of power. The main reason of course is the added weight and increased drag from the water. (especially glassy or smooth water take offs). The other reason is that I like the model to take off within a reasonable distance or within site in relation to where I am positioned. (The further the model is away the more difficult it is to determine model rotation). Lifting a model, especially a float plane to early will result in a wing tip drop and then roll due to insufficient air speed.
Once airborne, agreed, the added power is not needed and throttle is trimmed back.

I will be probably installing a larger sized 3W engine that will fit within the cowling and give me that added HP. I haven't made up my mind yet due to float weight, drag etc. Years ago I had the misfortune of tip stalling a float model on take off and don't want to experience that again, especially with this size model.

Anyway, food for thought, will chat about paint selection and prep work tomorrow evening.

Regards
Randy
Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
SteveD-RCU

I'll be going with the DA-150 with canisters turning a 30x12 2 blader Mejzliek,basically because its the one sitting on my shelf.I may also consider adding a STOL kit like Robertson puts out on the full scale.One could also consider the scale wingtip extensions mod they came out with.Lots to think about for sure Randy,also as I sure you know you can you can use your flaps to "pop off" when at a certain airspeed on the step.I've seen 185's do this in very short distances.A three postion flap switch would work well there I think.
Randy are you going to fly yours on wheels first or are you going straight to floats?I guess it depends on if your floats are ready to install right?Is Tommy going to include the hard points for thr float strut mounts etc in the fuse?I imagine he will.What about a dorsal fin?
Just some thoughts,,Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
cgcrc

Hi Steve;

Nice hear from you, thanks for your thoughts. I'm interested to see how much throttle some of the fellows are using on the C-182 for take off with the DA 150. Agreed, STOL kit and wing tip extentions are a good option. When you mentioned "pop off" it reminded me of a C-172 I had on floats with manual flaps. That's exactly what I used to do on take off on those hot muggy days with no wind.

I've sort of learned over the years if at all possible I like to fly the model on wheels first to check out the characteristics etc. before it goes on floats. Even if the floats are ready I will fly the C-185 on wheels first.

Re the hard points for the float struts. I have put some thought into this area. I haven't mentioned it to Tommy yet . I wanted him to finish the plug first, then I will discuss it with him. The front shouldn't be a problem i.e removable front LG. The rear float strut assembly wouldn't be that difficult providing the location is of course correct. Re the dorsal fin, depending on the time line from Tommy I may fabricate it myself, have done a few in the past, doesn't take long. The trick is to build it light and strong.

Attached is a pic I received from TOMMY a while ago during the fabrication of the fuse plug. The picture was photo shopped by my brother to give a "general" idea of what the fuse would look like. Remember this is photo enhanced, nothing permanent. No panel lines rivets etc. Also cowling had not been modified at this point.

Saty in touch.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Ur52450.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1165578  
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
flytosky

Hi cgcrc, thanks for the warm welcome.

my 185 wingspan is about 3 meters, fuselage length est. > 2 meters. weight about 15kg. will be powered by 50cc gas engine. some say that 50cc won't enough to take it airborne. is that true?
i'll get a floater next time after this plane finished. the floater way too expensive for me, so i have to saving up some money again.

my plane will be look like this (reuploading the last 2 pics that won't show up in my previous post)

anyone can inform me the estimated price for tommy's cessna 185? can we order it in custom livery ?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 AM
SteveD-RCU

Really nice 185 flytosky,those Misson Av guys really do good work over there and other places around the world.Custom livery?I believe so.Prices vary with shipping you have to contact Tommy.I think you'd want more than a 50cc engine.At least 65-75cc would be much better ..
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows:

First of all I must apologise to the folks at R/C Universe. I had posted a contact thread under the SEAPLANES forum regarding the C-185 35% build on this thread. My intent was to have those interested seaplane modelers join this thread regarding the (wheel/float) build. This is apparently a no,no and is considered "spamming". Sorry about that folks, I didn't know.

Back to the build.

I received an e-mail from Tommy today who indicates that the molds should be ready by mid May. That pretty well puts him on time for the build. As I mentioned to him, although I would like to have the model right now, take a little more time now detailing the plug and molds re panel lines, rivets etc.

Flytosky, thanks for sending the pictures of the MAF, C-185. Always like seeing pics of the aircraft regardless where it is in the world. I'll bet it sounds "sweet" taking off the water close to shore.
Regarding the weight of the aircraft and the 50cc engine. Is your model the first that has been fabricated by your friend or is there a prototype that has been made. Do you know for certain that the finished weight is approx. 15kg. How much HP does your 50cc engine produce. If it is a standard 50cc engine I would agree with Steve that the engine may be under powered, lots of thing to consider.

I wanted to discuss the different options of paint and paint design available from Tommy. My understanding is that you may purchase this model painted in primer gray, plain white or your choice of trim colours. It all depends how much you are willing to pay.

The advantage of primer I have found is if there are any areas need touching up (re shipping, modifications etc.) it is not that big of a deal to do. Of course the disadvantage is the time, space and equipment, oh yes, and mess to paint the model.

All white is a nice option providing the paint job is done well with no "orange peel" or overspray etc. (Harder for touch ups).

Your colour of choice and trim is also nice providing it comes out the way you want it.
After having said all of the above, I think I will order mine in all white and cross my fingers that the paint job is excellent. I have the space and equipment to spray the model, but not the time.

Shipping for you flytosky living in Indonesia will be alot better than coming to North America.

Will be in touch.

Regards
Randy

Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 AM
flytosky

Hi again,
thank you steve and randy for the suggestion. my plane will be the first prototype. they never make one before. so everything is still based on calculation.

anyway, how much does the Tommy's cessna cost? mine is Rp. 5.000.000 or US$ 420 for kit only included the spinner and lights / strobe. i haven't purchase an engine yet. but i think i'll get DL 50cc gas engine. is it a standard one?

here's the updated pics.

Name:	Zx70226.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1166308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59627.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1166309  
Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
cgcrc

Hi Flytosy;

The price for your 3 meter C-185 at $420.00US is pretty good. Don't quote me on the price for the TMMY model but the C-182 sells for $2750.00 US. I'm thinking the C-185 will probably be around the same price. I believe that includes colour and trim. It's a pretty complete model but of course without engine, radio etc.

Attached is a pic of similar fiberglass floats that will be used on the C-185 that I received from Sea Commander Floats.

Stay in touch.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Yv66212.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1166843  
Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
flytosky

whoa! $2750.00 US ???? it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for me. hahaha.
i love the float. how much it's price?

ps: my name is Irvan.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 AM
cgcrc

Hi Irvan;

Don't know exactly what the cost of the floats are yet. Will have a better idea when my float builder returns from his secondary business. Due to the size of the float and quality he puts into them they won't be cheap but I'm sure they will be reasonably priced. Some of the floats I have previously received from other manufacturers which are included with the ARF model have been way to thin and "flimsy". OK for a static appearance, not for an operational flying model. Especially of this size and expense.

While we are waiting for the model.
Attached are a few more pics of another variation or option for your C-185.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Tr49429.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1168501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17870.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1168502  
Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

One thing about not having the C-185 in my work shop is that I have a chance to "play" around with a few ideas of how I will set things up.
I was thinking of halfing the cowling such as on the full size aircraft. One reason was for easy access to the engine compartment the other was that I hope to have an exhaust system similar to the full size which is one stack, mid cowling on the right side. (All depends on engine selection).

An interesting idea that Aerowoks is using on there new Ultimate 20-300 is a hook and bolt method. See attached pics.
Actually a buddy of mine just purchased the model and I'm heading to his place tomorrow to see it.
Let me know your thoughts.

Also attached are a set of full size straight floats showing some of the brackets, spreader bar, struts and rigging.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Ki19582.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1172770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57172.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1172771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71977.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1172772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76078.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1172773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17503.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1172774  
Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

An update from Tommy, he is smoothing the plug for the fuselage and cowling. He will then add the detailing.
Hope to get some pics on the forum soon.
He also likes the arrangement of the split cowling as indicated in my previous post and will add this to the C-185 for easy access etc.

Regards
Randy

Old 04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Haven't chatted in a few days. Attached are some pics of my new amphib floats from Ryan at Sea Commander for my C-182 27%.
He did a great job as always.

(I should have had a better background for the pics, just about to get the brick work power washed etc. to remove excess mortar.)
Anyway
It gives an idea of what the C-185 35% floats will look like. So far the the C-185 float is made in the straight float version. Will do some researching for larger main gear assembly. ( I have Robarts on the 27% model). Hope to talk Ryan into an amphib. version for the C-185 float.

NOTE: These wheels are manually removed before water flying. They are not automatic at this point. My brother will be manufacturing the front swivel gear assembly.

By the way the C-185 floats are significantly larger than these.

Also attached is a full size pic of the side bubble window on a C-185. I asked Tommy if he could also add this to the model and indicated that he would.

Will be in touch.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Ol31480.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1177603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77650.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1177604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50716.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1177605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50790.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1177606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34704.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1177607  
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Just a quick update re the TMMY C-185 build.
I received an e-mail from Tommy who will be sending me some pics for the thread re the mold fabrication etc.

April was a slow month for him due to a holiday in Thailand and lack of staff for the build.
All employees are back at the factory and progressing with the molds.
Once received I will post the pics.

Regards
Randy
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Another quick update from Tommy. A few delays due to the long holiday in April and the recent protests in Thailand.
His camera is in for repairs , will get it fixed and get some pics asap.

All is going well on the build, looks like the fuselage and wings are ready for rivets, detailing and panel lines.
Fin is shaped as per C-185, rudder is also ready for detailing.

If all goes well he hopes to get the first model pulled from the mold by mid June.
Although I am very anxious and would like to have the model now, I did mention not to speed the build process to quickly and have the potential of missing components or detailing etc.
The quality, construction and paint should be as good as the C-182.

Will be in touch.

Regards
Randy
Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Well, here we go, got an update and pics from Tommy re the C-185 plugs.
All has gone very well, attached are a few pics of the plugs that he sent, although not fullyfinished, it gives an idea of model as we go ahead.

There was additional discussion I had with him as a result of the pics, (see some of my comments attached below).

A couple of quick questions asyou proceed with the build of the plug.
Cowling
Great job, looks like the full size, I know that you are still in the process of finishing it, will it be easier to leave the landing lights on the wing or havethem in the front of the cowling.
I know the early C-185's had the landing lights in the wing (late 60's and early 70's).
The later C-185's had the landing lights in the cowling.
(See attached pic of full size cowling)
Wings
What changes were made from the C-182 wing.
Could you take a pic of the wing and the rivet, panel line detail for the thread.
Front Windshield
Looks great, fits nicely to the fuselage etc.
Side Windows
Nice job lining them up with the wing etc. Can we still go ahead with the bubble pilot and passenger side windows.
(See attached pic) .
Rear Side Windows
Do you think the plug could be adjusted slightly to look like the rear window in the attached pic.
(straight bottom line to the rear then curve)?
Aft Section of the Fuselage
Greatjob, nice and smooth. Looks a little thick but it could be the way the picture was taken but also thereare no flaps, ailerons, rudder or stinger tail assembly whichwould make it look longer .
Could you take another pic when the panel lines and rivets are done for the thread.
Fin
Nice job, it sure is big like on the full size aircraft.
It could be the way the picture was taken, and also that the rudder was not attached. Could you take a look at the side pic that I sent you of the yellow and black on white C-185 fin and rudder assembly to see if the model will look like it.
Stabilizer
Could you send a pic of the stabilizer and elevator for the thread.

I figured now is the time to make any adjustments during the plug stage

Will keep you posted.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Gd93816.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1199590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80138.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1199591   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26022.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1199592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92344.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1199593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54059.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1199594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78744.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1199595  
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

Another quick update re the C-185 build. Tommy and I have been busy discussing the mods to the plugs prior to the fabrication of the molds.
I have sent additional drawings and pictures to him for reference.

1) A slight adjustment to the cowling for a more tapered appearance.
2) We have decided to go ahead with a later model of the 185. This will have the landing lights in the cowling rather than on the wing.
3) Final adjustments to the aft section of the fuse to ensure streamlined appearance, in keeping with the full size aircraft.
4) Then onto the panel lines and rivetes etc.

He will be sending pics of the fin and stabilizer shortly which I will post.

Will be in touch.

Regards
Randy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.