Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Zippi it looks like there is room to mount a servo directly to the firewall,is there?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Zippi it looks like there is room to mount a servo directly to the firewall,is there?
Old Fart,

Putting a throttle servo on the firewall of this plane is not going to happen. The only thing I have left to do is secure my vent line to the under side of the fuse, figure out how to operate the choke, and decide on where I want my fuel dot to be. Instead of glueing the windsheild on I use small button head screws because it was not a good fit. I had the Taylorcraft setting next to my Rascal 110 on the garage floor and it seems small but man does this plane feel heavy. Wing loaded is probably going to be higher than expected. Glad I have the DLE 30 on the business end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17302.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1292057  
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
leedees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zippi, securing the windshield with the screws actually looks more scale if you note the pics of the full scale Taylorcraft this one was modeled after. I used screws too as I noted earlier in the thread and was pleased at the outcome.

I am always surprised at the weight of this airplane whenever I pick it up. I think it will be a good flyer in our windy winter weather here.

I'll be looking forward to your flight review.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi zippi why not mount the servo where you get a good clean run at connections? the sevo does'nt do much load wise it's just a throttle arm.Couple of blobs of silicone just like pamela.

Wing loading is just what you need.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Hi zippi why not mount the servo where you get a good clean run at connections? the sevo does'nt do much load wise it's just a throttle arm.Couple of blobs of silicone just like pamela.

Wing loading is just what you need.
Old Fart,

I originally had the throttle linkage coming out of the firewall in line with the servo and it had a loop in the linkage coming back to the carb. Looked like a pretty good setup but it was a little springy and I thought it would give me trouble down the road. The set up I have now it a straight shot to the carb and then makes an "S" bend down to the servo. It was too much of a bend to put the servo in the stock position because of the short span from the firewall to the servo. The servo mounted on the floorboard works out well and it's not even noticeable in the cabin. There's more than one way to skin a cat and this was my way I guess . Wing loading is good if you just want to be a circle flyer I guess but I plan on flying this plane like you would see one flown at an air show. Wild and crazy . I'm headed to AutoZone today to see if they may have a CM6 (NGK 5812) plug in stock so I can fire this engine up today. Cold weather, my daughers wedding next saturday, and renovating the house is taking up a lot of my time right now but I would really love to get this plane in the air.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Rudolph Hart

You sound like you're busier than i am!,good luck with the engine run and a clear head on test flight day i hope

I favour a heavy and powerful fourstroke up front that requires the battery pack to be placed down the back on high wing aerobatic taildraggers.Loads both ends and with enough power applied you can spin these things around anyway you wish!..most fun you can have with your pants on.Good luck
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Zippi

Old Fart,

Gotta like those big four stokes, they sound good. I wanted to fire my engine up today but just could not locate a plug. I went to Autozone and O'Reilly Auto Parts but no luck. I have one coming tomorrow from Advance Auto Parts. Looks like my plane is a little on the heavy side as well. While checking the CG at 4 1/8" the tail wheel just slightly sags. I'll have to get some lead and add a little to the front.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Rudolph Hart

Bet it flies good just like that.Googled the specs for the dle30 and you've picked a good engine for it,man that thing will go unlimited vertical,have fun

My kit won't be here for a while yet and i'm anxious to fly it.My 182 gets here friday so will run it in and wait.Dunno if i should have spent all that money but scale looks got the best of me.I've got a fa220 in the shed that matches the dle30 spec wise although a bit heavier specially with a full tank of fuel.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Zippi

Old Fart,

That fa220 you have may just be the ticket. You need added weight up front anyway. I have my ignition pack up front next to the fuel tank and the onboard equipment pack is under the floor board at the front of the pilot set. I hate adding lead but sometines you can't avoid it.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Lotsofcrashes

Hey guys, been keeping up with your thread and you sure sound excited Zippi. I went and lifted the front end of my tcraft fuselage last night and was amazed at how heavy it is. It really seems a heavy plane. No wonder she comes down without power. 
Any chance of videoing your maiden Zippi !!!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: Lotsofcrashes

Hey guys, been keeping up with your thread and you sure sound excited Zippi. I went and lifted the front end of my tcraft fuselage last night and was amazed at how heavy it is. It really seems a heavy plane. No wonder she comes down without power.
Any chance of videoing your maiden Zippi !!!
I plan on shooting a video if I can get the plane finished and get out and fly. Went to the LHS after work and had to order some lead and also picked up my CM-6 plug for my DLE 30 from Advanced Auto Parts. With my daugther getting married this coming Saturday so it may be a couple weeks before I can get out. Hope the weather holds up.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
fabmaster911

Zippi, what are you going to use for a spinner?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

Zippi, what are you going to use for a spinner?
fabmaster911,

I'm using a 2 1/2" Tru Turn Spinner. The single bolt I have in my prop hub has a tapped hole for the spinner bolt. I had to do a lot of shaping to get it to fit properly.

Name:	Ig13643.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1294023  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Rudolph Hart

Sweet as mate
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
leedees

Zippi's daughter is getting married Saturday....sounds like a weak excuse not to fly that new Taylorcraft when we are all waiting on the report.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: leedees

Zippi's daughter is getting married Saturday....sounds like a weak excuse not to fly that new Taylorcraft when we are all waiting on the report.
. I told my daughter that we could have one hell of a wedding and a maiden flight at the field but that didn't go over very well . Were is all the other Taylorcrafts that were going together??? I hoping for a week from this Saturday to maiden the Taylorcraft and shoot some video. 5' off the deck inverted the full length of the runway, hows that .
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
gade600sdi

I'm in that 95% complete mode for a week, just haven't been on it should be finished this week and flyable weather permitting this weekend here in Pennsylvania. Its been pretty windy here and rainy though on the weekends. I put a new H9 twist 60 up this past weekend but I didnt like it too much felt out of control most of the time
Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
mobyal

Still waiting on my muffler, but even if I'd gotten it prpbably wouldn't have had it in the air yet. Too much else going on; first grandchild just arrived!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
KDawg

still waiting for Horizon to get more Zenoah 20ei in stock before mine is finished and ready for maiden

mobyalcongrats on the grandchild!! woohoo!!

zippicongrats on the daughter's wedding  hope you have enough money left to stay in the hobby after that one hell of a wedding,
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: KDawg

still waiting for Horizon to get more Zenoah 20ei in stock before mine is finished and ready for maiden

mobyalcongrats on the grandchild!! woohoo!!

zippicongrats on the daughter's wedding hope you have enough money left to stay in the hobby after that one hell of a wedding,
KDawg,

Yeah, I may be dragging the bottom of the well for little while after this wedding but winter time is coming on anyway. May have a early spring project.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
fabmaster911

Zippi, that is the same spinner I used. I'm surprised you are going to have to add weight. After all I have both of my tanks further back. It seems that some of these babies are just tail heavy.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Zippi

I had a little time tonight and I installed the plug, fuel dot, and secured the vent line to the bottom of the fuse. I am pleased to say that the stock muffler and the spark plug cap all fit inside the cowl without cutting anything. The plug cap it just barely touching the air scoop. Believe it or not.

Name:	Hf99486.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1294550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99020.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1294551  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

Zippi, that is the same spinner I used. I'm surprised you are going to have to add weight. After all I have both of my tanks further back. It seems that some of these babies are just tail heavy.
fabmaster911,

My engine is mounted on the stock stand-off's and I had the prop hub made to the proper length to clear the cowl. With everything fitting inside the cowl that shows how far back the engine is and probably why I'm going to have to add weight. I'd say it's a good trade off. The added weight for a clean looking cowl.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Zippi

Anybody have any pics of their choke setup ???
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM
yukonpete
My Feedback: (4)

Lotsofcrashes,

I'm sorry to hear of your crashed Taylorcraft. I crashed mine last week also but I was very lucky. My right wing sliced into a 12ft pine tree and only the wing was damaged. When I found her she was hanging in the tree via the wing. I forgot to zip tie my fuel line inside the tank and she slipped off and I ended up with a dead stick at low alt. I actually lost sight of my plane and was sure it would be destroyed. My club field is surrounded by dense forest so I was very lucky.

I set my plane up with a G20 and ended up adding my ignition battery to the fire wall as my plane was still tail heavy even with my gasser up front. I have about 10 flights on my Taylorcraft now. I find the G20 has lots of power for the plane. My flying season has now ended for the year as winter has arrived. I miss Australia and wish I was back home. Been working in Canada's for north for the last 4 years. Well the winter gives me time to fix my wing and get a truturn spinner thats been on order for about 4 weeks

Name:	Yv65905.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1294632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82678.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1294633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91875.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	1294634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91422.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1294635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69435.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1294636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy35924.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1294637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xa54894.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1294638  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.