Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

BUD NOSEN 1/4 scale CITABRIA BUILD COMPLETION

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

BUD NOSEN 1/4 scale CITABRIA BUILD COMPLETION

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:52 AM
tmark65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to provoke ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170128_190247_2.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2198603  
Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM
tmark65

I think we can start dreaming .....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_224551.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2200109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_224551_2.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2200110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_224619.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2200111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_224627.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2200112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_224637.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	2200113  
Old 02-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Lancaster 52
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!
If you know anyone looking for the kit I have one available for $175.00 picked up.
I'm in Lancaster, Pa. 17569.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 AM
GravyRobber

Wow, awesome looking build! Do you mind me asking where you got the short kit? I have a set of plans, but I can't find a short kit anywhere. Also, if you felt so inclined to share your wing design, I know I, and maybe a few others, would be willing to pay you for the plans/kit for that. I'm hoping to make mine a winter project starting this fall.

Big mod I'd like to do is a 3-piece wing with a straight through wing tube design like a modern 3D plane. The problem is that presents an issue for the dihedral.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
NickHawk
My Feedback: (7)

Hello GravyRobber

The modification is not a short kit we designed with Tmark the wing from the beginning and it has a dihedral of 2,5 degrees per wing. The central part is just like the Nosen original and stays bolted on the fuse. We plan to produce a short kit of the nosen model with the improved wing design after we finish the flight tests. We also changed the cowl with the more squarish one of the decathlon and use more lite ply on the fuse as several people would like to use larger engines for aerobatics and glider towing. I am sure everything will be ready by the end of September keep an eye here and then we can talk about producing a small number of models for friends
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM
GravyRobber

Wow, sounds promising. I'll definitely be checking back periodically.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM
NickHawk
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by GravyRobber
Wow, sounds promising. I'll definitely be checking back periodically.
The most expensive and difficult part to obtain are the carbon main spars. They are a 22mm external diameter and 20 mm internal. Any ideas? Suppliers? We bought ours in Germany the cost for the Main spars leading edge and secondary spar is almost 100 euros per model......
Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 AM
GravyRobber

I've gotten carbon rods from ebay sellers before, but nothing that large. Might be worth looking into however.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Andres861

Originally Posted by royalhfarms
Phil,
I got your e-mail on the Nosen Citabria short kit for your non computer using friend. However, I was purging old messages so that i had room to down load pictures I wanted to send you. You guessed it, I deleted your email and have no way to get a hold of you. This thread is where you saw my email address, so I am taking a stab in the dark. Maybe you will read this and send me another email. [email protected] Sorry about throwing your message in the trash (didn`t mean it).

Brian
Hello Brian I have sent you an email. Hello to you all. New RCU member here, I have been keeping track of this build for some time now and am hoping to start building soon!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 PM
savagerobbin

THANKS FOR THE HELP on THE CITABRIA.I,ll get it done

Last edited by savagerobbin; 12-13-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to EBAY, Bud Nosen airplanes. There are always plans for the Citabria and other planes for about 20 dollars.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 PM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

I think I bought my cowl at Fiberglass Specialties but that was about 15 years ago if I remember correctly.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
sebo

It will probably work....thought you were looking for plans...........the kit did not come with a cowl. It was built up from balsa...the fiber glass cowl is a great asset.
I built my Aeronca from the plans and used a glass cowl and it fits great. I have a thread on that build in RC Universe. SEBO
The aeronca build should be very similar to your citabria build.

Last edited by sebo; 12-11-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 AM
Cientifico

go to this website
Outerzone
Old 12-12-2017, 02:25 PM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

FYI Fiberglass specialties still makes glass cowl.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Originally Posted by NickHawk
Hello GravyRobber

The modification is not a short kit we designed with Tmark the wing from the beginning and it has a dihedral of 2,5 degrees per wing. The central part is just like the Nosen original and stays bolted on the fuse. We plan to produce a short kit of the nosen model with the improved wing design after we finish the flight tests. We also changed the cowl with the more squarish one of the decathlon and use more lite ply on the fuse as several people would like to use larger engines for aerobatics and glider towing. I am sure everything will be ready by the end of September keep an eye here and then we can talk about producing a small number of models for friends
Hello NickHawk,
I was hoping you can share more info about your flight testing and availability of the short kit. Thank you for any update!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dragging this thread out of the deep depths of the archives... I have read this ENTIRE thread before posting. I couldn't find the answer so hoping someone can help.

I recently started framing a 105" Bud Nosen Citabria. I've decided to do a 7KCAB model, as this will not have flaps. I'm planning to build a 3-piece wing with a center section about 33 inches wide. Then I'll use a 3/4" tube to plug in a 36 inch wing panel on each side.

I'm using a DLE35 rear exhaust because it fits in the cowl and the exhaust tubes go straight out the back. I've got some questions for the builders who've used gas engines.

What did you do to strengthen the fuselage?

Did you sheet it? If so.. with what? Did you use any different materials or woods to add strength? Gussets? Where? What kind of material?

I'm considering building the entire stick structure of the fuselage with spruce. Same 1/4"x1/4" size but spruce for the main box instead of the supplied balsa.

I'm also considering keeping with the balsa sticks but sheeting the entire side of the fuselage... from the firewall to the back of the wing saddle.... with 1/32" or 1/16" birch plywood. I would not use the big balsa sheets included for the under chin and hood area in front if the wind screen. Wrap it all in thin plywood. Dumb? Too heavy? How much more would it weigh vs those same areas fully sheeted in balsa per plans?

I've re-drawn the wing as much as I need too. I'll be building on an old school Adjust-o-jig so I only need the plans for reference during the main part of the framing.

I've already cut a new firewall from 3/8" hard plywood. I've also recut the next 2 formers back with lite ply and laminated them to the originals.

I've already lengthened the front of the fuselage 1.5 inches in front of the wind screen. This is because past experience has taught me that Citabrias and Decathlons and some Cubs are tail heavy buggers.

I'm just stuck on how to build the fuselage. I don't want to over build it and end up with a flying lumber yard that weighs 17 or 18 lbs. My target weight is 14lbs or less. Major structural weight needs to be under the wing or in front of it.

I'll sheet the tail and add hard points for the flying wires.

On the wing, I'll be sheeting a little more of the center... 1 additional bay on each side. I'll also sheet the trailing edge at the center.. from trailing edge up to the rear spar.

All spars are being replaced with same size spruce material.

My center section is 33 inches wide. I'm going to cut 1 solid dihedral brace from 1/4" hard plywood and epoxy it to the front of the main spar. It will be 33 inches long. It will fit in directly behind W18 and will fill that space perfectly with no slop. I'm also going to cut a 24 inch rear dihedral brace from 1/8" hard plywood and glue that to the front of the spar assembly.

I'll attach the 36 inch wing panels with 3/4" wing tubes that measure 24 inches in length. Each tube will sit 12 inches into the center section and 12 inches into the wing panel.

I already had some heavy gear made at TNT Landing Gear. It's aluminum and stout and I don't care that it's not spring steel (scale).

Looking for input.

Last edited by Rcpilot; 10-08-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:20 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

How far did you get on this Citabria project?
Old 01-31-2021, 08:53 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
How far did you get on this Citabria project?
I decided to build a couple other things before I build the Citabria. I did cut/copy a lot of the parts in the kit to make one for myself and one for a buddy and leave the factory kit still mostly intact. I had to remove a lot of pieces from the die cut panels to copy them. But original parts went back in the box after being copied.

I'm building a 125% Kadet Senior for a gasoline engine. 98" wing that is 3 pieces. Made for a 25-30cc gasoline engine. Probably 13-14 lbs when it's RTF

I'm also building an Ultra Stick fuselage and tail feathers for an 80" Ultra Stick wing that was gifted to me. Wing is used but in great shape. I've got the tail covered. Fuselage is 99% built. Need to cover it, mount the radio gear and waiting for the landing gear. Should be flying in a couple weeks.

After that, a Dynaflite Chipmunk, then maybe 2 Nosen Citabrias.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:55 PM
sebo

You are an ambitious person. Keep at it but be sure you don't burn yourself out. I'm 78 now and starting to get that burn out. Only one plane at a time and probably will stick to one or 2 a year until I go to that big flying field in the sky where conditions are always perfect.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:21 AM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

I have been reading all the posts and threads I can find about the Nosen Citabria and Champ. One day this spring I will be more ready to maiden my new Champ. I hope you get the pair of them built, its a great project. I will throw a couple thoughts out should they help you at all in the future. I built mine according to plans the best I could but did a few mods to try to make it safer. I even used the music wire landing gear. Mine is covered with plastic film, not cloth / paint in an attempt to keep weight down. I put a DLE 20 on it, did not extend fuselage, sheet the sides with ply, and no sheeting at all on the tail. Servos are up front and using pushrods to keep servo weight out of tail. I did install 2 wings struts per side, mine plans only showed a single. I stayed with 1/4 inch firewall also. Given all that.. I still need to add switch harness, battery, and wiring up to the wing servos, and receiver. I weighed it first time a day ago. 13 3/4 pound as it sets. I suspect I will be around 15 and hope not to have to add too much more to balance. Reading through your mods and hundreds of other posts on builds I would think your weight is going to be considerably more. It will certainly be nice but don't let total weight be a dismay... keep that tail light and build on! I love the Kadet also. I been flying one for over 30 years, they are great!