Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

giant lipo question :)

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

giant lipo question :)

Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 PM
pabrokenprop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giant lipo question :)

UGH!!! i want to go lipo for RX power but i would like to know what is the max "C" rating the lipo can have???
Im flying a 55cc size plane with 8 (high voltage) servos on control surfaces and a 6v servo on throttle wich i plan
to use a spektrum or JR dual channel regulator on.

if anybody can give me advice on this or point me to a forum that i have missed i would be very greatful!!

THANKS!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: giant lipo question :)

The term "C" is the amount of current a battery can supply in an hour. It stands for "Capacity".

A 2000 maH battery has a C rating of 2000 milliamp hours or 2 amp hours. It should be able to supply 2 amps continuously for an hour, or thereabouts.

A 5000 maH battery has a C rating of 5 amp hours. It can theoretically supply 5 amps out for an hour.

But you may be able to draw 10C or 20C or even higher out of the battery, depending on it's discharge rating.

Of course the more current you ask it to supply, the shorter the time it can supply it.

All this data should be available from the supplier of the battery you chose.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pabrokenprop

UGH!!! i want to go lipo for RX power but i would like to know what is the max ''C'' rating the lipo can have???
Im flying a 55cc size plane with 8 (high voltage) servos on control surfaces and a 6v servo on throttle wich i plan
to use a spektrum or JR dual channel regulator on.

if anybody can give me advice on this or point me to a forum that i have missed i would be very greatful!!

THANKS!!
The answer to your problem isn't LiPo's and regulators, it's A123 batteries with no regulators.....

Do a few searches and I think there's even a forum dedicated to them.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Funny thing, I was going to mention that in my response, but I thought the original poster had his heart set on LiPo's.

I have been using A123's for more than a year with no problems. I do have to use a 5 volt regulator when I use them on electronic ignitions but that's all.

I would recommend them to anyone wanting a relatively bullet-proof battery system.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Having messed with different voltages on my Moki Radial ignition system I've found that I can plug in my A123 6.6v battery directly with no regulator and it performs flawlessly.
Sorry about going off topic but I jump up and down with glee (not really) when I hear others laud A123s now that I've
gone to A123 for all my airborne equipment. Mitch
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

A 2500Mah LiPo thats rated at "just" 5C can safely supply 12.5 amps, likely about twice as much as you will ever need for an airbourne reciever installation.