Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

*Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

*Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

I received my S2 Sport Cub today and the box was heavy, double boxed, & masonite on all 4 side. It was raining a little and the UPS guy said he didn't know what he would have done with the hugh box if I wouldn't have been there. While removing all the parts from the box it was obvious that the box was packed very well with all the bags tapped to something to keep everything from moving around. My custom pitts style muffler and the custom spinner was inside the box as well. I haven't had a chance to really go over the plane but at first glance it looks really well built. I did fit the wings on the wing tube and to the fuse and the fit is nice and snug. The cowlings fit, color, and quality are outstanding. The custom spinner is very nice and the red matches the cowl very good. The covering looks pretty good except for some wrinkles on the ailerons and flaps. I can not remember the last time I saw hardware this good. This plane is done up very well with quality in mind. I have my new DLE 55 on the test stand where I have been tweaking the needles. I'm working a lot of overtime so the build will probably go a little slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19623.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1439487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37187.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1439488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66146.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1439489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34664.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1439490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf49265.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1439491  
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: *Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

Subcribed!
Beautiful ship! It's about time someone came out with a high wing Piper that isn't a J3!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM
CDB-RAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello

yes really nice one but need a boxer engines can u tell us how much space length in the cow and i don t know why nobody came out with a big aviat husky i m sure this one can be a winner
thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: CDB-RAE

hello

yes really nice one but need a boxer engines can u tell us how much space length in the cow and i don t know why nobody came out with a big aviat husky i m sure this one can be a winner
thanks
The cowl is about 8 1/2" wide and 7 3/4" from the firewall to the spinner back plate. While talking with Jeff Oaks at Aeroworks he said that Mark Dennis was 3D'ing the cub with a DA 50 so my DLE 55 should work out great.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Ranfred Radius

ORIGINAL: CDB-RAE

hello

thanks
You shoulda grabbed one of these before they were discontinued!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1
Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
CDB-RAE

hello

thanks everyone definitely i need one.Found a big one but can t get any mail answer maybe they are out of business.
140 inch perfect http://www.mueller-modellbau.de/ywba...X7LD7616RBERDE
thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Ranfred Radius

Looks more like a PA18 with square tips to me..
Old 05-21-2010, 03:27 PM
CDB-RAE

euh yes and it s call a husky no ???
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Zippi

I went over the entire fuse and tightend the covering up. Didn't see any issues at this point. I also got the cub on it's front legs tonight and everything fit well. The manual had you use blue loctite on the bolts that hold the landing gear mount and the strut mount to the fuse but did not tell you to use blue loctite on the bolts that had the nylon nuts that hold everything else together. I always do because I've had them back off with the vibration of a gasser. Other than that all went well for 1 1/2 hours worth of work.

Name:	Us54175.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1440003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18854.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1440004  
Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Zippi

This morning I had a chance to work on the cub for a little while. I hit the wing panel with my heat gun and iron to tighen everything up. The ailerons and flaps had some pretty good size wrinkles. I installed the Airtonics 94851 servos in the wing panel for the aileron and flap and since I didn't have any 18" extenions as the manual suggest I use some 24" that I had on hand. The 24" extenions only stuck out of the root of the wing panel by 2". It's a good thing I had 24" extenions as the 18" that were suggested would have been to short. The difference is the Hitec servos have a 13" lead coming off the servo were as the Airtronic servos lead is only 10". The manual does not tell you to apply thin CA to the screw holes for the servos. This is a given.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
raptorflyr
My Feedback: (20)

Glad to see another red cub in the works.

I've got one on my bench as well. The build is going very well. I am at the motor mount stage. I found only one issue with mine so far in that the centerlines on the firewall didn't quite center the engine in the cowl. It was slightly low. I am not sure if this was a unique issue to my kit, but I found I had the raise the motor about 1/8" above the centerlines to center it in the cowl.

Other than that, I am overall impressed with the quality of the kit. I love the red scheme because it doesn't look like every other cub out there. The hardware is great and I've used it all so far.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: raptorflyr

Glad to see another red cub in the works.

I've got one on my bench as well. The build is going very well. I am at the motor mount stage. I found only one issue with mine so far in that the centerlines on the firewall didn't quite center the engine in the cowl. It was slightly low. I am not sure if this was a unique issue to my kit, but I found I had the raise the motor about 1/8'' above the centerlines to center it in the cowl.

Other than that, I am overall impressed with the quality of the kit. I love the red scheme because it doesn't look like every other cub out there. The hardware is great and I've used it all so far.
You are a lot futher along than I am. To much work and not enough play. You are right about the red plus the cowl cheeks make it look so much different. I to am using all the hardware that was supplied. The main funtional gear is great and once everything is wore in it should stick to the ground nice on landings. What engine are you putting on the business end?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Zippi

raptorflyr,

I forgot to ask. Did you measure the center line on the firewall vertically and is it marked wrong? I haven't got that far but I will check mine when I get home this afternoon. I have not received the last addendium parts yet for the wing struts.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
raptorflyr

I drilled the mounting holes per the template and mounted the cowl before I found the problem. I wound up plugging the original holes and measuring 1/8" above the centerline marked on the firewall, which worked out perfect. The only issue I had was with the horizontal line.. The vertical was perfect.

I'm going with a DA-50 on mine with the AW custom pitts muffler. Using the new Spektrum Hi-Torque servos all the way around with Fromeco switches and batts and one of the new JR regulators with fan.

I too am waiting on the addendum parts, but was advised they shipped yesterday to me. I think I should be "in the air" by next weekend if all goes as planned.

I am amazed at how fast the build is going!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Zippi

raptorflyr,

I contacted Aero-Works about the engine alignment to the cowl and they were pretty confedent that the alignment is ok. Like you said, it may have been a unique issue. I got my rudder epoxied on to the fuse tonight and that was about it. Looks like the grass needs to be cut so I guess I better do that tomorrow night. I'm not getting much done but a little at a time. My DLE 55 is still on my test stand so I guess I need to see about pulling it off of there and getting it on the firewall. I need to see what length 5X8mm bolts I'll need to secure the stand-offs to the firewall. What length bolts are needed to go through the firewall into the stand-offs?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
raptorflyr

I believe I went with 2.5" Bolts. I wound up also using two of the spacers that came with the kit on each standoff. I've got both a DA and DL. If I remember correctly, the DA came with 2.5" stand offs and the DL was 2.75 or 3". So your situation might be a little different than mine.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Zippi

raptorflyr,

You and I must be the only ones building this S2 Sport Cub. There is very little talk about it in the forum I go to.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Guys - I'm watching to see what you guys think of the plane. I'm just about ready to make the order, but have a few other projects currently being finished up. I just got done putting together the AW P-51 with the DA50 in it. Kind of the same thing, not a lot of talk on the forums about it for some reason.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Zippi

GPutt33,

If you have had and Aero-Works plane before then you know the quality you be getting. I have had no issues with the plane so far. There was an addendium and some of the new parts were in the box when it arrive and the others I'm still waiting on. All the hardware is top notch. I would have liked to seen a servo in the rear for the rudder for a direct connection as I'm not a big fan of the pull-pull systems. I'll deal with it and it will be fine.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Zippi

I went out in the garage this morning and made a little headway on the cub. I got the rudder and elevator servos installed, the stab and all the flying wires attached, and the tailwheel assy in place. While installing one of the 6-32 bolts that goes through the "L" bracket of the stab, I had it snap off. As I was running it in it was a little snug but nothing that would have made me stop. I was able to drill out the bolt and drill and re-tap the hole with 6-32 threads. I got lucky. There was another issue. One of the screw heads for the steerable tiller harm hits the tail wheel spring arm. I used a rat tail file and made a little notch so the screw head would pass freely. Looking pretty good at this point. Next I'll be mounting the DLE 55.

Name:	Pn37178.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1445121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22709.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1445122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40788.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1445123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15375.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1445124  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
roknHS

The reason we're all on the sidelines watching is because we're still in shock looking at the price[:'(]............$895 plus shipping........... and I'm guessing that is the better part of a hundred dollar bill for most of us. Lets just call it a $1000 bucks for a 1/4 scale cub ARF kit. If you are buying new components to get this flying, you can have $1800 - $2000 bucks invested. Shaaazam..............
I don't care how good the quality is or how fancy the hardware package is, that's a very high price for a cub. I have a hard time believeing that this cub is worth $400 dollars more than a Hangar 9 quarter scale cub........or a Dave Patrick cub for that matter.
Not to pee on your fire.......if you can feel good about paying $1000 for this cub, good for you. You are in a small minority of folks that have a healthy (very healthy) airplane fund. I envy you. It would be nice to have that kind of pocket change.
Aeroworks won't be selling these like hotcakes so, you fellas ought to get used to that lonely feeling.
All that being said, I like the looks of the plane and if it was in the $600 dollar range where I believe it should be, a lot more of us would be feeling the LOVE.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Zippi

roknhs,

Let's just say I got a good deal on this plane. I got the fuel tank put together and it came with fuel line barbs which I have never needed before but since they came with the ARF I used them. I got the DLE 55 mounted as well and ran into a couple snags. The prop shaft coming out of the cowl is off by about 1/4". The custom pitts muffler exhaust tube also hits the bottom of the fuse. The exhaust is no big deal but the engine alignment to the cowl is. The manual calls for the distance from the firewall to the end of the prop hub to be 7 7/8" and with the stock stand-offs it came out perfect, except for the location of the prop shaft in the cowl opening.

Name:	Jh17255.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1445789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59136.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1445790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88358.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1445791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47590.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1445792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88830.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1445793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44630.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1445794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo15795.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1445795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55846.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1445796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77402.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1445797  
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
raptorflyr

Zippi,

Sorry to see you had the same cowl alignment issue I did. I simply filled the holes and drilled them a little higher. I found mine to be about 1/8" off. I'm pretty much done with mine now. Just waiting for the muffler to arrive and then plan to maiden the aircraft in a couple of weeks.

ROKHNS,

I agree the cost might seem high. However, everyone keeps comparing this plane to a 1/4 scale cub. This aircraft is larger than 1/4 scale. It is closer to 27% based on the wingspan of the original airplane. Also, this airplane has a lot more prefabrication than the H9 Cub. For example, the hinges are installed and glued. It is also a super cub, so it has flaps. My time is precious, so paying a little more for an aircraft that is almost ready to go is important to me. That being said, I think a fair price should be somewhere in between the H9 Cub and where it currently is.

I noticed AW recently put their mustang on sale for $200 less than the previous price (I also thought that plane was priced higher than it should be). Maybe the Cub will follow suit once the "newness" wears off.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Zippi

raptorflyr,

Problem solved. I added two 1/16" fender washer between the wood block and the stand-offs on the bottom and now the alignment is spot on. This also cured the exhaust tube from hitting the fuse. As I was in the process of doing this a fellow from Aeroworks called to see how things are going. That is another good thing about Aeroworks, they stand behind their product and call any time there is an issue. I can't seem to find any 5mm X 50mm bolts. I'm using some that I had but are way to long. I don't want to use all those washer for the final setup. The maiden in two weeks. Man that sounds exciting. Get some video. I don't think I'll have mine done in two weeks. Have to do some traveling.

Name:	Sq47402.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1446475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62030.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1446476  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

I'm still trying to figure out why a 1/4 scale cub was designed around a 50cc engine. Blows my mind. My 1/4 scale PA-18 (DP models) is way over powered with a freaking 1.20 4 stroke as well as my 1/4 J-3 and 1/4 Champ. But then again, we live in the age that "if it will not hover, then its under powered". It is a pretty good looking fun scale S-2 though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.