RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   JADO ROCKETS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11569365-jado-rockets.html)

handyman 07-14-2013 02:06 PM

JADO ROCKETS

thinking about installing a pair on a plane i am building.....i fig maybe a 10sec burn.......yes mostly for looks,,,,,,,has any one tryed it or seen it............

denoferth 07-14-2013 10:10 PM

RE: JADO ROCKETS

JATO is an acronym for jet assisted take off

handyman 07-15-2013 04:48 AM

i know what it means.i was asking if any one has tryed to install them or something like it..............

a70eliminator 07-15-2013 05:25 AM

Sounds cool, but just keep it on your own property because explosive devices I'm pretty sure aren't cuth at any of the AMA fields.
I've tried all kinds of stuff at my uncles farm that would have got me kicked out of the club in a hearbeat, don't take this as a bashing, I would personally like to see you try one, you just have to keep a low profile with it.

Zeeb 07-15-2013 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: handyman

i know what it means.i was asking if any one has tryed to install them or something like it..............
I THINK someone was just trying to point out that the acronym suggested by your title is "JATO" not "JADO".....

For what it's worth I think what you actually want is referred to as "RATO" or Rocket-assisted Takeoff but I'm not sure as both terms seem to be used interchangably with "JATO" being the more common. Anybody know if the two terms are actually referring to the same thing?

Twin_Flyer 07-15-2013 10:49 AM

Google would be your friend with this. i have seen (on the web and youtube) Estes rockets strapped to planes.

if its the effect your going for that's a start.

Bill S.

Yank II 07-15-2013 10:55 AM

Jato rockets burn, not blow up. They are within the rules of the AMA. Some clubs may have there own rules, so it's best to check.
Jim

Rafael23cc 07-15-2013 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Yank II

Jato rockets burn, not blow up. They are within the rules of the AMA. Some clubs may have there own rules, so it's best to check.
Jim
Check your AMA manual again, it is very specific about "burning". At least it was, the last time I checked.

Otherwise, why go for just the effect? (notice these videos were NOT filmed in the US)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FzxMS5MFBI[/youtube]

BarracudaHockey 07-15-2013 11:28 AM

You can use up to G size model rocket engines provided they stay attached to the aircraft.

You can't launch rockets from a model.

To be clear, that's what the AMA safety code says, which is not a law, just a guideline to remain compliant with insurance and common sense safety practices.

Club rules and local ordinances may be more restrictive.

2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all man carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D-See and Avoid Guidance.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport, without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Aircraft program. (AMA Document 520-A)
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft.
(This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors).
(g) Not operate aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts except for helicopters operated under the provisions of AMA Document #555.
(h) Not operate model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or while using any drug which could adversely affect the pilot’s ability to safely control
the model.
(i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices which explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that
creates a hazard to persons or property.
Exceptions:
 Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets
may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
 Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Program
Document (AMA Document #718).

WhiteRook 07-15-2013 01:36 PM

it was used by the british on the hawker sea furys , and called RATOG ( rocket assisted take off) , BUT was discoed , because i think it was to
unstable .

RAMFlyer 07-15-2013 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up until 2010, when they ran out of the rockets, the Blue Angels support C-130 (Fat Albert) used JATO as part of the show!! Quite spectacular to see a C-130 launch at that high an AOA..."The first Jet-Assisted Take-Off (JATO) performance by the Blue Angels' C-130, affectionately known as “Fat Albert”, took place at NAS Pensacola, FL in November of 1975. Eight solid fuel JATO rocket bottles, each producing 1,000 pounds of thrust, helped propel Fat Albert skyward and captivated millions of spectators each year. These JATO bottles were produced in the Vietnam era to help aircraft take off from short, unimproved runways at heavy weights. The last known stockpile of JATO bottles were expended during the Blue Angels' 2009 show season and ended with the last JATO performance for Fat Albert at the NAS Pensacola, FL Air Show in November of 2009."

STUKA BARRY 07-15-2013 04:40 PM

Manned rocket powered flight was used in WWII on the ME-163 Comet designed by Willie Messerschmitt and test flown by Rudy Opitz . I've seen quite a few ME-163's fly at Warbirds Over Delaware with great success. The models were 1/5 scale, but not sure what size rocket engines were used, but the planes were airborne in no time. Also the Infamous Mac Hodges uses rocket power to fly his X-1 dropped from the 130lbs. B-29 Fertile Myrtle.