RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Scale 120 Inch Cessna 206 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11597063-scale-120-inch-cessna-206-a.html)

RonTins 04-02-2014 04:28 PM

Scale 120 Inch Cessna 206

I just wish someone would come out with a scale Cessna 206. Its a shame that I can’t seem to find a home for my OS 320-FF Pegasus Four Stroke motor. So far I’m still on the fence as to whether I contract a professional builder craft one close to scale like the Austars Cessna 182 with doors and concealed linkages to operate the control surfaces using plans by Wendell Hosteller. If anyone can recommend a very good builder, I’d be forever grateful.

TomCrump 04-03-2014 01:45 AM

RonTins 04-12-2014 06:10 PM

Any suggestions guys?....

Edwin 04-13-2014 03:13 PM

Hostetler has plans for a 206. Can probably find a kit cutter.
Edwin

RonTins 04-13-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin (Post 11782134)
Hostetler has plans for a 206. Can probably find a kit cutter.
Edwin

I bought the plans already and have acquired most of the parts. What I need is a good builder who can build it close to the finished quality similar to Tmmy's big Cessna's.

TomCrump 04-14-2014 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by RonTins (Post 11782171)
I bought the plans already and have acquired most of the parts. What I need is a good builder who can build it close to the finished quality similar to Tmmy's big Cessna's.

Are you prepared to pay big $$$$ ?

You are looking at over 500 hours at probably $20.00 an hour minimum. This is above the cost of the materials.

In effect, you are looking for a multifaceted individual, a carpenter and an autobody man, all in one. Skilled labor is expensive, so be prepared. The costs may shock you.

RonTins 04-14-2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by TomCrump (Post 11782436)

You are looking at over 500 hours at probably $20.00 an hour minimum. This is above the cost of the materials.

In effect, you are looking for a multifaceted individual, a carpenter and an autobody man, all in one. Skilled labor is expensive, so be prepared. The costs may shock you.

As long as it's done to my specifications and could be used in scale competitionis, I am willing to bare the costs...
Are you a builder, Tom?

TomCrump 04-14-2014 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RonTins (Post 11782772)
As long as it's done to my specifications and could be used in scale competitionis, I am willing to bare the costs...
Are you a builder, Tom?

Yes, I'm a builder, but not for hire. Sorry.

Tony Hallo 04-17-2014 02:01 AM

Most builders do it love not money. When making modifications, one must be willing to consider the first a prototype and start over again. This can get expensive when paying.

RonTins 04-18-2014 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TomCrump (Post 11782436)

Tom:
Why that much for skilled labor? Even Tmmy's Big 1/3 scale Cessna 182 which comes complete including all control horns,fuel tanks,wheels with breaks, lights, interior decorated cabin etc and painted is less than $5000.00.

No wonder many opt to buy outside the US...

RonTins 04-18-2014 10:41 AM

I just have a knack for Cessna airplanes and I am hoping that somehow, a scaled version of the 206 would be built and sold in a composite version with lights, breakes, hidden servo linkages, opening doors, detailed cockpit with clear windows and an engine compartment big enough to stuff an OS Pegusus 320-FF Four Stroke glow engine. I think all my restless nights will soon come to an end when I finally have a 120" Cessna 206 in my possession. I just want to have this Cessna 206!!!

TomCrump 04-18-2014 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by RonTins (Post 11785583)
Tom:
Why that much for skilled labor? Even Tmmy's Big 1/3 scale Cessna 182 which comes complete including all control horns,fuel tanks,wheels with breaks, lights, interior decorated cabin etc and painted is less than $5000.00.

No wonder many opt to buy outside the US...

I sure wouldn't work for less than $20.00 an hour, especially on a project like this.

Try paying less, while expecting a competitioin grade model, and see what you come up with.

It takes experience and talent to build a model with the features that you require. Experience and talent cost money.

Edwin 04-18-2014 02:45 PM

I've seen this type of deal end badly many times. The expectations of the customer tend to not get made clear to the builder. Then the builder gets fed up and gives it all back to the customer and tells him to find someone else. I will help people in a build but I won't do it for someone. I understand Toms reply completely.
Edwin

AVIATor-Olav 05-16-2014 10:33 PM

Hi.
A few years ago I was in dialog with TMMY to make me a 206 based on the Hostetler drawings. He was pefectly willing to do it, and the price wasn't bad either. I even sent him the Hostetler drawings. He probably still has them. The Project was canned because I lost interest, and gave up the hobby. Maybe sometime in the future!

RonTins 05-17-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by AVIATor-Olav (Post 11805941)
Hi.
A few years ago I was in dialog with TMMY to make me a 206 based on the Hostetler drawings. He was pefectly willing to do it, and the price wasn't bad either. I even sent him the Hostetler drawings. He probably still has them. The Project was canned because I lost interest, and gave up the hobby. Maybe sometime in the future!

Could you message TMMY and CC me and tell him I am interested in the 206 using the Hosteller drawings similar to what you sent him and then I'll pick it up from there with him?

Thanks.

AVIATor-Olav 05-18-2014 01:50 AM

Sure, no problem. PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send him a message and put you on CC.

Tor

RonTins 03-13-2015 07:32 AM

Time to give this dying thread a shot in the arm as I refuse to believe there are no interests in large scale cessna 206's....

airsteve172 03-21-2020 11:29 AM

While it may be possible to hire someone who has the time, interest, patience, skill and resources to produce a professional caliber model, the odds of finding someone like that are extremely slim. Even if you were to find some such person, the cost to you would probably exceed your wildest imagination.

As an example, I decided that I wanted to have an RC model of an airplane that was similar to what I've been flying full scale. I want this model at its 1/5 scale to have an accuracy and a finish that was comparable more to 1/25 scale plastic show car models than to anything one typically sees in the form of an RC airplane model. The caliber of detail and workmanship that I'm after would preclude it from ever taking flight since merely running it through blades of grass or having pebbles kicked up in the airstream would cause what I'd consider to be extreme harm.

This project has been on and off for over 10 years now and I have never entertained the idea of abandoning it. Upon its completion, if someone wanted to buy it, the price would be nothing less than $15,000. I'm not looking for buyers, by the way!

If you've got a wallet that can handle tens of thousands for a piece of aviation art, then you might just have a chance of finding someone or you might look to professional companies that specialize in scale models.

The costs are incredible because of the time, talent and resources that are required to hand build an original object of such complexity. To some extent, I believe you already realize this as you are not even attempting to do this project on your own.

Blancr 03-31-2020 08:35 AM

Can't help with anyone based in the States but if you're really stuck then these guys in the UK are simply the best and have a track record to prove it
https://www.fighteraces.co.uk/
Bob

cymaz 04-25-2020 11:37 PM

I followed a FighterAces build thread online. It was for the Gee Bee. Stunning craftsmanship.