RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/1395907-gary-allen-33%25-b%C3%BCcker-jungmeister.html)

Idigbo 11-20-2006 04:47 PM

RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hi all, has Gary done two versions of his third scale Jungmeister. I keep hearing about the scale successes of the design, but my plan shows a semi symmetrical wing section and a traditonally hinged elevator surfaces?

I have redrawn the elevator hinge to be scale but then I got to thinking that he has done two versions and I have the 'sport'.

Any info?

Cheers, Ian.

Big_Bird 11-20-2006 06:24 PM

According to the RCS web site the dimension B (diameter) is 10". The Jungie cowl is about 9.5" in diameter. The length is 8.46". On my Jungie the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl is about 5.5". The radial is supposed to weigh 7.7 pounds. Balance would be a problem with this engine. It would be great in a 40% Jungmeister. I think it's too big all the way around for a 33% Jungie unless you ran with the cowl off and an extra chunk of lead in the tail. Come to think of it, covering it up with a cowl is almost sinful.

I liked the audio clip on the web site. It sure is pricey. If I bought something like that the divorce would bankrupt me.

bipeaddict 11-20-2006 06:45 PM

You must be looking at a different rcshowcase websight than me. http://www.rcshowcase.com/images/eng...ns/radials.jpg

The "B"dimension for the RCS 150 is 217 mm / 8.54", Dimension "A" the length from the firewall to the prop hub is 108mm/4.25". It sounds like it would fit. I agree the additional weight might cause issues.

Cirque 11-20-2006 06:55 PM

Hi all, I've just received a set of the 1/3 scale plans and am deciding weather I should purchase the
short kit from Arizona. My past experience with them was not so good in that, many parts in the kit
that I received did not match up to the plans in size. After many conversations, they did refund me
fully. This was not the Jungmeister and was also about 7 years ago.
Thanks in advance for any coments.

Regards
Paul

Big_Bird 11-20-2006 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: bipeaddict

You must be looking at a different rcshowcase websight than me. http://www.rcshowcase.com/images/eng...ns/radials.jpg

The "B"dimension for the RCS 150 is 217 mm / 8.54", Dimension "A" the length from the firewall to the prop hub is 108mm/4.25". It sounds like it would fit. I agree the additional weight might cause issues.

Here is the JPG picture that I copied from the web site that you referenced.
Comments?

Big_Bird 11-20-2006 07:19 PM

Paul, I used the Arizona short kit and found it to be plenty acceptable. If I were going to buy another one it would be from Arizona based on my previous experience. The instrument panel kit that came with the short hit was very non scale and I did not use it. There are plenty of photos available to allow you make an a reasonably scale Jungmeister instrument panel. There may have been a few parts that didn't fit but they escape my memory.

DON'T buy your plans from Arizona. I have heard from several sources that when they re-drew Gary Allen's plans that they left the dimensions off. Buy the original plans from Model Airplane News. They are still available.

bipeaddict 11-20-2006 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the .jpg that I copied from the website that you referenced.

Comments?

It looks like there are two different jpg's with different information. Maybe RCShowcase should wade in here and tell us what is correct.

duzall 11-21-2006 02:38 AM

I've done 95% of the work (with 95% to go) ;) on a 33% Jungmeister, and it's getting to the point where I'm going to have to put an engine in it. Hence the hard choice that I now have to make. When I started building it, I was going to put a ZDZ 60RV (the blue one) in it, but now I have the chance to put a (used) Saito 300 twin in it. I've heard mixed things about the ZDZ from a lot of people (I think it'll probably be ok), and I really really like the sound of a 4 stroke twin. I'm thinking it'll be reasonably light, probably about 21-23 pounds. Has anyone used any combinations like these?

SoCalSal 11-21-2006 09:50 AM

Hi, I'm starting the same plane. Just getting the sides boxed up now. I went through the whole "what engine for it" thing. I as well thought about the Saito 5 cyl. But I think it will be just a bit shy of extra power as I have a friend who runs one on a 25% Ryan and it flys it o.k. but no extra power if needed. After looking around at that new RCS 150 I put that idea on the shelf as the weight and cost are to high. I now have a RCS 215 in my 33% Waco and it is just a powerhouse and a GREAT engine, should be for $3 grand. I have now decided to go with a Brillelli 366gt as my engine. It will fit inside the cowl and have more than enough power to fly the Jungmeister 133. I also thought about the BCMA 60cc engine as well. I think either of these engines will be more than enough power for this plane.

Big_Bird 11-21-2006 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

Hi all, has Gary done two versions of his third scale Jungmeister. I keep hearing about the scale successes of the design, but my plan shows a semi symmetrical wing section and a traditonally hinged elevator surfaces?

I have redrawn the elevator hinge to be scale but then I got to thinking that he has done two versions and I have the 'sport'.

Any info?

Cheers, Ian.
Ian, I am not aware of plans other than the original ones sold by Model Airplane News and the redrawn ones by Arizona Model Aircrafters. When you start thinking true scale, where is the stopping point? Example: The plans show rods linking the upper and lower ailerons. In reality there was a bell crank on the upper and lower ailerons linked by two cables. Gary Allen did this with his competition plane but did not show it on the plans. There are also sheet metal panels on the front of the fuselage. You could spend 400 hours building a plane and 600 more hours with scale detail.

alpal 11-22-2006 03:33 AM

Does anyone have a "Materials List" for the 1:3 Jungie???

I have the plan and can work out what I need, but it does make life easier if someone has made up a Balsa List and spruce etc.

I am looking forward to this build!!! I have been organising to finish off all maintenance on my fleet, then to clean the workshop and set up a new building board with 1/2 inch cork.
By the way, does anyone have an instruction manual?? Also a nice-to-have.

Alex

SoCalSal 11-22-2006 08:45 AM

Hi here is a link to a construction artical on the Gary Allen Jungmeister.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...03/ai_n8881925

Hope it helps
Steve

SoCalSal 11-22-2006 10:27 PM

I asked Arizona why there plans have no demensions on them. They said it was because it is easier to scale up or down the plans without the demensions. I bought theirs and a set from the mag that have the demesions on them. This way I can build over Arizona's and still have a perfect set to check the demensions from. Yes it cost an extra $30.00 but it is worth it to be.

The cutting on the short kit is very well done but there were 2 parts missing and 3 parts miss marked, no big deal as the parts that were missing were very easy to cut.

alpal 11-22-2006 10:45 PM

Thanks for the link to the construction article, it will help.
I will be building from scratch because the frieght to South Africa really doesn't make it worthwhile for a few bits I will have to make myself...ast least the ribs are all the same size! Anyone with a parts list???
ALex

alpal 11-22-2006 11:03 PM

I have just gone to see the Brillelli 366gt because I hadn't heard of it before...nice engine I must say!! Will it fit inside totally? Just the exhaust sticking out or will the spark plug stick out too??
Please post some pictures SoCalSal, because it seems you are nicley ahead of me!! I am just in the process of ordering the sticks to start the fuse sides and have run into my first problem, most hobby shops here have metric balsa and spruce, so I will have to cut down spruce longerons for instance, from 10 x 10mm to 10 x 6.5. I will try one other shop today which I think stocks wood in inches.

SoCalSal 11-23-2006 11:15 AM

Hi. I have not recived my engine yet. They will ship it next week. But it is very near the same size as a G-62 so it will fit well within the cowl. I'm sending you a couple of links to wood suppliers here in the U.S. that you may be intrested in. I use them and there prices are not all that bad with quality top notch.
I will post photos of engine when I get to that point.

Steve

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/ Very good for spruce planks and such

http://www.balsausa.com/ Best balsa around. and good service.

grn2806 11-28-2006 08:22 PM

I was thinking about building a Ziroli Stearman and during my research I some how ran across this Gary Allen 1/3 Bucker.
This looks like an awsome airplane and will be my first giant scale project. I ordered the plans today and can't wait to get started on this one. Thanks for all the pics and comments in this post it has assured me that this is the plane I've been looking for.

Big_Bird 11-28-2006 08:54 PM

Welcome to the thread and let us know if you have any questions.

grn2806 11-28-2006 09:02 PM

Thanks Ken, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions along the way and it's nice to have you guys here for info. Aren't computers great?
I'll post pics along the way.

Doug

Big_Bird 11-28-2006 11:52 PM

Yes, computers and the internet are pretty awesome. 15 years ago I would have never dreamed that I would be talking model airplanes with folks in South Africa, California, Brazil, New Zealand, England, etc. etc. Truly amazing and a lot of fun to boot.

alpal 11-29-2006 01:40 AM

I agree about the Internet completely! It is a big bonus to see pictures of other peoples progress and get help from those who have completed the project currently inspiring the searcher!
I have only made a rudder so far, but a lot of work has been going on in sourcing components. Thanks for the link to the wood suppliers, SolCalSal, but I have solved this small problem by obtaining a plank of "Music Grade" Spruce from a local timber yard called "Rare Woods" they stock, as the name suggests, all sorts of wood. So now I have a plank that I will cut up and thickness with a friends' wood working machines. In the meantime I have been getting the plans copied so I can transfer shapes onto the balsa/ply and cut out stuff. I think I might get a local laser cutting firm to cut the brass bits, I am investigating the cost anyway.
Can anyone tell me what you get in the "short kit " from Arizona models?? I mean as far as, say ,cabane struts or windshield or precut ply parts for undercarriage etc,,, is it VERY complete? all you have to buy is ONLY Balsa sheet??or am I wrong?
Great to have you guys for support, I will post a pic or two soon
Alex

SoCalSal 11-29-2006 08:47 AM

Hi Buddy, In the Arizona short kit you get almoast all the fuse. formers cut, all the ribs are cut and holes drilled. You also get firewall and engine mount parts cut . All parts that are cut are marked for you. You don't get any metal parts unless you order their lazer cut fittings kit ( I did and well worth the $$$) As far as landing gear blocks, no you have to cut those as well as making the wire gear parts.
Like it says on their site, all you do is supply the sticks and planks and other hardware. I would recommend 2 sets of plans, one to build over and one to look over, if you get Arizona plans there will be only line drawings no demensions marked or printed on them.
The Arizona short kit will have some parts cut from lite-ply that the plans call for balsa but that is o.k. as the weight is the same but the strength is better. Cutting is very well done. I had only one problem with the kit, top fuse former #F-5 is missing or it is the instrument panel they pre- drill and cut for you. Also side stringer parts # F2s are not included and they should be as everything in front of the location and behind it are. But a super easy part to make... 2 small triangle braces for side stringer on both sides, no big deal.
You also get a very nice fiberglass cowl and wheel pants as well as a pair of wheels for the plane.
Got to go now and see what the progress of my engine is, It is supposed to be here this week.

Steve

Big_Bird 11-29-2006 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alex, I made my metal parts out of 1/16" 6061-T6 aluminum to save some weight. It is a very strong and tough aluminum. The only drawback is that you can't make a sharp 90 degree bend. It must be radius-ed a little. It is very easy to band saw and trim with a file. I redrew the pattern for the metal pieces using Corel Draw. Here is a conversion from a .cdr file to a .jpg file. It lost a little in the translation but is still plenty usable. If you have Corel Draw I can send you the .cdr file. The rectangle for the drawing measures 190mm by 145mm. You could scale it up or down to fit this dimension. I simply used some kraft mount spray adhesive to attach the drawing to the aluminum and went to work.

Edit: After printing the picture from RCU I found out that it will need to rescaled. The real solution is to send the .jpg file by e-mail. If anyone wants it just PM or e-mail me with your address.

Big_Bird 11-29-2006 01:24 PM

I just sent the .jpg file to Gordon and realized that it still gets compressed. Here is a great free down loadable program which is excellent for resizing a .jpg file.

http://www.irfanview.com/

alpal 11-29-2006 03:36 PM

Steve, thanks for the detailed response.
How far are you with your Jungie? Some pictures??
Alex