RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/1395907-gary-allen-33%25-b%C3%BCcker-jungmeister.html)

Kellermann 09-21-2004 01:18 PM

RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hey Fellas,
I am glad to report that Ken's Jungie placed high in the money at Bomber Field.

Second Place, Best Civilian Post 1941

Congrats, Ken, well done.

Marcus

heartbeat 09-21-2004 06:36 PM

killermann that plane had to place in something!!!! .you should see the trophys ken has won through the years.I wish i had been there to see it, well done Ken good job:D McCarson.

Big_Bird 09-21-2004 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks a lot guys for the comments. We really had a good time. Here is a photo of the hardware.

This is a list of the winners.

Best Military Pre-1941

1) Morane Sauliner (Pilot # 190, will have to look up his AMA number, call AMA, and then send him his trophy - first name is Michael)

2) Neuport 17 Jerry Miller

3) Standard J-1 Paul Righthammer

Best Military Post 1941

1)ME-109 Evan Quiros

2)P-47 Nick Capone

3) Corsair Bill Krummel

Best Civilian Pre 1941

1) Spirit of St Louis - Bill Holland

2) Travel Air Bipe - Bob Severance

3) (No third place award)

Best Civilian Post 1941

1) Stearman - Keith Coover

2) Bucker Jungemiester - Ken Spears

3) Gulfhawk - Ross Wood

Best Multi Engine

1) B-25 - Paul LeTourneau

2) He 219 Jim Marshall

3) JU-52 Hadly Hudnall

Best Jet

1) F86 - Ronnie Colbert

2) Mig 15 - Barry Rayburn

3) F9F Panther

Best of Show

Barry Rayburn

B17 Bomber

1) Jimmy Cowman

2) Joe Pastor Sr

3) Larry Wells/Steve Forrest

Big_Bird 09-29-2004 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I attached the wing wire spreader support (broom stick) to the flying/landing wires I used CA and thread to secure it. Over a period of time vibration caused the spreader to move from it's original location causing some of the wires to bow.

To correct this, I soldered 3 wraps of soft copper wire either side of the attachment location and reattached with thread and CA. I think this will work.

Ken

heartbeat 09-29-2004 09:09 PM

ken that looks like it will work, looks good to me glad you used the copper wire.i bet thats the end of that problem.(MACK)[8D]

harryg 10-01-2004 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

congratulations on the beautiful Buecker Jungmeister. Planes like yours are a rare and beautiful sight. Do you fellows have any knowledge about the history of this plane. I picked up somewhere along the way that the plane was purpose built for the Olympics. I know that the plane was considered a very tough competitor on the aerobatics circuit.

I recently saw an awesome bird during a trip to Germany. I have attached pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

Regards,

Harry G

Big_Bird 10-01-2004 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Harry,

That's a really good looking Jungie. Did you get to see it fly?

The Jungmeister was designed as an aerobatic trainer for the military. It was used much like the Stearman although it was more aerobatic and much smaller. Do a search on Google.com and you will find a lot of history on the plane.

Here are 3 shots that Dick Lee made of my plane at Bomber Field.

Ken

harryg 10-01-2004 09:04 PM

Hi Ken,

yeah I saw the plane fly. It has a MOKI 5 star radial in it. I think it's sold as an RCS engine here. The plane has a 110" wingspan. The sound of the engine in combination with the plane's size gives it a nearly real appearance. I have some video clips of the plane flying. If you would like to see them I'll send you a disk with the files.

I really like the coloring scheme you did on yours. I think that's a Swiss marking isn't it? I like the first shot in your picture sequence. With the pilot figure in the plane it looks very realistic.

Have a good one,

Harry

Big_Bird 10-11-2004 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I sure had a good time flying the Jungie at the Hill Country Aero Modelers flyin in Austin Texas this weekend.

Ken

harryg 10-13-2004 08:16 PM

Hi Ken,

looking good - and it looks like your buddies agree. Congrats on the award!!! What was the nature of the event? Was it a static display judging or did you guys fly as well. I don't anything about the event so please apologize if I seem 'behind the times'. When you fly at these events what are the performances actually judged on?

Harry

Big_Bird 10-13-2004 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the compliments. This was just a Giant Scale flyin using IMAA rules. That is, a monoplane with at least an 80" wingspan or a biplane with at least a 60" wingspan. This was a non contest with no static judging. There were about 35 registered pilots. The only requirement is that the plane, to be judged, must make at least one flight. They passed out ballots to each pilot to vote on the plane at the meet that they liked best for Pilots Choice. It means a great deal when your fellow fliers vote for your plane.

There also was Best Warbird, Best Civilian, and Best of Show. These categories were voted on by a panel of members of the Hill Country Aero Modelers. This is pretty common at Giant Scale flyins in the south. However, this is the first time that I've seen an award of this type, that is, they produced a framed award on site instead of a plaque. Very nice idea. They had everyone pose with their plane during the flyin with nice cedar trees as a backdrop. The HCAM field in Austin is one of the most beautiful fields in Texas.

Ken

heartbeat 10-13-2004 11:24 PM

hay ken i didnt know you won with your war bird to thats great. boy did you put some time on that coursair.i am glad for you ,work well done :D (mack)

harryg 10-14-2004 08:21 PM

Hi Ken,

nothing like just simply having a great time with your friends. Seems to me you got whole hangar of good looking birds. BTW, I took you up on your idea to research the Jungmeister on Google. It turns out that a version of the Jungmeister flew during the opening ceremonies at the Berlin Olympics directly inside the stadium. Pretty amazing - I don't think they'd be pulling those kinds of stunts these days. Post more pictures of your plane as they come along.

Harry

jwreffner 10-17-2004 01:11 PM

Ken,
She is indeed a bute! Hey, I gotta quick question for you. Once again, I've been struck by the ever-so-error-prone 1/4 Gary Allen plans. My wing sheet indicates that there is a Botton Wing Maple block on the inner most W-7 rib. It's located very close to the servo tube running thru the wing. I realize that the top wings need the maple blocks to connect the flying wire brace but I'm not seeing why I need a bottom maple block. Can you check your plans and see if it's indicated on yours? If so what the heck is it for? Thanks a million ;) I hope to have some pics soon.

Jay

Big_Bird 10-17-2004 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jay. Here is a photo of my raggedy old plans. I assume the blocks that you are talking about are where the tabs attach on the bottom of the wings to hold the wing to the center section. Instead of blocks I used plywood and 6x32 blind nuts.

Ken

jwreffner 10-17-2004 03:26 PM

Ahhh...silly me, yeah, those blocks are to attach the bottom wing to the bottom center wing. Many thanks. I've been looking at these plans too long!!!! [:@]

Thanks,
Jay

dorjes 10-17-2004 05:38 PM

In response to SA Jet Jock : I've flown Gary Allen's Jungmeister with Gary in Team Scale in scale competition for 2 years and have done a bunch of practicing with the model also - the wing/wire setup is plenty strong as designed. I've seen no weakness in the wing system , and have stressed the airframe pretty well with snaps , etc.

It's a great flying model , and nice off tarmac. I found the best landing procedure is a three point landing - you can slow it down pretty well and have good control over the surfaces all the way up to a stall.

Dorin Luck

jwreffner 10-17-2004 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dorin,
That's good to hear...that it's a great flying plane and sturdy to boot. Here are the latest shots taken today...

Ahhhhh...there's gonna be a lot more beer consumed over this one! God give me strength not to quit!!! Damn, I shoulda bought the short kit! ;)

Jay

stearmoth 11-14-2004 02:00 PM

Hi Ken,

A very nice Jungmeister you built!!
Concerning flying wires: Why not have a look at http://bredavik.se/flyingwire

Greetings
Hans

jwreffner 11-27-2004 06:29 PM

Ok, I'm getting ready to start covering and I've got a question...

I'm going to use coverite (for several reasons) on the bucker. I have located the switch/charge jack and the remote head lock glow connector hear the tail. I am planning on installing a functional zipper system where they are located so I can zip and unzip near the tail so I can charge and ignite. My question is this...without waiting fifty thousand zippers and thirty thousand rolls of coverite trying to figure it out, does anyone have any suggestions how I can bond a zipper to the coverite and make it functional? I was thinking about sewing it with as tight as possible stitch and then reinforcing it with thin CA on the zipper side to wick through the zipper fabric to the stitch and coverite. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Jay

Big_Bird 11-27-2004 10:49 PM

Hans, thanks for the kind words. The flying wires that you make look first class. U-79 is undergoing it's second major overhaul in 30 years near San Diego California. I think it should be finished in a few months. I'll post photos when it's complete.

Jay, your Jungie looks great in the bones. Since I CA'd my zippers in and they are only eye wash, I think a combo of stitching and CA might work. Keep the thin CA away from the zipper teeth. You mentioned a glow connector. I don't remember you telling us what glow engine that you are planning to use.

If the weather, wind mainly, co-operates tomorrow I may go fly the Jungie. Lately (last 3 weeks) it's been too windy, too wet, or both to fly.

Have a nice weekend all.

Ken

jwreffner 11-28-2004 10:17 AM

Hey Ken...hope the weather improves down south. It's been horrible in Ohio lately. Anyways, I'll start trying to bond the zippers soon. I'll let you all know how it goes. As for the engine, I purchased an RCV 120-SP for the Jungmeister. I didn't want to go gas and I couldn't bear to cut the cowl for the traditional 4 stroke engine. I looked long and hard and came up with the RCV. It will make the scale appearance and is sized appropriately for the 1/4" Scale Jung. It's in the process of breaking in now on the test stands. The monster swings an 18 x 16 prop at 5100 prop shaft RPM. Yes, that's 16 pitch! It's a 2:1 gear reduction so it's got some amazing power. I may need to kick the prop size up an inch I'm not sure yet. Time will tell during the break-in. So far my estimates indicate the plane will come in around 13 lbs...we'll see!

More on the zipper later...

Cheers,
Jay

Big_Bird 11-28-2004 11:52 AM

Jay, I have a friend with a RCV 120-SP. He really likes it and it runs great. I'm surprised that your Jungie will come out at 13# ready to fly. I would gave guessed that it would be around 20#.

Keep us posted.

Ken

jwreffner 11-28-2004 12:57 PM

Well that's just an estimate at this point ;) Only time will tell but I'll be happy if it's under 15lbs for sure! Currently I'm working on the last of 4 wing halves, then I need to finish the bottom center wing, cowl and wheelpants and then cover with a few fuse details along the way. I'll keep you posted ;)

Thanks,
Jay

BobH 11-28-2004 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jay, doesn't the Jungmeister have a hatch on the plane some where? I believe there is a panel on the left side of the plane right behind the pilot. It would make life a lot easier to locate your switch and glo connector there. Or you could locate them inside the cockpit, between the pilots legs. I uploaded a picture of my SE5a with the cargo area/hatch. That's where I am putting the switch and glo connecter. Just an idea.. good luck. BTW I saw Gary's Plane last year at Scale Masters. It's a very nice looking/ flying plane. One of my "Must build" planes.