RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Hostetler 33% Decathlon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/252861-hostetler-33%25-decathlon.html)

Kellermann 12-09-2010 01:01 PM

RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the subject of Scale height x width...

I am posting here a few pix (not good in quality, the guy will take better ones and send) that show a WH built with the discussed changes, and what a result.
He reduced the width of the firewall (and fuse, of course) by 40mm ( that´s 1 9/16") and increaded the total height by 50mm ( that´s 2") and changed the cabin area accordingly.
He made an own mold for the cowl, and the result shows off a WH Decathlon MUCH closer to scale. He and I discussed this subject prior to him building the plane, so he incorporated the changes and was able even to use one of my plastic moulded windshields, with a little change, too.

The good news is that I will get hold of that mold, and will have the possibility to get a few copies laminated for those who are interested in changing the plans and getting that cowl.
I think that is a good idea to make the WH a little more "scale" without altering the design too much. Everything else remains the same. Any intermediate builder will be able to figure out how these changes have to be made.

Wendell, if you read this, ever thoght of changing the design accordingly?

Enjoy the pix - I will post better ones a soon as he sends them to me.

Marcus

Kellermann 12-10-2010 08:31 AM

I have no idea why my previous post shows the pictures in a large size instead of thumbnails.

Marcus

Big_Bird 12-10-2010 09:07 AM

Marcus, yours are not the only ones. I think several days ago they introduced a new version of RCU and it's really screwed up. Pictures have been doing this for several days. I just found the following dated 12/3/2010.

We're working on resolving the image problem and should have it done soon. The end result with the increased speed RCU will see as a result of the migration will be worth a few of these little glitches that need ironing out. Thanks for you patience.

Nathan M.
Administrator
RCUniverse.com | Wattflyer.com | RCUvideos.com

tflyrc 12-10-2010 10:05 AM

Marcus: I don't recall seeing these of the modified WH before but what I difference it makes. Guess mine will just be the low-rider version.

Kellermann 12-10-2010 10:15 AM

I had posted pix of this plane before but at that time it was unfinished and it was not noticeable.
I am asking the owner to send me the detail of the mods so I can share them here.

Marcus

ludfleet 12-10-2010 12:12 PM

Hello Marcus and welcome to the thread Greg, It's been a whie since I've posted anything. I haven't been feeling well enough to work on my plane so consequently nothing to post. However, I have continued to whatch the forum and enjoying anything that was put on. Now to my question for Marcus or anyone else that my have a photo of the knob on the luggage compartment. I have put in the luggage compartment and using it to hide switches and anything else that will fit and not screw up the balance. thanks in advance if someone has it available. Joe
my email [email protected]

Kellermann 12-10-2010 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joe, here´s the pic you´re looking for.

Marcus

GYANZ 12-10-2010 08:44 PM

In my researching the Decathlon/Citabria I have not seen the door on many planes, but in the articles it has been said the addition of side door is a god send. As one person mentioned the difficulty in get the luggage in and out could resemble a circus preformance. I too have considered the door for access to equipment, and have not ruled it out. A very good example from Marcus!

Kellermann 12-11-2010 03:12 AM

Greg you most likely won´t see the door on most of them. It´s a feature that ACA offers on Citabria Explorers, and to retrofit on Citabrias and SDs when re-covering.

Marcus

Kellermann 12-11-2010 03:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here´s one missing pic of the previous series, that shows the "new business end" of the modified WH Decathlon

Marcus

GYANZ 12-11-2010 06:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did come across a door on one particular SD I would not have thought would have one, Greg Koontz's SD that is used for his shows. So one would think the door is quite reliable and remain closed under G forces.

Big_Bird 12-11-2010 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Baggage door is sure not here. By the way, this plane is now N571BM for Bryan Martin.

Kellermann 12-12-2010 06:16 AM

Will you change the N number on your model to go along with the new registration?

Big_Bird 12-12-2010 08:25 AM

No, because when we built the SD the registration was still N571ED. However, the next one will have N571BM on it in honor of Bryan Martin and the new registration.

WacoNut 12-12-2010 08:54 AM

The next one? Your building another SD? If so what size?
Later!!
Anthony

Kellermann 12-12-2010 08:56 AM

The next one Ken is going to build is one of my 30% Scale SD which I am sending him as a Kit much probably by ends of January...

Marcus

Big_Bird 12-12-2010 09:03 AM

Yes, Joyce and I are going to build it and do another build thread on RCU.

GYANZ 12-12-2010 09:20 AM

Well I plan on building more than one SD myself, and Marcus has a very good looking product. If I wasn't in the middlle of my chances on the WH SD, a kit from Marcus would be very high on the list. I like the look of his. My next SD will be one Big Bird has already completed, the AMR 42% Super Decathlon.
Currently drawing up a more scale profile for the WH SD 33% plane, then with the AMR kit adding a few scale things like scale hinging of the control surfaces, a more scale cowling, and some fairings on the wing struts. All the while keeping the drawing going for MY SCALE 50% Super Decathlon. No it's not going to have a tube fuselage frame at this time. I have the welder and equipment for that type of build, but thats a couple of years off.

WacoNut 12-12-2010 09:43 AM

:D

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Yes, Joyce and I are going to build it and do another build thread on RCU.
Sweet, will give me something to watch this winter.:D It looks like I will be out of R/C building for a few years(at least), the full scale Hatz project is a go and will start after the 1st of the year.
Later!!
Anthony

Big_Bird 12-12-2010 10:57 AM

Anthony, just because you will be building and flying a full scale biplane, don't forget us earth bound folks.

WacoNut 12-12-2010 11:09 AM

Naaahhhh,
I will still bug the crap out of you often;). I will be building the ribs for the Hatz 1st then building a garage this spring to assemble the wings and weld up the fuse. Should be a fun project.
Later!
Anthony

Kellermann 12-12-2010 11:10 AM

Greg
I am playing with the idea of enlarging mine to 50% with a small run of kits for those who want a really big bird.
I think the major effort will be doing new molds. All the rest I can do with a few clicks on the mouse.

So before you actually start your 42% project give mine a thought. BTW, thanks for the kind words. I´ve really put a lot of effort into making it a good one.

Marcus

apalsson 12-12-2010 11:22 AM

Hey Marcus,

Having seen your finished planes, I'd be happy to get one of your kits (33%)
I stupidly sold my SD when I moved out here and have regretted it since.

My next WH project is the 27% Cessna 421

Regards

Ari

Kellermann 12-12-2010 11:35 AM

Ari

glad to hear from you again.

BTW mine is 30%. Thanks for the nice words.

PM me on my website´s email address and we´ll see how to work it out.

Marcus

apalsson 12-12-2010 11:42 AM

30% is also a good size Marcus.

I will be moving house in around 4 week's time. After that, I can get back into build mode because my new place has a large workshop out the back. I will be in touch them.
This is the Cessna I had in mind as my next project (the 27%):
http://www.hostetlersplans.com/cessna421c.html