RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   RC Guys Super Decathlon coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/5085039-rc-guys-super-decathlon-coming.html)

Flylow 12-06-2006 10:35 PM

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Just got the Feb 2007 Model Airplane News. What do I see on page 27. It's a 96 or 105 inch ARF Super Decathlon! Only one picture, but it looks nice.

shakes268 12-07-2006 12:01 AM

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

See, Wild Hare should have produced one! :)

icrashbipes 12-15-2006 11:44 PM

yeah, saw it too. wonder what size it's gonna be? 96" or 106" inch could be a 40-50cc gasser? guess it's about the same scale as their cessna 150?

Redwings 12-17-2006 03:24 PM

I emailed them and they are looking at producing the 96" Darn!!!!!! I was hoping for the larger one.
I have checked into this one also. $1995.00

http://www.hacker-model.com/uk/decat3.html

mrbigg 12-17-2006 07:33 PM

Right on! Where can we see a pic of the one in MAN? We don't have any on the newstands around here.

ORIGINAL: shakes268

See, Wild Hare should have produced one! :)

Don M. 12-18-2006 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the one in MAN mag. It was 105" and sold for about $400.00 US to a lucky guy in Canada. The actually one they will be selling will be ( according to RC Guys ) 96" and use a 35 - 50cc engine.

Taildragger726 12-18-2006 07:47 PM

Link ?? I got to have one!!!:D

icrashbipes 12-18-2006 07:53 PM

it's not up yet

http://www.rcguys.com/

[link=http://www.rcguys.com/]http://www.rcguys.com/[/link]

Redwings 12-18-2006 08:19 PM

Looks nice!! :D

Don M. 12-18-2006 08:22 PM

The picture I showed above came from R/C Canada. It was the only picture they put up when they sold the 105". The plane was gone in a heartbeat. They also e - mailed me a picture weeks ago but I can't recover it from my e - mails.

Redwings 12-18-2006 08:54 PM

I believe a void was created ever since Horizon stopped making the Decathlon and
it's good to see that a company is going to supply one that size again. I just wish the 105" would be available!!!

icrashbipes 12-18-2006 09:59 PM

i dont remember a horizon decathlon this size, which do you speak of?

icrashbipes 12-18-2006 10:39 PM

I am having a 115" wendell hostetler plans SD built and it's gonna cost me a forturne before I put motor and servos in it.
50+shipping for the plans, 350.00+shipping for the kit (from a cutter), 350 + a midwest citabria kit just to have it framed up by a local builder, 75 or so for the cowl and gear from Stan's Fibertech., plus another 100 or so for the covering that I will have to put on! That's a total of 925 & a 150 dollar kit for a 30% airplane and I have not bought any hardware for it yet. My luck they (rcguys) will make available the big one about the time I'm picking mine up from my builder for 399 shipped. Don't ya just love the Chinese?

Rcpilot 12-18-2006 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

I am having a 115" wendell hostetler plans SD built and it's gonna cost me a forturne before I put motor and servos in it.
50+shipping for the plans, 350.00+shipping for the kit (from a cutter), 350 + a midwest citabria kit just to have it framed up by a local builder, 75 or so for the cowl and gear from Stan's Fibertech., plus another 100 or so for the covering that I will have to put on! That's a total of 925 & a 150 dollar kit for a 30% airplane and I have not bought any hardware for it yet. My luck they (rcguys) will make available the big one about the time I'm picking mine up from my builder for 399 shipped. Don't ya just love the Chinese?
I checked into the Wendal Decathlon too. I'd build it myself, so there's no builders fee in there. But there's no way a guy could build that airframe for less than $600--$650. By the time you add covering, the kit, the hardware, the glass--your easily up to $600 for it.

The Chinese will have it built and sell it to us for $425. Sure, the hardware sucks, and you may even spend another $100 for good quality hardware and some other odds and ends. But, you don't have to spend 4 months framing and covering it either. Thats worth something.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE to build. But, I'll be darned if I'll put that much work into building and covering a balsa plane when I can buy an ARF for a few hundred cheaper and be flying it next weekend. Thats just being a sadist. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Don M. 12-19-2006 07:54 AM

I think he must be talking about the 1/4 scale Taylorcraft they had.

icrashbipes 12-19-2006 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ah yes, the clipped wing taylorcraft. bout time they brought it back. I just finished one that I aquired from a kit collector. BME 44 pulls her around pretty good. Have flown her past 3 weekends.

ORIGINAL: Don M.

I think he must be talking about the 1/4 scale Taylorcraft they had.

Don M. 12-20-2006 07:10 AM

Yeah I missed the boat on the Taylorcraft, waited too long and it was gone. I won't make the same mistake on the R/C Guys SD. I have an e - mail into them to notify me when it is available. There is just something about this style of plane that grabs my knickers :D

cadconversions 12-21-2006 02:06 PM

I saw this in MAN as well. Would love the larger wingspan version but hate having to wait forever for it to come out now. Will have to get something else for my DA-50 unless it's close...

Uh-Oh! 12-22-2006 12:15 AM

ah yes, the clipped wing taylorcraft. bout time they brought it back. I just finished one that I aquired from a kit collector. BME 44 pulls her around pretty good. Have flown her past 3 weekends.

That BME 44 flys RD's T-craft around like a foamie!!! [X(] Wowsers!!!

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Goldberg Super Decatlon when I ran across this thread. I think I'll wait a bit and scope this one out. Based on what I've seen on their website with RCGuys Pitts and Cessna, this should be a winner.

Russ, ain't it scary that we like the same type of planes??

icrashbipes 12-22-2006 12:35 AM

feels like your stalking me, you keep popping up on threads ive posted on. if you wanna do a little work, I'll sell you my goldberg SD that I parked in that tree this summer.

ORIGINAL: Uh-Oh!

That BME 44 flys RD's T-craft around like a foamie!!! [X(] Wowsers!!!

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Goldberg Super Decatlon when I ran across this thread. I think I'll wait a bit and scope this one out. Based on what I've seen on their website with RCGuys Pitts and Cessna, this should be a winner.

Russ, ain't it scary that we like the same type of planes??

Uh-Oh! 12-22-2006 12:54 AM

I think I'll hold off on the "tree top" version of the Decathlon but, Jimmy G. (hooter) has mentioned he'd like to talk you out of it....

I can't believe you think I'm stalking you.... After all, you grew a beard to look more like ME, right? :D

See you sometime this weekend I'm sure....

Ed Sidders 12-22-2006 03:53 PM

Looks like I'm gonna save my Santa money for this. Big question is WHEN ?

Taildragger726 12-22-2006 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed Sidders

Looks like I'm gonna save my Santa money for this. Big question is WHEN ?
I think they will debut at the WRAM Show,, isn't that sometime in Feburary?

Flylow 12-22-2006 09:42 PM

Sure would be nice if RC Guys could give us some more info here. This should be a popular plane.

I received the following info from Dan Speers with RCguys.com after posting the note above. He did say they hope to have the 96" ARF available April 1st just in time for the Toledo Weak Signals Show. They will be posting photos & specs on their website within the next couple of weeks.

SunShyne 12-25-2006 11:38 PM

looks like I will have a Decathlon in April :)