RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   What Kit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/6412270-what-kit.html)

FlyingGreg 09-25-2007 12:43 PM

What Kit?

Hey Guys--

I'm looking for a new scale kit to build. I am looking at least for 1/4 scale size and like the golden age planes, WWI and biplanes. I would like to make this my first gasser. I have just completed a 1/4 scale Sig J3. I'm not really interested in warbirds (except WWI) or 3D planes. Planes I think I would like would be Waco, Stearman, Gee Bee, Stinson, Monocoupe, Giant Aeromaster, Beaver--maybe Ercoupe. I can do short kits and limited scratch builidng. Any suggestions? What have been your favorite kits.

Greg

tailskid 09-25-2007 09:22 PM

RE: What Kit?

Try www.arizonamodels.com for a wide variety of kits....

NCIS 09-26-2007 05:22 PM

Balsa USA WWI 1/4 Scale Sopwith Pup as used in the movie Flyboy's!!! Very nice kit and very nice built.

Gibbs

Jaime326 09-26-2007 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There were no BUSA Pups used in Flyboys. Actually I don't think there were any Pups at all. The Triplanes came from Arizona Model Aricrafters as did the info for the VR graphics on the Nieuport 17, the Gotha and Handely Page bombers, and the Zeppelin. The movie used 1/8 Dr.1 parkfliers for the ground shots in front of the hangers and the flight shots were done with 1/4 scale RC models. There are two 1/4 Triplanes left from the batch made for the movie which will be on EBAY next week.

FlyingGreg 09-27-2007 07:11 AM

Thanks Guys--I know Balsa USA makes great kits. I really like their Stearman, but wow--$1200 for kit! Have to save my beer money, but that's probably not going to happen.

Jaime326 09-27-2007 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW That is a lot of beer. Save some money and get a Ziroli Stearman and short kit parts. You can get all the accessories and materials seperatly. It should only cost you half as much. If you want it bigger Arizona Models can blow it up to any size. Here is what was done to an IKON NW Vega kit

eagledancer 09-29-2007 04:32 PM

there are many ways for you to go if you like ww1, mick reeves has fantastick 1/4 and 1/3 scale models of the pup and camel, busa has many ww1 kits now in both 1/4 and 1/3, there are many golden age plan sets out there also. proctor enterprises has several ww1 kits. and thier service is second to none! GTM has some ww1 german planes in both 1/4 and 1/3.
hope this helps some

papermache 10-01-2007 06:09 AM

Greg,
It depends on your budget and your desires. If you want true scale with all the bells and whistles, then you go GTM, Proctor or Arizona. If this is what you want, then you will be prepared to pay the price for it, and it can be quite steep. BUSA kits are not quite scale. They have different airfoils, landing gear is uaually shorter and wider, and other modifications have been made to enhance their flying ability. They do fly well (not that the others don't), and they are less expensive than the others. The choice is yours.

papermache

khodges 10-01-2007 03:07 PM

BUSA's Fokker D-VII is a great model to build. It's true that BUSA kits have "mods" that make them a tad less scale than Reeves or GTM, but the D-VII is very close. Since the wings are cantilevered on the original, the thick section on the model's wings is prototypical; also, since the D-VII didn't have flying wires, the model is much easier to assemble and disassemble for transport. The 1/4 scale version is BIG, but will actually fly on a G-26, although a G-38 is much, much better.

Glenn Torrance Models also has some great WWI stuff, up the $$$$ ladder a bit from BUSA.

Another choice that makes a gorgeous plane is the Genesis WACO YMF, in either 1/4 or 1/3 scale. It ain't cheap, but it is a great looking model.

jmohn 10-01-2007 03:35 PM

Arizona Models has some great kits. You can also try Aerodrome RC too.

http://www.aerodromerc.com/

Another good source is K&W models. They have some nice "different" kits. If you want a great looking plane try and find a Hawker Hind or Hart model from the 1930s. I think Kit Cutters sells a nice 1/4 scale short kit.

http://www.kwmairpl.com.ph/GreatWar.asp

jjmretired 10-12-2007 11:38 AM

You'd have to search long and hard to find anything close to a Proctor kit for WW1. I've built several and it's like being back in 1916 in an aircraft factory. Every screw, turnbuckle, cable and item needed is included except for wheels and covering. And they fly great. I've haven't built a Glenn Torrance model yet but they look like good kits also.

full rudder 10-12-2007 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you like golden age aircrafts try to find the plans for a 1/3 scale Corben Super Ace, I know the plan and
article came out around late 80's in Model airplane news. I have this bird in .40 size (a 1974 VK kit still new
in the box :D). It was the first homebuilt made, used a ford model A engine and a real looker to me
anyway. Never seen one at the field either!

FlyingGreg 10-15-2007 06:40 AM

Full Rudder--Nice looking plane--might be a good scale project if info is available. Thanks for the pictures.

Greg

full rudder 10-15-2007 06:23 PM

Greg, after roaming my pile of mags I found the issue of Model Airplane News (June 1983) with the article
for the Corben Super Ace 1/3 scale, if you're interested let me know and I'll scan it for you.

Full Rudder.

-----------------------------
Any similarity with the drawings is pure coincidence....

michou41a 10-15-2007 08:17 PM

Long time ago i build this Corben Super Ace 1/3 scale, sold to John Chevalier and he sold it to a museum .....

FlyingGreg 10-16-2007 07:10 AM

Thanks Full Rudder. I will hang on to this thread and will contact you if I decide to investigate further. I've built a couple of planes off the plans. One came out as an OK flier, the other did not survive the maiden flight. Both were sport planes. I'm not up to a full scale project like the Corben, but I sure do like the way it looks. My flying interests are trending toward Cub like flight. I think I would like to try a WWI kit, probably go with Balsa USA.

Michou41a--do you have any pics to post of your Corben?

Thanks.

Greg

jollyroger 10-16-2007 02:32 PM

BUSA just came out with a 1/6 scale Pup. looks like a good electric conversion:D
I really don't know anyone who was dissatisfied with BUSA kits. For the dollar you get better than average quality wood and all the hardware you need.
Building from scratch? Hmmmmmm. I bet you will find out just how expensive it can really be.
I'm not disparaging scratch builders. I've even done it myself as it is more for the reward of doing it yourself. But, let's not kid ourselves, it can be just as expensive as buying a full blown kit, and maybe even more as you have to purchase onesies and twosies. Besides if you make a mistake in cutting, well, you have to start out all over again. If the kit manufacturer makes a mistake, it's usually on their dollar.
Buying a good kit from a reputable company can give a builder just as much satisfaction as scratch building. After all, you can still make changes and add scale detail to a kit.
A friend of mine who passed away a couple years ago, built the BUSA 1/4 scale Cub. He then built the correct scale bungee landing gear. After covering it with Sig Coverall and Randolph dope, it looked very scale, well almost as it had Saint Nick in the number two seat.
Good luck on whatever you decide and keep us posted.

michou41a 10-16-2007 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Greg, i have pictures 4 by 6 , but not scanned yet, but look at this one!! my 42% J3 Cub

michou41a 10-16-2007 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some other pics

michou41a 10-16-2007 06:13 PM

others

FlyingGreg 10-17-2007 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Michau--That is absolutely STUNNING! Is that a scaled up BUSA? If not, where did you get the plans? I have two cubs, one a Sig 1/4 scale and the other is a GP. Both were kits. Here are some pics of mine--pale by comparison to your Cub. What engine? VW?

I like you workshop--looks like your garage. I'll bet it gets pretty cold there in Quebec. You probably have it insulated.

Greg

michou41a 10-17-2007 07:02 AM

Greg, it is a Bob Nelitz blow up on the fuselage, clark Y airfoil, draw by a friend of mine and laser cut, 15 feet wingspan,3w112 cc 4 cylinder engine, my workshop supposed to be a garage for my car, the car sleep outside ....yes i have heating in the garage, this morning it is cold, winter time ios coming, hope to fly the cub before.

Michel

WorldModelNut 10-17-2007 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a BUSA 1/4 DR1. Very good kit and not to bad to build. Nice size and will be finishing with a WEbra Bully 2.2.