RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   MONSTER MODEL EVENT (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/6864295-monster-model-event.html)

Red Scholefield 01-06-2008 04:37 PM

MONSTER MODEL EVENT

While the exact date and venue is not yet established so this can be placed in the Events section here is a heads up for another FTE modeling extravaganza.

Hi all,

I promised I'd provide details on the progress of the Monster Planes event for very large Scale Aircraft,
so here is what we've got so far.
We have acquired a choice of 2 sites. Neither is close to the Lakeland Airport but both are very large, and within 25 minutes of Lakeland.
The insurance is definitely in place, just waiting for confirmation of the dates. It appears now that dates will be earlier than first thought,
looking at the first or second week of October, 2008. We'll have definite information in 3 weeks or less. My biggest concerns are the ease of driving to the site, hotel proximity and parking for motor homes.
We are also revisiting the qualifications for the models. Since we are looking for really large models, we are thinking of starting the first year with
a weight MINIMUM of 35 pounds DRY. There will be no maximum weight limit. We have just about locked up some sponsors that may allow us to do some very nice things for the participating pilots. I hesitate to say what just yet, but hopefully this event will be grander than originally hoped for. The Runway area at one site is Hard Surface, 100 feet wide by 3,000 feet long, and has nothing in the way in the over-fly area. The other site has as much room but the runway is Grass.
The AMA will NOT be involved in this in any way, shape or form! But, just as with a sanctioned AMA event, if there is an altercation, the Insurance provided will kick in after the pilot's home owners insurance has. Every U.S. pilot will be required to sign a document that he fully understands that the AMA has nothing to do with this event. Foreign pilots must produce a document from their Flying Organization confirming that their insurance will be in effect. Both sites are so large, so any incident, or accident, would be miles from any structure. As always, I welcome sane questions at my direct email, [email protected]. This is shaping up to be an awesome event

I am very curious how the European modelers are reacting to such a grand event. I know that it will be very expensive to get large models
shipped to Florida and then sent back. I am wondering if we get enough interest if I might be able to strike a deal with Fed-Ex in return for giving them credibility as a Sponsor. That’s what I am looking into next week.

Meanwhile, if any of you have any comments or questions, or advice for that matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Frank

FTE INC.

Frank Tiano Enterprises

Alloys-Now, ZAP Adhesives,

Top Gun, Florida Jets

3607 Ventura Drive East

Lakeland Fl 33811

863-607-6611

863-607-6602 Fax

www.franktiano.com website

[email protected] e-mail

Taildragger726 01-06-2008 08:37 PM

RE: MONSTER MODEL EVENT

Didn't Frank say he did not want aerobatic planes ?

Red Scholefield 01-07-2008 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Taildragger726

Didn't Frank say he did not want aerobatic planes ?
I seem to recall he hinted at that. I'm sure it will show up in the event guidelines.

FTiano 01-07-2008 08:52 AM

What I said was I don't care to have Flip Flop and 3D type aircraft taking up the airways.
Nice Scale models of good looking Scale Aerobatic Aircraft are certainly welcome.
But ARFs with Office Door size ailerons, 4 feet long, that do nothing but make a lot of noise and hover
are not what the event is all about.
Thanks,
FT

Scar 01-07-2008 12:56 PM

<<snip>> ...weight MINIMUM of 35 pounds DRY. <<snip>>
I'm thinking the above will sorta limit the interest of the folks who just want to hang on the prop.

Looking forward to seeing this! My Meister Corsair only weighs 26# or so, so I won't be able to get in! Maybe if I stuff an old shoe inside...

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

mstroh3961 01-07-2008 04:37 PM

Sounds like a great time for the dinosaurs in the hobby.....:eek:

as722 01-07-2008 05:21 PM

So what you're saying is that aerobatic airplanes are welcome as long as they're not hovering over the runway, right ? I can understand that if that's the case.

Albert

Red Scholefield 01-07-2008 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: as722

So what you're saying is that aerobatic airplanes are welcome as long as they're not hovering over the runway, right ? I can understand that if that's the case.

Albert
They don't do it at Oshkosh, why should the do it at MONSTER MODELS. Everyone that has been to any kind of a meet has seen it until they are bored out of their tree with it. Of course I may be one of a minority that appreciates real modeling and would rather see a 16 foot span Friedrichsafen GII in flight.

Johnny Mojo 01-07-2008 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: as722

Albert
They don't do it at Oshkosh, why should the do it at MONSTER MODELS. Everyone that has been to any kind of a meet has seen it until they are bored out of their tree with it. Of course I may be one of a minority that appreciates real modeling and would rather see a 16 foot span Friedrichsafen GII in flight.

Cheers to ya Red and all the guys with the big ones! After reading some of the comments, at least I won't feel so bad the nextime I use the term CJ in vein.

Have a good time you old "real modeler" you!:)

J.

Johnny Mojo 01-07-2008 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: FTiano

What I said was I don't care to have Flip Flop and 3D type aircraft taking up the airways.
Nice Scale models of good looking Scale Aerobatic Aircraft are certainly welcome.
But ARFs with Office Door size ailerons, 4 feet long, that do nothing but make a lot of noise and hover
Thanks,
FT

Then perhaps this thread should be moved out of "Giant Scale Aerobatic and 3D" and maybe into Giant Scale:) I'm just sayin..........

J.

Taildragger726 01-07-2008 10:36 PM

Thanks,
FT
Is this thread is on the wrong page? No offence FT, you put on some wonderfull events, but you sound a little hostile. Might want to say limited or no 3D flying.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...LANEGIANTS.gif

50%plane 01-07-2008 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny Mojo

Thanks,
FT

Then perhaps this thread should be moved out of "Giant Scale Aerobatic and 3D" and maybe into Giant Scale:) I'm just sayin..........

J.
I can't agree more. I can't wait for all the video to come back of the old farts who can't fly smashing their 35+ pound aircraft into a crowd of spectators.......

Sure Frank's probably a good stick, but most warbird pilots that I fly near scare the schizzle out of me sometimes. AND!!!! There's nothing wrong with warbirds, but the piloting skills of many who fly them.

50%

Taildragger726 01-07-2008 10:48 PM

Red, did ya ever see Wayne Handley flying the Turbo Raven? I did.;)

Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway 01-07-2008 11:29 PM

How about that Jim Leroy doing flip flop over the runway:eek: Course he could not hover for 80 seconds but in my opinion if he coud have he would have[X(]
Hey I am about to join AARP......maybe...you might....require

Naaaah.

BTW I have been to (spent my money) on several of the Top gun events. Yeah pit passes and all. Wouldn't you know it? The crowd pleasers were the noon day demo with the 22 foot B-29 doing his version of the flip flop. The noon demo's have bee my favorite but that is just a personal point of view.

mstroh3961 01-07-2008 11:34 PM

I guess Mack Hodges wont be invited to fly the B-29........[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

trentmark 01-07-2008 11:41 PM

I remember a few years back when we, "the old farts", were afraid the hobby was dying due to an ever rising average age. It is great to see all the young pilots that have started flying over the last few years. 3D has obviosly sparked this renewed interest for many young and old alike. There are many 3D events to attend all over the country. This won't be one of them. Just because you don't like the way they fly don't bash them for it. There is plenty of flyins to satisfy both groups. I think it is great that FT has organized an event to satisfy the needs of the large scale modelers. Remember without them RC wouldn't be where it is today. I wish them many happy flights.

JBanks523 01-08-2008 12:07 AM

Thanks,
FT
Does this mean I can burn down the runway repeatedly while making lots of noise with my Mustang or does this mean i would have to adapt some of those pesky cannisters?....

flying skunks 01-08-2008 07:18 AM

I believe that this thread is in the WRONG place,should be posted on the SCALE forum if you don't want any 3D planes to be there.

Johnny Mojo 01-08-2008 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: trentmark

I remember a few years back when we, "the old farts", were afraid the hobby was dying due to an ever rising average age. It is great to see all the young pilots that have started flying over the last few years. 3D has obviosly sparked this renewed interest for many young and old alike. There are many 3D events to attend all over the country. This won't be one of them. Just because you don't like the way they fly don't bash them for it. There is plenty of flyins to satisfy both groups. I think it is great that FT has organized an event to satisfy the needs of the large scale modelers. Remember without them RC wouldn't be where it is today. I wish them many happy flights.
I agree whole heartedly Mark, but once again, those "bashing" comments were put out there by FT and RS, NOT the Aerobatic guys. It's just another illustration of a larger generational issue in our hobby.........grumpy guys in black socks who don't like or agree with the younger crowd. O.K. maybe that was a little too broad brushed, but you get the idea..........

J.

exeter_acres 01-08-2008 07:47 AM

The event sounds GREAT.....

Seriously....

but might double check dates... I don't know if it would affect sponsors, spectators or pilots, but the Tucson Aero Shootout is October 8-12, 2008

Any event that promotes RC is a GOOD event!

Cheers

mithrandir 01-09-2008 05:21 AM

I love everything that flies and I am a bit dissappointed at all the insulting remarks going back and forth here.

We are all modelers.... we should all at least tolerate others passion ... and particularly you 3D guys... I hold all of you to a higher standard!!!

We have our 3D Throw-Downs... let the Super Giants have their Scale Fly-Ins. Certainly no skin off our nose huh?

Stickbuilder 01-09-2008 06:25 AM

For starters, not everyone who flys Giant Scale Aerobatics buys into the 3-D thing. There are still tons of us who fly the Aresti pattern with our Giant Scale Aerobats. If we fit the criteria as to weight, and size, I believe that we would be welcome at this event.

I wonder how much of the rhetoric that I see posted here is in regard to the ARF's not being welcome at Top Gun, and how much of this negativism is backlash toward that.

Frank, Go for it. You have given way more to the hobby than you will ever take from it. My hat is off to you, Sir, and more power to you. It's nice to see someone with the cajones to do something like this for all of us (whether we appreciate it or not). Seeing what is going on around the world will benefit all of us.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

P-51B 01-09-2008 08:53 AM

Every airplane that leaves the ground is flying 3-D.

I hope Frank's event is succesful, and I wish I had the bling to afford a model that could fly in it.

mogman 01-09-2008 07:52 PM

Can't wait to find out the dates, so I can book time off work. It will be a long drive from Vancouver, B.C..
I hope that there will be dry camping at the flying site, as I can combine the event with seeing some of the States.

Cheers, Dave.

RTK 01-09-2008 09:27 PM

I like all forms of modeling and flying. I do them all (scale, 3d, etc), not good at any, but I still have fun:) and that is what it is all about. Hopefully this event will go over real big.