Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Help Modeltech sukhoi 29 need a brushless system

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Help Modeltech sukhoi 29 need a brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
fanflv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Modeltech sukhoi 29 need a brushless system

I'm building a Modeltech sukhoi 29 and like to use brushless power,but I'm very confused on all the choices out there.
I think I need about 1500 watts
Saito 1.20 is recommended for this plane
Can anybody help me out with this setup?
Thanks for any info
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM
yawstick
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Help Modeltech sukhoi 29 need a brushless system

I'm fairly new to this site and electrics as well but I have converted a Seagull Yak 54 90 size to electric. I believe this is a similar size plane to yours. I went low buck and got all the electrics from hobbypartz.com They have been out of stock on a lot of stuff since I ordered my equipment. I have been pleased with the performance of the equipment I'm using on the Yak.

Their monster power brushless motors have specs very close to the e-flight motors. However they do not have a 90 size electric motor. I've only made a couple of flights using the 60 size brushless with an 80 amp ESC and 5000 ma 6s battery.  Plenty of power for aerobatic flight but probably  not enough for 3d stuff.

I've had a 16 x 8 apc prop but want to try a 14 x 9 to try to improve flight time. MotoCalc is a great to for sorting thru battery, prop, and motor variables. I recently got a 110 size motor but have not yet tried it. The 60 size is claimed to be a 1200 watt motor and the 110 is 2000 watt.  That is all dependent on your battery and prop selection.

I think propped for the same power the 110 motor should be a little more efficient..

Hope that helps
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
fanflv

Default RE: Help Modeltech sukhoi 29 need a brushless system

Thanks for the info,I'm looking into two choices , the eflite 60 or a little more with scorpion 4025-10 Both are around $100
I'm not into 3D stuff just sport flighing ,but this Modeltech sukhoi is about 9lb so I'm going with 100watts for every pound which is 900 W plus some for vertical that's about 1200-1500W
Also do you worry about cooling ? Should I cut the cowling for air flow?