Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Butterfly

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 AM
ddock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Butterfly

Rookie at this...Patience please,
I have an almost completed Butterfly(Big RC trainer glider).I want to put an electric motorin it. The original plans call for a .15 size engine. What size motor would be good for this...and what do I need ??
Thanks,
DD
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
soarhead-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Butterfly

I also have a Butterfly with a OS15 on it. While my son-inlaw was deployed last year I borrowed his EFlite 15 outrunner and used 4S A123 packs to power it. Flew great with this power unit and balanced perfectly. . I have seen them fly with the EFlite power 10 outrunner on 3s lipos and they climb out well also. The plane will climb out great on around 300 watts, better than a OS15 will. Several years ago there was one in this area powered by a old brushed 550 Monster truck motor and a gear box Takes very little throttle to just cruise around once you get up.
I would suggest you use the search function in the upper right area of the page in this section and also in the sailplane section. There are many Butterfly threads and most have some electric conversion comments. Also Google "electric Butterfly" and I'm sure that will work for other sites.They are great relaxing flyers, mine is over 25 years old now I think and still fly it a few times a year.

Good Luck
Bob