Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

NEW TO ELECTRIC ( wanting to convert to electreic)

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

NEW TO ELECTRIC ( wanting to convert to electreic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
jeffreyheslop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TO ELECTRIC ( wanting to convert to electreic)

ok here is my story
i have a 3D CMP Giles 202 , about 6 lbs. i see that i am to use a motor thats around 1200watts. from there i start to get stressed out and not know what to get for a battery or speed control.
i get stressed out cause with glow i throw on the engine add the fuel give her a tuning and after some flipping and a little bleeding and its started. well until you get a dead stick [:@].
i have heard that there is something you can use so if your esc fails you dont lose control of the plane.
also the prop, the motors that i have looked at say i should use a prop thats 14 - 16 in length. that will be too big and hit the ground, so as i said im way out in left field here and would really like some help
thanks jeff
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NEW TO ELECTRIC ( wanting to convert to electreic)

Jeff,

I use a separate battery to run my RX and servos instead of a BEC. If you want to run a 2S lipo to run your RX and servos you will need a regulator, and I would suggest one with a failsafe switch.

An electric motor is just like a glow engine for all intense and purposes in that it puts power to the prop. If a 14" prop is too big you can always go to a smaller prop with more pitch. The nice thing about an electric is you can put a watt meter on it and see if the prop choice is too much load.

Now for your battery and ESC quandary, the motor will have a suggested cell count range and maximum amperage draw. Once you know that getting what you need is pretty easy. I have an Ultimate bipe that is slated for a conversion. the motor I bought for it is 70 amp max draw and will run 5S so I will use half of my pattern packs (5s 4000mah pack) to run it. The reason for the high mah in my application is that I have them and won't need to buy yet another pack for this plane.

I hope that helped clear up some things for you.

Pete
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/gilesg2023d46.html]THIS[/link] your plane?

You can use a Hobby King easy match 46, Monster power 46, Tacon 46, EMP 46, 5s 5000 mah battery, 60 amp ESC turning a 13x8 3 blade prop should give around 9 1/2 pounds of thrust.

I use a Monster Power 46 in my Giles 202 46 sized and it rips it off the ground. I am swinging a 12.x6.5 and have a real good time.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._46_Glow_.html

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224326

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAA39&P=ML

Buzz.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM
jeffreyheslop

awesome guys thanks for your help
Old 02-25-2012, 02:10 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The best money you will spend would be to get a watt meter of some type. it really helps you understand the MAJOR changes just swapping props will make. I am new to larger electrics, and it has helped me understand, and kept me from burning anything up.

The meter will be cheaper than any decent motor or speed control.. It will save you money and pain !
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
dbarnes6

Hey man I'm a newbie to electric too. Everything these guys are saying is true. Blvdbuzzard has especially been helpfull in answering any questions I have had. He is a very knowledgable guy, and he got me into the budget shopping thing. All those websites he mentioned are very inexpensive, but I stumbled accross another company that is just as cheap and their warehouse is based right here in the states. www.valuehobby.com Check it out. They should have what you need, and I got my order in less than five days. I try to buy american and if I can't which you will be really hard pressed to find any electronics components that are made in america these days, then I at least try to find companies that are based and distribute here in the states. The watt meter is pretty awsome. I bought mine from value hobby and I would say that it is just as good as any of the higher priced one out there. They have two different ones. One is rated for a MUCH higher amperage so make sure that is the one you get. Cheap batteries too.

Thats what little I can contribute

Danny