Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Electric to glow

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Ranger2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric to glow

The subject of this conversion is a 10 1/2 ft wing span B-36, scratch built. It's set up for geared 400 size electric motors. What size glow engines would be required to power this airplane? I don't know what the finished weight will be.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electric to glow

Should we reserve you a room at the loonie bin now? That's where you'll be after trying to synchronize SIX little glow engines...

What "400 size electric motors" are you talking about specifically? There are "400 size" motors out there capable of transmitting 300 Watts to a propeller. 10-1/2 feet seems a bit large for cheap can Speed 400s, even geared.

Seriously, to go to glow you will need to beef up the wings and engine mount area to withstand the vibration of the engines. The plane was probably designed to be very light, and won't hold up to six engines shaking away.

That said, I'd think you'd probably need at least a .15 2-stroke in each nacelle.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Ranger2000

You made me smile, thanks. This project is being attempted by a member of our club. A very ambitious modeler if you can't tell. Yes this plane is built very light. Sheeted built up wings with a lot of foam around a built up air frame. I've not seen the plans for this craft so I don't know many of the facts about it. He said geared 400's, I know nothing more than that. I told him I'd put the issue out to the more informed on RC Universe and see what others have to say about it. As far as choice of glow engines, he was looking at Norvel .15's as these little engines run very well and are extremely smooth. Thanks much for your input
Old 10-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Dave Lilley

You can get Speed 400 "sized" brushless motors that when geared, such as a Hacker, that can put out a serious amount of power, especially when geared.