Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

6.7:1 Planetary Gearbox & Taller Landing Gear?

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

6.7:1 Planetary Gearbox & Taller Landing Gear?

Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7:1 Planetary Gearbox & Taller Landing Gear?

I have a Funtana 40 converted to Electric. I have a Hacker B50 on it with a 5.2:1 planetary gearbox. I would like to put a 6.7:1 gearbox on it. I was wondering if I can just replace the gears to make it a 6.7:1 ratio or do I need a new gearbox? If I do need a new gearbox where can I order one from?

Also does anyone know where I can get the taller carbon fiber landing gear?

Thanks for any help.

Hal
Old 04-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: 6.7:1 Planetary Gearbox & Taller Landing Gear?

Hal,
My Funtana is swinging an 18 inch prop (Maxcim motor). I went to larger wheels (had some nice Williams slim racing wheels) and bent the tail wheel until it just barely clears the rudder. I fly off gras and I've had no problems.

If you really want composite gear look at the Chief aircraft site or maybe Fiberclassics.
Walt
Old 04-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Walt Thyng

Sorry, forgot about your gearbox question. From what I know you can't change the ratio of a given planetary box; you have to buy a new one. That's what makes the Mini/Inner Demon and MEC gear boxes so neat --- lots of ratios available just by changing the pinion.
Walt
Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 AM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Walt

Are these gearboxes you have suggested planetary boxes? If so where can I buy one and what size will fit a B50? I am new to the larger electrics so it is hard for me to tell from the web sites I have looked at what will fit a B50.

Thanks.

Hal
Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Walt Thyng

Niether are planetary. The Demon series (do a google search for Inner Demon to get their web site) is what is called an "inner driven" gearbox. sort of hald conventional and half spur and pinion, but very queit and effcient. The MEC is a "conventional" spur and pinion gearbox. To check them out and get help go to [email protected] that's the Maxcim motors site. Tom is a great guy and will give you the straight scoop (I own three of his fantastic motors). He is a vendor for the MEC boxes (because of personal choice I will not do business directly with MEC) and also E-Calc which in my opinion is the easiest to use of the performance estimation programs.
walt